Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Ling advice
bowmajik
Posted: Jan 03, 2018 - 06:47 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10723

Hi all, I've been coming up to nip for a number of years now and I'm wanting to try and target ling specifically. My question is how? I've only ever caught one mid day by fluke, I foul hooked it in the side jigging a Williams half and half. So what's the technique what jig or lure is best etc. Thanks in advance and as always tight lines

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Jan 03, 2018 - 07:46 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

The ones I have caught are always right on the bottom just sitting there....
Both were caught on minnow..
Hut operators have told me not to chum the bottom as it will bring in the ling... So I guess chum the bottom with some dead minnows...

PMEmail Poster
vaveiro83
Posted: Jan 03, 2018 - 07:46 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 8473

From what I understand, you will have better luck in the evening, that’s when we have caught them, and we were using minows about 6”-12” off the bottom. Haven’t caught that many but I hope to this year as they are tasty.

PMEmail Poster
Fishingmaster344
Posted: Jan 03, 2018 - 09:40 pm

Fry

Member No.: 5431

We've only caught 2 in our years going up but both came off of a glow buckshot spoon tipped with a minnow. From what I've seen the keys are night fishing and keeping on bottom and glow lures are a must. Would like to hear what others have had luck with because they are super fun to catch and taste delicious

PMEmail Poster
Mongol
Posted: Jan 03, 2018 - 11:10 pm

Fry

Member No.: 7495

Chum the bottom. They bite at night, so start fishing when the sun is setting. Glow in the dark jig or lure tipped with minnow - bang it on the bottom. Dont lift the bait more than one feet above bottom. My favourite is a glow in the dark little cleo.

PMEmail Poster
gossimer007
Posted: Jan 04, 2018 - 07:18 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 8513

had one hit my spreader on the tip up at night. thing was a hog hand bombing it in.

same thing tho. off bottom.

had someone catch one at another lake and was so fat!

when they cut the belly open to see what it had been eating. about 100 minnows came out and someone else's plastic lol.

PMEmail Poster
sancandan17
Posted: Jan 04, 2018 - 06:18 pm

Fry

Member No.: 8703

Caught a few burbot/ ling last winter. Always throughout the night and sitting close to or on bottom. They are good fights when you hook one

PMEmail Poster
Fishin fan
Posted: Jan 04, 2018 - 07:15 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 6321

I put a bad boy or Meg’s on bottom with a salty. 2’ up is a hook with a live minnow. Dead stick on a m/h rod with spring bobber. Drop to bottom and reel TIL the spring just starts to bend. If it raises he’s grabbed bottom. It bends he’s grabbed top. Works for me any ways. Good luck.

Dave.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace