Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Algonquin Brookies, June 16
sparky302
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 - 09:37 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 4572

Very nice catch and great report Drew someday i should adventure into the park and try for brook trout....

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Drew
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 - 10:44 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8190

To answer fishnhunt...just flatlining. A few were caught with jighead & minnow/worm including the laker in about 15 feet, but most were caught on a 1/4oz Cleo trolled with some flavour attached. Same as you, I wonder about lakes I've tried and caught nothing, or places I trolled through on my way somewhere else. Example; On our annual May fishing trip, our group tried this one little lake for years and years in a row, we'd portage in and fish it for an hour or so, all around and never a bite. After several years we basically thought it was a dead-zone, with no trout. Then, all of a sudden one year it started puking up lakers like crazy, and we caught something like 80 fish out of that lake. Then it became our go-to lake when our 'home lake' wouldn't produce. Majorly productive for the last 4 or so years. This past May I went in there and tried all the tricks...nothing!? Who knows why? (We release 90% or more, so not like it's fished out)

Sparky...I think you should!...I'd be happy to take you on a little trip sometime...I'm not too sure I can get you into fish the size you're used to catching, but I have a number of places to try! Places quite easy to get to, some harder, and many more lakes I've not been to, but are on my bucket list. Turns out Algonquin has around 1500 lakes or so, and the highest concentration of brook trout lakes on the planet, so possibilities are endless!

Thanks for comments guys...I love leaving the motor boat behind and carrying a canoe into the unknown...just the best type of fishing for me...lakers or specks, doesn't matter. The bugs could seriously F-off though.

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 - 10:54 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 6034

Nice going Drew. I hear you on the skitters in the bush. Pretty much as bad as it gets right now.

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Jun 18, 2018 - 06:40 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 15869

Thanks Drew for getting back to me. I think if I had to keep just one boat it would be the canoe for sure.These speck trips are what I look forward to every year. Nice to hear the specks are still biting this late in June. Tight lines

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Jun 18, 2018 - 10:16 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

Drew.... a most detailed and enjoyable report to read. I think you have amzing adventures and wish I could still lug a canoe into back lakes as I di when younger and up north for the Sutton and Brant rivers where brook trout fishing was ridiculous.

I look forward to your next adventure and report....

Drew
Posted: Jun 18, 2018 - 04:45 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (Longshank @ Jun 18, 2018 - 10:16 am)
Drew.... a most detailed and enjoyable report to read. I think you have amzing adventures and wish I could still lug a canoe into back lakes as I di when younger and up north for the Sutton and Brant rivers where brook trout fishing was ridiculous.

I look forward to your next adventure and report....

I'm trying my best to never get old, but the inevitable will happen someday.

I may still be able to run a boat, but trips like this might become out of my reach, so I'm trying to take advantage as much as possible while I can.

Glad you enjoy the reports.

PMEmail Poster
Collingwood Dean
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 - 05:56 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 9535

What a great day!!

PMEmail Poster
sparky302
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 - 06:29 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Drew @ Jun 17, 2018 - 10:44 pm)
To answer fishnhunt...just flatlining. A few were caught with jighead & minnow/worm including the laker in about 15 feet, but most were caught on a 1/4oz Cleo trolled with some flavour attached. Same as you, I wonder about lakes I've tried and caught nothing, or places I trolled through on my way somewhere else. Example; On our annual May fishing trip, our group tried this one little lake for years and years in a row, we'd portage in and fish it for an hour or so, all around and never a bite. After several years we basically thought it was a dead-zone, with no trout. Then, all of a sudden one year it started puking up lakers like crazy, and we caught something like 80 fish out of that lake. Then it became our go-to lake when our 'home lake' wouldn't produce. Majorly productive for the last 4 or so years. This past May I went in there and tried all the tricks...nothing!? Who knows why? (We release 90% or more, so not like it's fished out)

Sparky...I think you should!...I'd be happy to take you on a little trip sometime...I'm not too sure I can get you into fish the size you're used to catching, but I have a number of places to try! Places quite easy to get to, some harder, and many more lakes I've not been to, but are on my bucket list. Turns out Algonquin has around 1500 lakes or so, and the highest concentration of brook trout lakes on the planet, so possibilities are endless!

Thanks for comments guys...I love leaving the motor boat behind and carrying a canoe into the unknown...just the best type of fishing for me...lakers or specks, doesn't matter. The bugs could seriously F-off though.

Drew Maybe in the fall i can make a day out of it fishing down there !!!
I would enjoy fishing the park with you ...

Drew
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 - 10:21 pm

Trophy Trout

Sometime in September sounds good to me! Let's keep it in mind.
Make sure your not followed when you come...maybe change vehicles with a friend or something the day before. Hahaha

PMEmail Poster
sparky302
Posted: Jun 20, 2018 - 06:28 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Drew @ Jun 19, 2018 - 10:21 pm)
Sometime in September sounds good to me! Let's keep it in mind.
Make sure your not followed when you come...maybe change vehicles with a friend or something the day before. Hahaha

I can drive my wifes car !!!
You can trust me Drew i would never fish any lakes you take me too unless you go with me and also its far for me to travel to catch brook trout .I like fishing in my back yard !!!
Sept sounds good to me ...

Nuclear
Posted: Jun 20, 2018 - 07:58 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 3419

Nice catch great looking fish enjoy

PMEmail Poster
linemanac
Posted: Jun 20, 2018 - 11:11 pm

Fry

Member No.: 14841

good job! looks like a wonderful day well spent in the park.

I will be there in 2 weeks hope I get some luck on my side as well

PMEmail Poster
ik0n
Posted: Jun 21, 2018 - 06:47 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 10392

Nice brookies!

Keep up the good posts!

PMEmail Poster
FISHINGWITHFRANKIE
Posted: Jun 21, 2018 - 02:11 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12828

Hey drew wicked report. im heading there the 7-14th of sept. any tips for someone relatively new the brook and spec game? feel free to PM if youd like.

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Jun 21, 2018 - 04:30 pm

Trophy Trout

If you can switch the name of September to May, you will do well. Other than that, just be prepared to switch tactics till you find them. Troll, jig, deeper, shallower etc. One thing I'm doing now is I'll take BOTH minnows and worms, as brookies seem to sometimes be picky enough to prefer one over the other. I made a deal with myself years ago to never go speck fishing without worms again. Never. Finding a good lake I'd say is the most important thing.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace