Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Perch Still Spawning?, Keep or release?
colanut
Posted: May 06, 2018 - 03:56 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 14818

I caught three jumbo perch, thinking they were done spawning. One was actually a female full of eggs, and another one milked all over my boat (kind of gross). I only discovered the female once I got home and started to clean them. Would it not have been better to hold off on all perch fishing until the spawn was over? I know this would be tough, but with the crazy weather this year, I hope it doesn't negatively impact future year's potential harvest. I almost never catch and release, as it seems like torture, but I only keep what I will be eating for dinner (don't keep any in my freezer), and they are within the catchable limit in terms of size. All others go back in the drink. Any other thoughts, or am I being converted by the left leaning "Let's only eat plants that have no feelings" group?

PMEmail Poster
TOguy
Posted: May 07, 2018 - 01:20 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 9325

I don't think taking a single female with eggs will impact the population so don't lose sleep over it.

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted: May 07, 2018 - 03:53 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10053

They all get eggs and drop them at some point so it doesnt really matter when you harvest them IMO. Perch fishery on Simcoe continues to thrive and shows no signs of slowing down despite massive fishing pressure, I follow the regs and keep within my limits, sleep great with a full belly of perch.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace