Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Spiders in the boat, Tips to keep em out
AlconaKevin
Posted: May 01, 2018 - 05:38 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 1397

Ok
Now that i am set up at a slip this year, buddy has done same before says the spiders can get scarey.
Said that many times a spider or 3 would crawl out during the day and scare the pantaloons right off the wife.

I plan on covering the boat for dew and bird poo prevention as well as the obvious rain.

I googled it:

Strategically placed dryer sheets
A tupperwear or two of mothballs left open under cover
Same as above but cedar chips.

Not looking to use any sort of pesticide, i only want to deter these things. There is gonna be a boat on either side anyways.

Thanks in advance eh.

PMEmail Poster
Bayliner
Posted: May 01, 2018 - 06:43 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 22

My boats stay in the water all season with over 20 years under my belt doing so. Most of those years were in marinas.

Just saying from experience, but if you don't use insecticides, you are fighting a loosing battle. Especially in marinas.

There are a few marinas that spray for them though. Unless that's been banned too.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: May 01, 2018 - 07:29 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

Sad to say, but deterents have not done any good at all, especially if you have other boats beside you.

a good spray for spider control is only way I now of

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
steelheader
Posted: May 01, 2018 - 08:52 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 315

QUOTE (Bayliner @ May 01, 2018 - 06:43 pm)
My boats stay in the water all season with over 20 years under my belt doing so. Most of those years were in marinas.

Just saying from experience, but if you don't use insecticides, you are fighting a loosing battle. Especially in marinas.

There are a few marinas that spray for them though. Unless that's been banned too.

" NOTE GUYS"

It is illegal to spray pesticides within 15 meters of any water body or stream ,river etc..

The manufactures labels state " MOST PESTICIDES ARE HIGHLY TOXIC TO FISH AND BIRDS"

These laws are in place to protect our environment and life forms , please as concerned outdoors persons refrain from spraying "TOXIC " product

I will gladly enlarge on this subject on request as we cannot allow indiscriminate spraying to continue ..

DAVE

PMEmail Poster
HuskyMusky
Posted: May 01, 2018 - 08:56 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 11716

few 4 " spiders never hurt......

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: May 02, 2018 - 01:05 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (steelheader @ May 01, 2018 - 08:52 pm)

" NOTE GUYS"

It is illegal to spray pesticides within 15 meters of any water body or stream ,river etc..

The manufactures labels state " MOST PESTICIDES ARE HIGHLY TOXIC TO FISH AND BIRDS"

These laws are in place to protect our environment and life forms , please as concerned outdoors persons refrain from spraying "TOXIC " product

I will gladly enlarge on this subject on request as we cannot allow indiscriminate spraying to continue ..

DAVE

if that be the case, then why do marinas stock the stuff and thousands of boaters use varieties of this product......

mainly used inside with drop curtains down when leaving vessel.

I do get the point/concern though for sure.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Knuguy
Posted: May 02, 2018 - 06:29 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

Do spiders make good bait??

PMEmail Poster
steelheader
Posted: May 02, 2018 - 06:59 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 315

QUOTE (Longshank @ May 02, 2018 - 01:05 pm)
QUOTE (steelheader @ May 01, 2018 - 08:52 pm)

" NOTE GUYS"

DAVE

if that be the case, then why do marinas stock the stuff and thousands of boaters use varieties of this product......

mainly used inside with drop curtains down when leaving vessel.

I do get the point/concern though for sure.

Guys on a serious note , I worked in the pest control business for 14 yrs .. Left in disgust and anger over the indiscriminate application of "TOXIC" products in persons homes , over waterways and even marinas, couldn't take it any longer ..

To avoid any reprecuctions I will not specific any company names or exact product names ..

Companies are very good at masking dangers of their products , all s good "Safe almost every where " ...Read the fine print !!

I have witnessed on many occasions pesticides labelled " HIGHLY TOXIC TO BIRDS<FISH AND INVERTEBRATES" applied to marinas, boat houses , cottages over water .. Highly illegal and subject to major fines if convicted ..

Also toxic products applied inside persons homes where specs state they should be out for a specified period of time ..

I could go on for a long time on this matter as it's a personal battle i hope over time I can perhaps bring this abuse to the attention of those that have the authority to make some positive change ..

All I can ask is .. Read the label on any pesticide , by law they must state the ingrediants, If it states harmful to fish , birds and cautions re human exposure .. Please reconsider your purchase..
A few bugs can't be that bad

Dave

PMEmail Poster
Bayliner
Posted: May 03, 2018 - 06:40 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 22

Vapona.

Google it.

PMEmail Poster
chazD
Posted: May 03, 2018 - 07:35 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 11172

QUOTE (AlconaKevin @ May 01, 2018 - 05:38 pm)
Ok
Now that i am set up at a slip this year, buddy has done same before says the spiders can get scarey.
Said that many times a spider or 3 would crawl out during the day and scare the pantaloons right off the wife.

I plan on covering the boat for dew and bird poo prevention as well as the obvious rain.

I googled it:

Strategically placed dryer sheets
A tupperwear or two of mothballs left open under cover
Same as above but cedar chips.

Not looking to use any sort of pesticide, i only want to deter these things. There is gonna be a boat on either side anyways.

Thanks in advance eh.

What a perfect way to keep the wife off the boat. Lol

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace