Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Boots for ice fishing, Need advice
Miha
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 10:50 am

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 4230

QUOTE (miro @ Jan 12, 2018 - 10:46 am)
Why don't you try contacting them send a few pics and express your concerns. I believe there based out of stony creek. Who knows they might send you a new pair.

I did. Left a message on their answering machine. For some reason there is no way to contact them via their website. There is a page, but there is no form on the page
https://www.baffin.com/contact-us-a/266.htm

PMUsers Website
nocod
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 02:14 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 401

Just found a boot at tsc,absolute canada name,working great around the house.cheap ,at 60 bucks it was worth a shot.

PMEmail Poster
ik0n
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 02:33 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 10392

QUOTE (Miha @ Jan 12, 2018 - 09:40 am)
I was hopping to change from Baffin for the understandable reason, but it seems like I'm stuck with them

Just because a product failed, doesn't mean all the rest of their products are going to fail...

I see this so often when someone bought Car Brand "X" and they'll never buy Car Brand "X" again because a plastic piece broke, or a power steering pump broke, etc...

There is human involvement in almost all aspects of manufacturing and when there's humans involved then there is potential for error.

The important thing is what does the company do to make it right. Or did you have the boots for a LONG time and is it expected wear and tear?

This past spring I bought a pair of Salomon hiking boots for backpacking trips and some stitching gave out. I sent an email to their warranty department, was asked for a couple of photos of the boots and the problem and less than a week later I had a new pair of boots arrive at my doorstep! I don't EXPECT this pair to fail, just because the first pair failed.

Now, if you buy another pair of Baffins and have the exact same issue, then perhaps you can start to blame the company for lack of QC... (although it could be a poor design in the first place). When's there's an established pattern of failure, that's when I think it is fair for someone to decide they want to steer away from a certain brand.

Typically with rubber soled boots with upholstered uppers like you've shown, the connection between the two is the likely place for failure.

And I'm not just saying all this because I have a pair of Baffin Titans and love them for Ice Fishing... (nor do I work for Baffin )

PMEmail Poster
vitaly
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 02:38 pm

Fry

Member No.: 6520

QUOTE (miro @ Jan 12, 2018 - 10:46 am)
Why don't you try contacting them send a few pics and express your concerns. I believe there based out of stony creek. Who knows they might send you a new pair.

This.

PMEmail Poster
papafishr
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 02:50 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 13142

Hi, I have a contact for baffin (direct email). PM me & I'll send you her contact info.

In regards to the boots of choice (getting back to your post),,
I own a pair of Kamick Mamooth Boots. Their not as high as the titans (if I'm not mistaken) which I found a bit easier to walk with.

Rated -70
Rubber throughout, lightweight & pretty comfy, going in 2nd year with them and no complaints. They go on sale at CT and I got mine for $70.00 last year.

In regards to pack boots, I did buy a pair of Baffins this season.
Snow Monsters.-70 rated.. Nice boots, but the size 11 was too big and the 10 was too small. Returned them.

Sticking with my Mamooths for now.
Strapped on some cleats & yesterday's conditions were no match for my boots !

Still didn't catch any fish however,,but as mentioned,,,"that's besides the point"

If you're still looking to get hold of Baffin, Pm me.

PMEmail Poster
Blake85
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 03:13 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12915

$100 Red Heads from Bass Pro.

600d thinsulate, never get a soaker, can still change gears on the quad

One downfall, you can get a little sweaty in there they donít breathe all that great

I just pack extra socks

Blake

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Tim Anderson
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 04:00 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 10493

Slushy day nats rubber boots rated for -90 and lighter then my running shoes
Snowy day or anyother ice fishing day gks camo ones(they come in black or camo camo is 10 bucks more ) rated for -110 i believe and just as light as the nats.
Had baffins sorels and liked them. Found my feet were sweaty and legs tired from walking in then. Nats and gks no sweaty feet and dont know they are on.

PMEmail Poster
Andy14
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 04:12 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7784

Any solid, tall rubber boot with a really good liner.....never, ever get wet.....it's the best when you are over reaming your augered hole and getting water everywhere.

PMEmail Poster
okeung
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 04:27 pm

Fry

Member No.: 9791

also have baffin titans paired with kahtoola ice spikes, ice, snow, no problem

PMEmail Poster
isthereice
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 04:37 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 10280

whatever boots you get don't overlook putting studs in them for the ice. I did it this year and it's the best thing I ever did for traction. 3/8 inch hex screws from home depot are what I used with Shoe Goop on the threads to lock them in. They haven't come out and I don't even think about slipping anymore.
you do have to wait 48-72 hours after installing the screws for the Goop to dry. I think others who've had problems with screws coming out probably didn't wait long enough for the Goop to set.

PMEmail Poster
goingout
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 04:58 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 13298

Army surplus you can buy MICKEY MOUSE boots they are great,thats what I wear...

PMEmail Poster
kevb81
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 05:54 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4937

There's a thread on the northern lakes called "best boots"

PMEmail Poster
JWPHOTO
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 06:12 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 14974

lol totally read "boats for ice fishing" and thought frig there must be a lot of water on top of the ice right now

On a positive note.... I know what boots to buy now

This post has been edited by JWPHOTO on Jan 12, 2018 - 06:13 pm

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Alphaalpha
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 06:36 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 6902

NATS. So light and warm. Itís unbelievable how lightweight they are.

Cheers,

AA

PMEmail Poster
burnzy1945
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 06:49 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3334

Completely satisfied with my Baffin Titans.
Fourth season, well used.
The ability to remove the liner for quick overnight drying beside the wood stove at a hunt camp has come in handy.
Walking like the Michelin man is hip, right?

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace