» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Crazy wind.
Knuguy
Posted: May 05, 2018 - 12:56 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 877

Bear in mind that many, maybe the majority, of Canadians with wood stoves are far enough N (in the Boreal, for e.g) where hardwood is quite scarce. I grew up in a house primarily heated by spruce, fir and the occasional birch. The key is moisture content. If it's dry the sap is just good fuel. If you don't believe me just Google it I have no wish to argue.

PMEmail Poster
Fishsniffer
Posted: May 05, 2018 - 01:24 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1597

No doubt , still a handful of my neighbors burning red pine and spruce.

I have plenty of good hardwood out back for years to come.
Rather stick with that .

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: May 05, 2018 - 01:32 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (Knuguy @ May 05, 2018 - 12:56 pm)
Bear in mind that many, maybe the majority, of Canadians with wood stoves are far enough N (in the Boreal, for e.g) where hardwood is quite scarce. I grew up in a house primarily heated by spruce, fir and the occasional birch. The key is moisture content. If it's dry the sap is just good fuel. If you don't believe me just Google it I have no wish to argue.

I agree......had a moose camp north of Geralton and we only had pine/spruce and the odd poplar for firewood.

no issues.....let her dry for 2 seasons before burning and cleaned the pipes yearly.

stayed away from birch

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
chazD
Posted: May 05, 2018 - 01:50 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 11172

Chemong yesterday

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Putaforkinya
Posted: May 06, 2018 - 07:14 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 3100

I'll let u guys know how it goes next winter lol.

My house isn't wood heated. Its just for the fireplace in which I would only put a single log in at a time for ambiance.
Chimney was just swepted last year so I think all should be good as long as it's dry.
I don't doubt anyone's claims above, but I think all will be fine as long as it's dry and I play it smart.

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: May 06, 2018 - 08:58 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

QUOTE (Putaforkinya @ May 06, 2018 - 08:14 am)

Chimney was just swepted last year so I think all should be good as long as it's dry.
I don't doubt anyone's claims above, but I think all will be fine as long as it's dry and I play it smart.

Yup! Keep in mind----dry and draft! Make sure you are getting enough draft to minimize smoke coming out the chimney. Some is unavoidable at the start. I like to use softwood to get it going and the chimney heated up fast. Creosote will stick to a cold chimney---not so much to a hot one.

Lots of info on line to explain the science of it---good for a winter's read while watching the fire. Much better than anything on TV!

PMEmail Poster
7rubicon
Posted: May 06, 2018 - 03:30 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 574

I use only hardwood except for starting. Keep the stove going for weeks at a time. Been four years since the oil tank was filled and it is still half full. Never had a creosote problem. Burns hot and clean. No heat like wood heat. Cheers 7r

PMEmail Poster
Bayliner
Posted: May 06, 2018 - 05:45 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 22

We were out for over 25 hours. Today the wifey finds out both phone lines are dead.

I love Mother Nature.

PMEmail Poster
Fishsniffer
Posted: May 06, 2018 - 08:13 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1597

QUOTE (Bayliner @ May 06, 2018 - 05:45 pm)
We were out for over 25 hours. Today the wifey finds out both phone lines are dead.

I love Mother Nature. 

was up there today to drop off the trailer.
Once we’re settled in will stop by for

River was really high. 2” of bouy markers were sticking out.

Hopefully they get everything up and running soon.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace