Hunting Forum Hunting Regulations    
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Algonquin Wolf
fishon2
Posted: Mar 24, 2018 - 06:20 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10106

if its on your property and you have chickens or any animals as far as that goes have at it, just my way, i shoot a yote a week dont think about it, and yes i am saving a fawn or 2 this spring, o ya and my chickens

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Mar 24, 2018 - 09:00 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

You guys are one funny bunch. On one tread you are all sad about the last male northern white rhino dying and how human helped extinct these animals. On this tread people giving the thumbs up to shot the last 500 Algonquin wolfs over a few eggs.

Load up and give them hell! Nothing like fresh field run chicken eggs!

But if you make the news... these same guys who says thumb up to shot away... will be the same guys to ask for your head on the chopping board.

PMEmail Poster
Lazinator
Posted: Mar 26, 2018 - 05:45 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 589

QUOTE (Fish4Dinner @ Mar 24, 2018 - 09:00 pm)
You guys are one funny bunch. On one tread you are all sad about the last male northern white rhino dying and how human helped extinct these animals. On this tread people giving the thumbs up to shot the last 500 Algonquin wolfs over a few eggs.

Load up and give them hell! Nothing like fresh field run chicken eggs!

But if you make the news... these same guys who says thumb up to shot away... will be the same guys to ask for your head on the chopping board.

You are comparing poaching an animal into extinction simply because some idiots believe that its horn has some magical power, and protecting your property from a predator.

Not one single person in this thread advocated or was "giving thumbs up" to shoot a single Algonquin wolf, let alone all 500 of them.

There's an estimated ~250 of them that live outside of Algonquin park, OP's chances of running across one of them vs a coyote are what, 1:100? 1:500? 1:1000?

Would you watch a wolf tear your dog into pieces in front of your eyes while you are holding a rifle and do nothing about it?

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Mar 27, 2018 - 04:42 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

First off... I can care less about coyotes or Algonquin wolves. Subject titles say Algonquin wolf so I am pointing out that they are protected so the OP needs to be careful and not get into trouble. He is not asking for peopleís opinion either. He is asking about the rules and laws.

As to your question if you would protect your pets... sure but not always you go unpunished. So comments like...do what you want to do to protect your property as long as you donít advertise it... is misleading to the OP question.

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Mar 28, 2018 - 12:19 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

QUOTE (ripley @ Mar 22, 2018 - 12:23 pm)
3 weeks ago a coyote tried luring my dog off my property into the bush.....where the pack was waiting,scary stuff

Yep, that's exactly what they do.

PMEmail Poster
Fishin fan
Posted: Mar 28, 2018 - 05:28 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 6321

S.S.S. Shoot, shovel, shut up.

Dave

PMEmail Poster
thrillhouse
Posted: Mar 29, 2018 - 10:18 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 3420

QUOTE (Fishin fan @ Mar 28, 2018 - 05:28 pm)

Dave

Exactly what I came to say!

Shut up being key here.

PMEmail Poster
steph491
Posted: Mar 29, 2018 - 11:12 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 2752

I understand the issue here, about protecting your pet/small livestock. But promoting poaching on this site is not what I was expecting to see. I have the feeling that's why some of our game are doing so poorly and why a lot of people cant get tags, people are doing the S.S.S.

Just surprised that people are so open about it, so I cant imagine how many people do it for real.

PMEmail Poster
steelheader
Posted: Mar 29, 2018 - 12:15 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 315

QUOTE (steph491 @ Mar 29, 2018 - 11:12 am)
I understand the issue here, about protecting your pet/small livestock. But promoting poaching on this site is not what I was expecting to see. I have the feeling that's why some of our game are doing so poorly and why a lot of people cant get tags, people are doing the S.S.S.

Just surprised that people are so open about it, so I cant imagine how many people do it for real.

Hey Steph; There is no mention of poaching here , just members asking for their rights in protecting their live stock and pets from predators ..

Coyotes for the most part have an open season year round , they are carnivous predators ..Who bye the way destroy small game and even fawns and some time calves ..

To state that taking coyotes,coons,skunks and mink, weasel and martin (under lic) can cause a decline in game populations is "Wrong" if anything taking out predators increases the wild life population ..

Dave

PMEmail Poster
steph491
Posted: Mar 29, 2018 - 12:56 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 2752

All what I was saying is if it out of season or protected, you decide to shoot it. Itís poaching. Doesnít matter the reason except if you have the go ahead from the mnr. Like I said I understand the issue and a proper way and legal way is what I always did and do things.

I was raised on a farm and we had problem with coyotes and livestock also with black bear and corn field. You just need to contact the MNR, they will come investigate and give you the how you can do to fix the situation legally. Either modify your setup, they will try to catch and relocated the animal or gave you a nuisance permit.

I'm not trying to Highjack or to raise trouble. Just don't want to see anybody get in trouble by shooting something and getting in trouble.

Like you said, if you have a license, go head shoot them all, that's not the issue here. I believe in predator control as I do so.

Anyhow, everybody take they own decision and deal the result.

PMEmail Poster
nuzpaper
Posted: Mar 29, 2018 - 01:11 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 2396

The "Algonquin wolf" is BS. It's no different from the wolves in my area. Government treehuggers blowing smoke up your butt. The ability to hunt them won't matter anyways once the Algonquin land claim is settled. Most people who fish or hunt on crown land from North Bay down to Kingston over to Hawkesbury and back up to Mattawa are out of luck.

PMEmail Poster
king killer
Posted: Mar 29, 2018 - 01:43 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3332

Dave

X2. It really is that simple

PMEmail Poster
Fishin fan
Posted: Mar 29, 2018 - 03:55 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 6321

Didnít mention poaching. Also the op did not say it was an Algonquin wolf specifically. He said wolf and coyote in the Algonquin area. I saw a snake in massasauga park. Doesnít mean it was a massasauga rattler. People need to learn to ďreadĒ whatís said, not what they want to argue about.

Dave

PMEmail Poster
CousinHippy
Posted: Mar 29, 2018 - 08:28 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8483

QUOTE (thrillhouse @ Mar 29, 2018 - 10:18 am)

Dave

Exactly what I came to say!

Shut up being key here.

I gotta get on here more frequent those were my sentiments exactly. X3

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Apr 02, 2018 - 05:07 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8547

I would agree with Steph on this. Contacting the MNRF is always the safest way (to stay away from penalties). If they say you can shoot, shoot. if not, do what others have suggested and fortify the barracks. endangered species, you should always try to look for non-lethal means.

Someone provided a link to endangered species and what not. I was reading through (although off-topic) the red-sided dace has a stronghold in the ravine behind my parents backyard. My siblings and I used to bring little kids nets and catch minnows in the creek. I caught everything from small largemouth (no more than 4-5 inches), to creek chub, crawfish and plenty of red-sided dace. we had no idea it was an endangered species or what it was for that matter. but we used to net minnows look at them and release them and run home to excited to our parents. never kept any thankfully.

about 7 years ago, the area behind my parents house was set to be developed and the developers wanted to slap in a huge 10-story apartment building. my parents having bought the house because of the location and ravine behind the house for privacy, the direction of the backyard faces the sunset (which we enjoyed over the past 2 decades having small campfires in the backyard at sunset, or sunset swims in the pool) gathered the local community who were all in the same boat and fought this. originally the town of Oakville was 100% for the development because it would bring in money. but a local conservation officer who got wind of this came in and said the area had one of the top 5 largest breeding populations of red-sided dace in Canada, lived in the waters of that creek spanning approximately 1.5 km, passing right behind my parents house. the development of this area would destroy the creek and the habitat for the red-sided dace and as a result, this 10-story apartment building quickly became a small community of townhouses. developers who at the start said to my parent's committee "lady, we are going to make you a deal. we will slap a 10-story apartment building in your backyard and you will just have to learn to deal with it." ended up losing millions on this because of one little breeding population of a small minnow.

Just something to consider regarding species at risk and the impact they can have.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Marketplace