Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> How do you preserve dead minnows?
esoxrocks
Posted: Feb 08, 2018 - 08:02 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15385

So I'm probably about half a kilometer off of memorial park, right off the main entrance road. I've gone out many times since then and I seem to be having just the worst luck.

I'm targeting perch, in maybe 16' feet of water, and I'm just using minnows on hooks. Problem is, these minnows are about 4 weeks old. I got them the first week of the season, got skunked, so I froze all of them. My buddy suggested I add a bunch of salt to help preserve them, but now they're pretty much just slimy muck.

Questions are: How do you preserve your minnows? I thought perch would go after dead minnows, does anyone have any success with deads? Would the smell of rotten minnows be enough to drive away all the fish?

Disclaimer: Definitely not my first season of ice fishing, BUT it is my first with my own shack so I'm just trying out new things.

PMEmail Poster
Fishchaser67
Posted: Feb 08, 2018 - 08:27 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 4782

Put them in a bagie with salt and put them in the fridge or frezer. ..tight lines

PMEmail Poster
atventure
Posted: Feb 08, 2018 - 08:29 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 13515

Also if you first kill them by adding a few teaspoons of windshield washer fluid to the water it will take 10 mins to kill the minnows but the alchohol in the washer fluid will help keep them shiny and preserve them too, then into a baggie of salt in into the fridge/freezer

PMEmail Poster
steeler58
Posted: Feb 08, 2018 - 09:23 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 14985

Salt , coffee grinds . Put in ziploc bag then fridge or freezer.

PMEmail Poster
buddy
Posted: Feb 08, 2018 - 09:41 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5461

You stated that this year you have a shack so why not leave them under the ice at the shack. They will stay alive until you've used them all.
At the start of the season I bought some larger bait and also pinheads, I haven't used up all of the larger bait and they are still there, as lively as the day they were purchased.
When targeting perch, live minnows will out produce dead ones unless you are jigging.The dead ones can be used for chum. I frequently find the chum I put down in the stomach of the perch that I've caught.

PMEmail Poster
kenster
Posted: Feb 08, 2018 - 10:05 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12683

having tough luck.What I do is drill two holes 8 ft apart.Minnow on dead stick in 1 hole.On the second I jig a medium shiney spoon tipped with a minnow head.Seems to draw them in.Also fish seem to like the action of lively bait so make sure you jig the dead minnow frequently.

PMEmail Poster
Sterling
Posted: Feb 08, 2018 - 10:23 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 9678

Obviously expensive, but I don't put a minnow in the hole unless it's lively. I check all minnows routinely and change out any dead ones. Chop up dead minnows and throw em down the hole, or throw em on a spoon for jigging.

If you're on a well, you can keep minnows alive at home for a long time. Just make sure they have a constant supply of clean, cold water.

PMEmail Poster
FishingChef
Posted: Feb 08, 2018 - 10:24 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 15394

drain the water, salt them and place them into a Ziploc bag or container to freeze for later use or refrigerate for closer use

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Feb 08, 2018 - 12:50 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

If they are now 'slimy muck' tosss them in your garden

these will just sour your hole.

Next time you get fresh ones you can do the salt preservation thing after they go belly up, but right away, not 3 weeks later

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Fochy
Posted: Feb 08, 2018 - 07:08 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 13370

I would 100% use fresh live minnows over a dead one would never think about preserving them

PMEmail Poster
Icehog
Posted: Feb 08, 2018 - 10:41 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7626

I usually put them in a bag and salt them. Keep frozen until next use. Always works for me. Tight lines.

PMEmail Poster
FishCrazyT
Posted: Feb 09, 2018 - 11:41 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 7751

QUOTE (atventure @ Feb 08, 2018 - 08:29 am)
Also if you first kill them by adding a few teaspoons of windshield washer fluid to the water it will take 10 mins to kill the minnows but the alchohol in the washer fluid will help keep them shiny and preserve them too, then into a baggie of salt in into the fridge/freezer

I donít know if you have success doing this but I would stay clear of this just because of the odor of the washer fluid. I know this is very inhumane but I add coarse pickling salt into the water while the minnows are still alive. Obviously the salt brine kills the minnows within minutes and you get the same result as your windshield washer fluid. It keeps the scales very shiny and keeps them from flaking off. After they are dead, lay them flat on paper towel not to overlap to extract as much moisture as possible. After they are pat dry, I layer them on coarse pickling salt not to over lap, cover, repeat with as many layers as you have minnows. Larger minnows take longer as their insides take longer for the salt to extract all the moisture. Usually, I leave them for 24 hours. I segregate the minnows according to size and put them into ziplocs and into the freezer. I know that sounds extensive but itís really not. The scales turn out super shiny and they work great in a pinch. Especially if you only need the heads!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace