Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Fish processing question
WalleyeSashimi
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 03:04 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10308

Hi everyone,

Heading out on Sunday and needed some thoughts on a couple things.

I'm taking the perch haul back to my parents' place who I think unfortunately might be a bit squeamish about having a ton of fish cleaned in their kitchen. I don't have the knife skills or speed to effectively clean as many perch as I hope to catch before getting home.

I was thinking of doing this method - taking the guts out while in Port Bolster, and then slicing off the fillets at home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxXKnXzPjXM

Question: Is it okay to gut fish in an operator's hut like that if I clean up carefully? Was thinking of bringing my own cutting board and garbage bags for it.

Secondly, someone told me that CO's ask you for a breakdown of who has caught how many fish (will be 2 of us). I was thinking of keeping all the fish in a Clam Fish-well thing so that they don't freeze up solid. Is it usually sufficient to just tell them "all the fish are in here, I've caught 10 and my dad's caught 8" or do they want to see each person's fish physically separate?

PMEmail Poster
nuzpaper
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 03:19 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 2396

Perch are easy to gut. Just do it outside the hut and clean up so no mess in the hut or ask your parents to stay out of the kitchen for awhile;) I have never had a problem with perch freezing then cleaning them afterwards if you are worried about keeping them separate for the CO's. I find them easier to clean when they are a little stiff. Good luck out there!

PMEmail Poster
mydogbites
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 03:53 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 414

I would rather filet at home with a sink, water and warmth then outside in the cold kneeling on a piece of board, your choice, perch really don't have a lot of guts so why waste fishing time when you could be catching. Second question, it may matter to a CO if one person has a sport and the other a conservation licence who caught how many. Know your limits play with in it, or practice conservation and let some swim away, go back later and get them again. Just remember its fun catching but cleaning up a limit of perch can become very tiring and change everything. Ive only done it once and learned my lesson, now I take enough for a meal.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 04:12 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

Go to caseys after your trip and do them there...he's got it all. toos him a few bucks and you can have fillets done with skin on...Simple solution for you.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
WalleyeSashimi
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 04:15 pm

Smolt Trout

Casey's does filleting?

PMEmail Poster
hammerincameron
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 06:05 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 5503

Should probably just let them all go or give them to your buddy.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 06:09 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (WalleyeSashimi @ Jan 12, 2018 - 04:15 pm)
Casey's does filleting?

no , but facilities are there is what I meant plus a descayler....

perch are easy to fillet...learn

xiaolu
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 06:29 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (mydogbites @ Jan 12, 2018 - 03:53 pm)
I would rather filet at home with a sink, water and warmth then outside in the cold kneeling on a piece of board, your choice, perch really don't have a lot of guts so why waste fishing time when you could be catching. Second question, it may matter to a CO if one person has a sport and the other a conservation licence who caught how many. Know your limits play with in it, or practice conservation and let some swim away, go back later and get them again. Just remember its fun catching but cleaning up a limit of perch can become very tiring and change everything. Ive only done it once and learned my lesson, now I take enough for a meal.

it may matter to a CO if one person has a sport and the other a conservation licence?

I would think it may in fact matter regardless what kind of licence(s) each of the two may have.

For example let's say both of you two have the very same sports fishing licence. And you two have 51 perch in total in one single/same bucket. If a CO shows up, and is asking what number of perch each of you two are keeping in this bucket, where is the proof that say you kept 25 and your buddy kept 26 (instead of you kept 51 which is over your legal daily catch and keep limit, and your buddy caught nothing)?

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Longshank
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 06:35 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (xiaolu @ Jan 12, 2018 - 06:29 pm)

it may matter to a CO if one person has a sport and the other a conservation licence?

I would think it may in fact matter regardless what kind of licence(s) each of the two may have.

For example let's say both of you two have the very same sports fishing licence. And you two have 51 perch in total in one single/same bucket. If a CO shows up, and is asking what number of perch each of you two are keeping in this bucket, where is the proof that say you kept 25 and your buddy kept 26 (instead of you kept 51 which is over your legal daily catch and keep limit, and your buddy caught nothing)?

o boy.....here we go again

mydogbites
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 06:46 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 414

seriously if your fishing with someone that cant catch a perch perhaps they need to take up a different hobby

PMEmail Poster
WalleyeSashimi
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 06:50 pm

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (Longshank @ Jan 12, 2018 - 06:09 pm)
QUOTE (WalleyeSashimi @ Jan 12, 2018 - 04:15 pm)
Casey's does filleting?

no , but facilities are there is what I meant plus a descayler....

perch are easy to fillet...learn

I know how to, it just takes me longer than iíll Have time to do up there, so trying to think of a way to split the difference between fully cleaning them at home and doing most of the dirty work up here (guts out) and the more finesse-y part at home (cutting clean fillets).

PMEmail Poster
Fishabout
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 06:56 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 13839

If you gut them first it will make it harder to fillet later. You will be spending more time for nothing.

PMEmail Poster
thanh
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 06:57 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3415

QUOTE (xiaolu @ Jan 12, 2018 - 06:29 pm)

In the court of law, the accused has to be proven guilty. Where is the proof that the buddy didn't catch any?

@ WalleyeSashimi. If you are so worried about it, just keep your fish separate. enjoy your day worries free.

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Jan 13, 2018 - 03:14 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (mydogbites @ Jan 12, 2018 - 06:46 pm)
seriously if your fishing with someone that cant catch a perch perhaps they need to take up a different hobby

haha. The point is (let's try with a different example): My buddy keeps 35 and I keep 55, all kept in one single bucket. We don't exceed our combined limit of 100, but I already exceed my limit of 50.... And then no proof whatsoever can be found in court to prove that I keep fish over limit! Therefore I say the law is seriously flawed. The law should have been defined in a way such that this (guilty yet can not be proved) can not possibly happen in the first place....

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Gunplumber_Doug
Posted: Jan 13, 2018 - 06:07 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 8764

Give this video a shot. Really easy to clean and quick.

https://youtu.be/pjTlFwQb7D0

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace