Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Ulterra iPilot Link - Humminbird Network, First Impressions
BlackCrowe13
Posted: May 05, 2018 - 08:40 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9047

Hey all,

Today was my first time out trying the Ulterra Link with my Humminbird Helix Mega...

All I can say is, WOW! The follow the contour feature is such a massive help to get around and focus on fishing rather than driving. I picked up my new Ontario Lakemaster chip the day it hit the market. I preordered it with my preferred dealer, and Iím thrilled.

I had some challenges getting it to work at first, but turned off the Ulterra and the Bird, restarted both and they started to work well.

Although bass are not open for a long hike, pike season and walleye season are opening next week. I canít wait to use this new feature to troll contours!

I had the 115 SHO Tiller dialed way down to 2.2mph, and locked it in straight forward position. Hooked on to a contour with the Ulterra and let it steer the front of the boat. Great to save my battery power with it just correcting direction, not pulling the boat around.

How many of you have got your new LakeMaster card, are using the follow the contour feature, and has it changed the way you fish?

I can see this being a massive help, and it changes my entire plan for multi species targeting.

I hate the term... but itís a GAME CHANGER! Lol

PMEmail Poster
miro
Posted: May 05, 2018 - 10:01 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3947

Sounds like a great feature and glad your getting a hang of it. I can really see it being a bonus ledge fishing on those hot summer days. Do you run the Ulterra link direct to the Humming bird or does it have to go through a ethernet box ?

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: May 05, 2018 - 10:18 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9047

QUOTE (miro @ May 05, 2018 - 10:01 pm)
Sounds like a great feature and glad your getting a hang of it. I can really see it being a bonus ledge fishing on those hot summer days. Do you run the Ulterra link direct to the Humming bird or does it have to go through a ethernet box ?

I am only running 1 Helix and the Ulterra so I have been able to dodge buying the Ethernet box and extra cables... $500 savings. For now itís direct, but will be adding another Helix at the bow sooner than later, so will have to get the box eventually.

Overall, I am quite happy with the setup, but of course I would like to add a talon and 2 more sonars... I love Humminbird and Johnson Outdoors products, but man they can get expensive as things add up! Lol

PMEmail Poster
Fossy47
Posted: May 06, 2018 - 06:43 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 9546

FINALLY - I've had the i-Pilot Link for a couple of yrs now and just love it.

Now with the new Lake Master chip (for Canada) i can upgrade my Hummingbird to a compatible unit (to the i-Pilot Link) and buy the new chip.
I agree, this new chip is potentially a game breaker with more time fishing prime water.

Love your idea of using the main motor for propulsion and the bow mount for steering.
My two 12V deep cycle batteries thank-you for that.

All the best in the up coming Bass & Walleye season

Cheers,

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Marketplace