Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Maiden Voyage- Alumacraft Competitor 205, GOT IN THE WATER!!! Shenanigans Report
toothhealer88
Posted: Apr 22, 2018 - 10:05 am

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 689

Congrats-let the fun begin,enjoy.

PMEmail Poster
bassmasterrr
Posted: Apr 22, 2018 - 10:41 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 13353

Thatís a beauty boat man Iím jealous

PMEmail Poster
HuskyMusky
Posted: Apr 22, 2018 - 11:47 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 11716

very nice boat

PMEmail Poster
Canuckbass
Posted: Apr 22, 2018 - 05:57 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 13286

Great rig!!!

No guides needed, leave front of bunks out and carry some speed and it'll slide in place perfectly. They're made to fit.

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Apr 22, 2018 - 06:40 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10648

Enjoy your new toy Blackcrowe.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
miro
Posted: Apr 22, 2018 - 07:09 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3947

Well at least you didn't forget to put the plug like someone I know,lol. Great report Blackcrowe,
She's a beauty, hope you have a great season on the soft water bud.

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Apr 22, 2018 - 07:14 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11890

QUOTE (Canuckbass @ Apr 22, 2018 - 06:57 pm)
Great rig!!!

No guides needed, leave front of bunks out and carry some speed and it'll slide in place perfectly. They're made to fit.

I agree....I have a pair of 12" roller guides on the very back edge of my trailer (they were on it when I bought the boat). I haven't touched either of them since I bought the boat 3 years ago. Line that puppy up with the trailer and keep the speed just a hair above idle and it'll slide right up to the front bumper.

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Apr 22, 2018 - 07:25 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9047

QUOTE (Goshawk @ Apr 22, 2018 - 07:14 pm)
QUOTE (Canuckbass @ Apr 22, 2018 - 06:57 pm)
Great rig!!!

I agree....I have a pair of 12" roller guides on the very back edge of my trailer (they were on it when I bought the boat). I haven't touched either of them since I bought the boat 3 years ago. Line that puppy up with the trailer and keep the speed just a hair above idle and it'll slide right up to the front bumper.

Agreed, and thanks for the tip!

I used to do exactly that and will be trying it on a ramp I know. Challenge in this case was the water looked pretty shallow at this launch and I am not quite familiar with my motor depth when trimmed down. My old 40hp tiller was easy to turn quick trimmed up a bit... this 115 has some serious weight to it. You really gotta muscle it to turn when you trim it up a bit.

I expect it will take a couple of months to get accustomed with the motor depth, as well as controlling the giant tiller when trimmed up. Gotta start doing some left arm curls! Lol

I also like the guides when the wind is howling... I can make a mistake and recover easily. Power loading can get pretty hairy if lose your line late! Kamikaze!

Thanks for the compliments on the rig all, and if you see me on the water or at the launch, stop by to say hello!

PMEmail Poster
burnzy1945
Posted: Apr 23, 2018 - 08:09 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3334

Great report.
Don't worry, first dates are usually awkward.

PMEmail Poster
Dinky
Posted: Apr 24, 2018 - 05:22 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 212

Good read Crowe........I once launched out of bluffers with my son who was young at the time....
Backed boat in launch with son holding bow rope.......boat in .....I go to park.....get out of truck and my son is yelling.......dad.....DAD......the boats taking on water........I run down ..jump aboard....race to the back to feel a round hole where my plug should be.......sh•t......run to glove box .... grab one of many spares( always good to have a few spares).....plug the hole......phew!......turn on bilge.....boat is very full by now........tell son......remind me when we get back to check ramp for plug.....thought it must have fallen out......it was my sons chore to place it before we launched.........when we returned later that day......put boat on trailer.......and started howling......now there was two plugs in stearn of boat??????
My son plugged the live well drain.....lol
I quickly checked in the morning before launching but it was dark and we were excited to get into some kings......it's all good.........nice boat.......tight lines
Greg

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Apr 24, 2018 - 05:53 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9047

QUOTE (Dinky @ Apr 24, 2018 - 05:22 pm)
Good read Crowe........I once launched out of bluffers with my son who was young at the time....
Backed boat in launch with son holding bow rope.......boat in .....I go to park.....get out of truck and my son is yelling.......dad.....DAD......the boats taking on water........I run down ..jump aboard....race to the back to feel a round hole where my plug should be.......sh•t......run to glove box .... grab one of many spares( always good to have a few spares).....plug the hole......phew!......turn on bilge.....boat is very full by now........tell son......remind me when we get back to check ramp for plug.....thought it must have fallen out......it was my sons chore to place it before we launched.........when we returned later that day......put boat on trailer.......and started howling......now there was two plugs in stearn of boat??????
My son plugged the live well drain.....lol
I quickly checked in the morning before launching but it was dark and we were excited to get into some kings......it's all good.........nice boat.......tight lines
Greg

HHAHAHA!!! Thatís hilarious!

I think leaving your plug out has to be the funniest and most panicked situation when launching boats. I almost look at it as a passage of rights to become a boater. Most anyone that has owned a boat has made the mistake.

Two years ago at IBP I was feeling like a champ at launching and loading alone. I took pride in the fact that I was like a well oiled machine on the pad... then my cockiness got the best of me. I launched and tied the Princecraft up, and went to park the truck. When I returned I was about half a foot deep in water at the back of the boat... plug was back in the truck. Flock of Seagulls... I RAN!!!
Lol... embarrassing, and the carpet never seemed to fully dry after that mishap. Lol

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Apr 24, 2018 - 06:13 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Make sure you put the plug in the right hole.. Live well hole is right there.. Trust me this mistake happens as well..lol

PMEmail Poster
Bayliner
Posted: Apr 24, 2018 - 06:46 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 22

In all of my years boating, I've never forgot the cork.

Here's a tip I tell guys that forget. Tape the cork to the winch handle so you can't unload the boat without feeling it. The boat might get a tad wet but catastrophy averted.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Apr 24, 2018 - 10:17 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

Nice rig

We all have brain frats, but the plug is one thing I have never not had in place.

Keep a short checklist in my truck prior to launching. helps

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
smalleye99
Posted: May 03, 2018 - 01:40 pm

Fry

Member No.: 14006

I picked up my new 19' aluminum last May and the trailer guides had been forgotten by the trailer manufacturer. They didn't come in til fall and I really didn't miss them. The bunks are set up so well.

I just put the trailer in the water until the bunks are 1/2 in the water and drive the boat on. It works great every time. Good hand winch and its all over.

Too often I see a boat retrieval with the bunk trailer submerged entirely upto the winch tower or the bunks submerged entirely. It always seems to end with the operator wet to his _uts and trying to float the boat over the trailer. It would be funny if it didn't take 20 minutes of ramp time and a lot of screaming and shouting to retrieve a boat.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace