Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Maiden Voyage- Alumacraft Competitor 205, GOT IN THE WATER!!! Shenanigans Report
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Apr 21, 2018 - 07:28 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9047

Finally broke out to get the maiden voyage out of the way!

First stop was Port Whitby. Took a look at the water, ramp, and the building winds and decided to take my game elsewhere. I am not a Lake Ontario guy, and figured that doing a first launch and pull on the big O was not my cup of tea. With the winds building I expect I would have been riding some big swells if I took that plunge and ventured out the the open water. No thanks! Lol

Got back on the 401 and headed to the Kawarthas. Chemong was the destination. Went to the west launch next to the causeway. One boat trailer was already there, and another pulled in just after me. I decided to let the Nitro launch first as I gathered my nerve.

Although I have launched hundreds of times, this was my first attempt with a brand new boat that surpassed my last boat by nearly 5ft. The ramp was new to me, tight, steep, and the boat was new to me to add to the stress! Lol. Keep in mind, the Yamaha SHO had never even been fired by me up to this point.

I powered up my Minn Kota Ulterra thinking I could launch just like the guys on TV! Hahaha launch it, deploy the motor, anchor mode, and pick myself up at the launch... I decided to put my daredevil girlfriend in the boat so if the boat drifted away with an Ulterra malfunction... well, sheíd be with it at least (she has zero experience operating a trolling motor or outboard. 😳)

As mentioned, the launch was steep and I was not familiar with the bunk speed on this boat, so I chose to leave my winch line on... yeah, I know... stupid! Lol. I backed in okay but the boat lifted earlier than I expected which had the boat swaying over the edge of the trailer. Yikes! I jumped out of the truck and finagled the boat back over the trailer and had to time the drift to give the truck some gas to reload the boat on the bunks... crazy. Lol, then I was so hyper focused on the timing i didnít even notice the truck shifter was in reverse! Gave it a punch and felt the truck bump backwards! WTF OMG and all that jazz!

Finally got everything back in line to restart. Lol what s-show. I think I was just trying too hard to be careful and in turn, completely lost my normal calm and collected thought process.

This time, I popped the latch and softly dumped the boat... she floats! Woo hoo! Then I used my trusty Ulterra remote to back it up a bit and nail it down with anchor mode. Parked the truck, and came back to drive the boat back to me... thank god it worked! Lol

After all this madness I was thrilled when the SHO started without a flinch. Motored out a bit at trolling speed and pushed my power button on my trusty Humminbird Helix ... nothing... no power... This day is not going my way! Lol

After 10 minutes of contemplating ripping in to my wiring job, I looked at my girlfriend and rightfully stated ďOMG I am in full idiot mode todayĒ. Yeah, the main power switch was off on the cockpit control. Like I said, no clue where my brain was today, but it was not on the boat with me!

The Helix powered up no problem after my stupidity cleared. Did 1 hour of 1000 to 2000 rpm break in, and about 20 minutes of getting on plain and easing off the gas.

Tried for some perch in between, but was not having success with that either so I decided to pack it up.

The pull was not nearly as eventful as the launch, but still worthy of a few more grey hairs... the crosswind was brutal, and no rail guides to coax the boat on the trailer was a challenge.

So, was today a success? Absolutely! Was it easy? No even close! Lol

Just like anything... of you overthink what you know, things go sideways! Itíll be easier on my next trip out, cause it canít be any more challenging! Lol

Below... the boat at Chemong prior to the layers of utter failure. Lol

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Apr 21, 2018 - 07:29 pm

Trophy Trout

Port Whitby before I moved to Chemong

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Apr 21, 2018 - 07:29 pm

Trophy Trout

On the water

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Apr 21, 2018 - 07:30 pm

Trophy Trout

Remote controlling my boat, my girlfriend, and the dog back to safety.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
chazD
Posted: Apr 21, 2018 - 07:32 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 11172

Nice. My dream boat there.

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Apr 21, 2018 - 07:41 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (chazD @ Apr 21, 2018 - 07:32 pm)
Nice. My dream boat there.

Thanks! She is a beautiful machine.

For the record... yeah, I could have said nothing, acted cool, and pretended that everything went perfectly... but hey, I hope I gave someone a chuckle at my expense, and if so, it was all worth it!

PMEmail Poster
steelheader
Posted: Apr 21, 2018 - 07:49 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 315

Hey ; Congrats on the new vessel .. Are you going to name her ??

Those trailer guides are worth their weight in gold, I sure wouldn't be without ..

Have a great season .. see you on the water ..

PMEmail Poster
Fish Guru
Posted: Apr 21, 2018 - 08:22 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 7554

Congrats on a successful maiden voyage. I was busy today but I'm doing my maiden voyage tomorrow. Little to no wind and I'm doing it on gloucesterpool in port severn. Only launch around without ice. This launch is literally a giant rock not a poured pad and is extremely steep but I have used it with other boats so some of the jitters will disappear. gonna putt around for an hour then an hour just on plain. Then a top speed run. Won't sleep much tonight knowing tomorrows the big day

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Apr 21, 2018 - 08:27 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (Fish Guru @ Apr 21, 2018 - 08:22 pm)
Congrats on a successful maiden voyage. I was busy today but I'm doing my maiden voyage tomorrow. Little to no wind and I'm doing it on gloucesterpool in port severn. Only launch around without ice. This launch is literally a giant rock not a poured pad and is extremely steep but I have used it with other boats so some of the jitters will disappear. gonna putt around for an hour then an hour just on plain. Then a top speed run. Won't sleep much tonight knowing tomorrows the big day

Best of luck FG! I am excited for you, and will be happy to be able to sleep properly for the first time in 2 weeks. Waiting, and knowing you need to do the first launch never gets easy regardless of how many boats youíve owned!

All the best!

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Apr 21, 2018 - 08:28 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11890

QUOTE (steelheader @ Apr 21, 2018 - 08:49 pm)

Those trailer guides are worth their weight in gold, I sure wouldn't be without ..

Ya gotta name her!! My wife thought I was totally nuts when I put the lettering on the sides of my bass boat, now she's showing signs of pride because I'm getting such good response to it!

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Apr 21, 2018 - 08:48 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (Goshawk @ Apr 21, 2018 - 08:28 pm)
QUOTE (steelheader @ Apr 21, 2018 - 08:49 pm)

Ya gotta name her!! My wife thought I was totally nuts when I put the lettering on the sides of my bass boat, now she's showing signs of pride because I'm getting such good response to it!

Yeah, as you both mention... I gotta do it!

Original name was to be - Wiser Time ( from The Black Crowes), but after seeing her on the water and taking a run... Iím debating...

She suits The Black Pearl very well, but just too mainstream, and the OPP may assume my livewells are full of rum. Lol

Iím leaning towards The Kraken, but will have to sleep on that one.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Apr 21, 2018 - 09:12 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Great report.. I'm not sure but it looks like your truck keys beside you in the one pic. Don't learn the hard way put those puppies away..lol..
Boat guides for sure will really really help..
Keep up the posts and I'd like to tell you that there won't be any more mishaps but I'm sure there will be...lol.. Just learn from them..

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Apr 21, 2018 - 09:33 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (fishmagnet @ Apr 21, 2018 - 09:12 pm)
Great report.. I'm not sure but it looks like your truck keys beside you in the one pic. Don't learn the hard way put those puppies away..lol..
Boat guides for sure will really really help..
Keep up the posts and I'd like to tell you that there won't be any more mishaps but I'm sure there will be...lol.. Just learn from them..

Hahahha... the keys, yes, put them away right adter that pic. I always bring an extra one and pack it separately just in case, but you are right, bad place to leave the key... and my phone with all my ID.

PMEmail Poster
VanSlyke
Posted: Apr 22, 2018 - 06:00 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 6978

Congrats! Looks unreal!

Perfect first outing in my mind. Nothing went wrong enough to damage anything in the slightest and nobody was hurt! You learned a few things to remember for next time and spent the first beautiful spring day on the water!

PMEmail Poster
happy
Posted: Apr 22, 2018 - 09:14 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 3188

Nice boat and a memory you won't soon forget. At least you had the plug in her unlike some launches I've seen. LOL Congrats

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace