Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Anyone change out their trebles?
tjames
Posted: Jan 09, 2018 - 01:15 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 12662

Wondering if anyone changes out the trebles on their lures for other trebles or just single hooks?

PMEmail Poster
toothhealer88
Posted: Jan 09, 2018 - 01:30 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 689

Last year I changed them on my buckshot rattle spoons to a single hook and a red jenson egg and my hook up ratio got better.It was also easier to take the perch off.Regards alan

PMEmail Poster
Andy14
Posted: Jan 09, 2018 - 02:00 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7784

I usually change out trebles for single point.
Sometimes I change out trebles on the bottom of jiggin raps for longer shanked trebles.
For me generally I like wide gap, long shank and a single point......less to get in the way of a hook set.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Jan 09, 2018 - 02:25 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (Andy14 @ Jan 09, 2018 - 02:00 pm)
I usually change out trebles for single point.
Sometimes I change out trebles on the bottom of jiggin raps for longer shanked trebles.
For me generally I like wide gap, long shank and a single point......less to get in the way of a hook set.

Andy. longshank all the way

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
FishmanSC
Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 01:21 pm

Fry

Member No.: 14883

I am so suprised when I meet other anglers and they show me their lures. first thing i check is how sharp the hooks are and if they have quality hardware. for me I religously check every single hook on each lure for sharpness and any signs of rust.

I try to change each hook with a high quality hook. imo, VMC is durable but not sharp, and Owner or gamagatsu hooks are by far the best option for hooks. i have yet to find a hook from a new pack, that was not seriously sharp. havent had any bend outs or snaps ever.

PMEmail Poster
Grandpa Jim
Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 05:16 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5550

X2 on Gamakatsu and Owner hooks. The red Gammies are a favourite. All Gammies have a significantly smaller barb than most other single or treble hooks which makes catch and release an easier task.

PMEmail Poster
riplipsdrinkbusch
Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 11:17 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 12688

Sometimes Iíll change my trebles on my ice lures to a slightly smaller treble usually a red one. From what I hear it resembles blood to some fish. Not sure if true or not tho. I put red trebles on the front hook of some of my crank baits for open water. I also find that when a smaller hook sinks in the mouth of a fish it stays in better than a bigger hook especially them fish with hard bony mouths. My opinion anyways

PMEmail Poster
tjames
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 06:56 am

Smolt Trout

What size trebles do you guys use for perch and walleye? 14?

PMEmail Poster
thanh
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 08:14 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3415

jigging raps for perch, I use to change the treble hook for one with a bead.

PMEmail Poster
FishinGuy
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 10:25 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3087

QUOTE (FishmanSC @ Jan 10, 2018 - 01:21 pm)
I am so suprised when I meet other anglers and they show me their lures. first thing i check is how sharp the hooks are and if they have quality hardware. for me I religously check every single hook on each lure for sharpness and any signs of rust.

I try to change each hook with a high quality hook. imo, VMC is durable but not sharp, and Owner or gamagatsu hooks are by far the best option for hooks. i have yet to find a hook from a new pack, that was not seriously sharp. havent had any bend outs or snaps ever.

I too use those along with trokar sometimes.

PMEmail Poster
Kier
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 10:36 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10851

QUOTE (riplipsdrinkbusch @ Jan 10, 2018 - 11:17 pm)
Sometimes Iíll change my trebles on my ice lures to a slightly smaller treble usually a red one. From what I hear it resembles blood to some fish. Not sure if true or not tho. I put red trebles on the front hook of some of my crank baits for open water. I also find that when a smaller hook sinks in the mouth of a fish it stays in better than a bigger hook especially them fish with hard bony mouths. My opinion anyways

The blood things false, reds the first colour to disappear under water due to light refraction and stuff. The blood myths a common one.

PMEmail Poster
thrillhouse
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 11:56 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 3420

I just bought a few trebles of different size from the bait bucket. All the new ones have beads on them and I'm going to replace some of my older ones on my go to lures with these new ones.

PMEmail Poster
Seguin Fisher
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 07:15 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 9952

I just ordered some more bulk packs of Mustad KVD elite triple grips from eBay. I started using them on my crankbaits and jerkbaits a while ago and canít believe the difference. They are super sticky sharp and the wide gap/turned in angle really helps grab the fish, the bass can jump and jump but very few come off any more. Iím pretty anal about hook sharpness/condition so I change em out a lot, way easier than trying to sharpen them properly and if you buy bulk you can get em fairly cheap compared to a small pack at Bass Pro or other places.

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 09:10 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10648

I change a lot of my trebles and usually add the beaded ones for hard water fishing....in the summer I use a lot of Rebel Crayfish....if you use these change the snap rings as they are Chinese steel and open up.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
tjames
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 09:23 pm

Smolt Trout

What size beads trebles do you use?

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace