Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Boat Registration and tax
sabby
Posted: May 08, 2018 - 12:40 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9998

Get a second reciept for the hull only. You only need to pay tax on the hull, if you break it down you will pay less tax.

PMEmail Poster
gaspumper
Posted: May 08, 2018 - 12:43 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 128

QUOTE (Icemanburl @ May 08, 2018 - 06:48 am)
I also got it for my boat i bought four years ago this fall. We both agreed on $4000 all in, we never talked about tax but if it was to be added on top i would not have bought the boat at that price. How am i supposed to explain that to the GOV?

You don't explain you just pay the 13% tax.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: May 08, 2018 - 01:17 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

You guys

I was happy till today when I got tagged for this stupid thing as well.
now I cannot find my bill of sale ...........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and prior owner has moved I know not where.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
kingphoenix
Posted: May 08, 2018 - 01:23 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10053

"Retail sales tax (RST) is charged on:

specified vehicles purchased privately within Canada from a person who is not a GST/HST registrant

Boats and aircraft
Boats and aircraft are registered by the purchaser at Transport Canada federal government offices. Transport Canada does not collect tax from the purchaser at time of registration. If RST is applicable, purchasers can make payment at any ServiceOntario centre or directly to the Ministry of Finance.

Boats and aircraft purchased outside Canada may be subject to the 8% Ontario portion of the HST. ServiceOntario centres cannot accept payment of the 8% Ontario portion of the HST for boats and aircraft. For more information please call the Canada Revenue Agency at 1 800 959‑8287."

https://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/tax/rst/

PMEmail Poster
Bayliner
Posted: May 08, 2018 - 06:57 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 22

I had a customer who works for CRA tell me there is a statute of limitations of when you have to pay the tax on a used boat. He said it's either 2.5 years or 3.5 years,,,,,,I cant remember. He said if they try to collect tax after that time period, you can tell them to go pound salt. And they will leave you alone.

PMEmail Poster
Andrew.Cutler
Posted: May 11, 2018 - 08:19 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 9308

Hmm Liberals are digging deep for taxes it seems lately. I too received my tax payment request. Iím curios as to what Bayliner mentioned above about 2.5 or 3.5 years later. I think Iíve had my boat for 3 now. I have also misplaced my bill of sale. Can I have a new one made up?

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace