Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Thanksgiving Weekend Pike, Got a new spot!
Drew
Posted: Oct 08, 2017 - 10:36 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8190

Tried a new lake today. Dropped the canoe in at a little bridge on a back road a couple km behind my place. About a half hour paddle upstream through a marsh and then a meandering river, then found the tiny, (aporox. 75 acre) lake we were going for.

Had my 7 yr old girl with me. Saw geese and ducks, a blue heron, a hawk. Once we were there, it took about 10 minutes of trolling and hooked a decent 3 lb pike. Then soon after another...closer to 2 lb.
Some people at a dock sent a drone out to spy on us! That was cool and weird at the same time. We waved and carried on...got a tiny largemouth bass, and then another pike around three pounds.

Everything was released, as my daughter is on some new "I'm not eating anything that we catch" kick? Weird. She even brought up vegetarians at bedtime tonight....(her new grade 2 teacher could be an influence here I think...it's all I can come up with!)...as this is all coming out of nowhere, from the 'whitefish inhaler'.

On the last fish I handed the rod to my daughter, and she got it half way in, and started getting a little worn out, and panicked that it was gonna pull the rod out of her hands!!!! She gave me the rod back, and with what seemed like 47 questions, made sure it was gonna be ok upon release.

Anyway...no pics, sorry.
Was a lot to manage in the wind, blowing us around while playing fish, and her getting restless and needing to pee!

I forgot to load a big rock into the front of the canoe with her, which I normally do when alone, and so the front was sitting up high, and catching a lot of wind, trying it's best to send us wherever it wanted. (I'm not a rookie, just distracted with a 7yr old always talking a mile a minute)

Oh well...we found a new place to go, with what seems like guaranteed success, about a 5 minute drive, and 1/2 hr paddle from home!

Also, the leaves are just about one day past 'awesome' here....great day to get out and spend some time outside.

PMEmail Poster
ginochipchip
Posted: Oct 09, 2017 - 07:24 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 4023

this is great i have a pike spot like that
its only good spring and fall when temps are just right

none stop action

PMEmail Poster
deerhunter
Posted: Oct 10, 2017 - 06:50 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10322

Sounds like a great outing. I wish I had done more fishing trips with my daughters when they were young. Now they are grown. You got to wonder about the vegetarian thing and what her teacher has been telling her. Overall a very enjoyable report.

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Oct 10, 2017 - 07:59 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

Sounds like a fun outing, Drew. We have granddaughters that I have taken fishing, but from the shore rather than from a canoe. One tip, though---rather than use a rock for weight use a big honkin piece of wood or a container completely filled with water.

a drone---really?? too much!!

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 07:50 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8190

QUOTE (deerhunter @ Oct 10, 2017 - 06:50 pm)
Sounds like a great outing.  I wish I had done more fishing trips with my daughters when they were young.  Now they are grown.  You got to wonder about the vegetarian thing and what her teacher has been telling her.  Overall a very enjoyable report.

Yeah...she's my favourite fishing partner!...she's been coming on camping/portaging trips and ice fishing with me since she was 4...and she has a secret rock-bass spot that she won't even tell her uncles where it is!

Hopefully one day she'll carry the canoe, and take her crippled up old dad into Algonquin, while he limps through the trails, on the way to slay lakers and brookies.

Odd though... at dinner she wouldn't eat steak!...and refused chicken the night before!...I've never heard of a 7yr old vegetarian...is this a replacement fad for those fidget spinners?? I did see her slide some bacon into her salad last night though...so all hope is not lost.

I thought she'd forget about this whole vegetarian thing by now, but i know her mom, and well, there's a chance there could be a bit of stubbornness in her DNA.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Oct 12, 2017 - 12:32 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 6034

My niece, same age, also recently declared that she wanted to be a vegetarian. When I pointed out that she didn't seem to fond of eating vegetables, she said maybe she'd just become a "treatetarian".

PMEmail Poster
laker74
Posted: Oct 12, 2017 - 06:53 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 7940

sounds like a good spot,and a great fishing partner. As for the people with the drone, very strange

this isn't the first time where I have heard teachers pushing and or influencing their students in ways where I do not think its appropriate. I have a friend where his sons teacher somehow convinced him he was allergic to something that he is not. makes you wonder who we send our kids to every day.

Thanks for sharing

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace