Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Lake Scugog Bass Fishing
Arossi1
Posted: Jun 30, 2018 - 11:25 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 9830

Hi,
I've been out fishing lake Scugog 2 weekends this year and have only caught 1 tiny bass. Any tips that would help me find some fish on this lake.
Thanks

PMEmail Poster
Putaforkinya
Posted: Jun 30, 2018 - 02:47 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3100

QUOTE (Arossi1 @ Jun 30, 2018 - 12:25 pm)
Hi,
I've been out fishing lake Scugog 2 weekends this year and have only caught 1 tiny bass. Any tips that would help me find some fish on this lake.
Thanks

Ya. Try a new lake lol.

sorry bit that lake doesn't like me either. I just gave up on it lol.

PMEmail Poster
sabby
Posted: Jun 30, 2018 - 03:56 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9998

I took my wife and kids out last night for a couple of hours, caught a pile of fish, the best being a 4lb smallie. The fish were chomping on Scugog, perhaps a change of approach is what is needed.

What have you been doing? I found fish in 4-5 feet deep weeds. Try locating some weedbeds with healthy new growth (the greener the better), and toss a texas rigged worm or craw. If that doesn't work try a stick worm, but they are alot slower to fish, you'll want to move a bit in order to locate the concentrations of fish.

PMEmail Poster
colanut
Posted: Jul 01, 2018 - 02:51 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 14818

I was fishing Scugog weekly for a few years (getting back it to it this year). Find out where the bait fish are, and the bass will be there too. I find that they go for anything moving, such as worm harnesses and rapalas if you use the 3-5 inch range. There's a lot more weeds on Scugog now (new species), so pay attention to your engine noise. You will have to stop to clear the weeds. Scugog bass live in shallow water, never caught any in more thane 5-6 FOW. Luckily the lake is shallow, so find some sunfish, perch or crappie and the bass could be there. Other than that, stick to the shorelines where ever you can access and just throw something at them. Topwater works pretty good too, but be prepared to lose some lures when the weeds take over the lake later in the year.

PMEmail Poster
Attila
Posted: Jul 01, 2018 - 11:48 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11988

I've fished it a few times from the causeway to the north end and in Port Perry as well. I've had success using topwater frogs and other walking baits beside the weeds everywhere I've fished.

It's an odd lake, but the fish are there and sometimes it's as simple as putting a worm under a float first thing in the morning...

Colanut, do you find putting a leader on hinders the fishing or is it worth the risk to leave one off, given the musky?

PMEmail Poster
sabby
Posted: Jul 01, 2018 - 12:10 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9998

Don't bother with a leader. Scugog is loaded with fish, it is a pressured lake and therefore the fish are somewhat more accustom to the average presentation. You really need to put some work in to find the fish but once you do it is well worth it.

PMEmail Poster
Arossi1
Posted: Jul 01, 2018 - 02:43 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 9830

Thanks Sabby,

I think that was my problem. A lot of the weeds I was finding were dead and they didnt produce any fish. I will try finding some healthy weeds to fish.

PMEmail Poster
colanut
Posted: Jul 01, 2018 - 06:10 pm

Parr Trout

When I use lures I don't use a leader. I've lost more lures that way that simply connecting to a snap swivel. However, I tend to have a lot of success with a steel worm harness and a worm. Never had one break off one of those, but set the hook quick or the thrashing will knock them off. Not only a god fight but the acrobatics of the bass is quite entertaining, often with multiple jumps. Also, with the weeds so thick in many places the line will get caught up, so keep the lures moving and rip it through.

PMEmail Poster
Sherlockbonez
Posted: Jul 02, 2018 - 04:58 am

Fry

Member No.: 13678

Did fine on opener, but on sat weeds were dead in both my spots. Ended up mostly letting the kid swim around cuz it was so hot.

PMEmail Poster
Princecraft Guy
Posted: Jul 02, 2018 - 10:51 am

Fry

Member No.: 8842

Find a quiet flat away from the pressure and troll up and down tossing a weightless senko. You will have a limit of 1 to 2 lbers before you know it.

PMEmail Poster
colanut
Posted: Jul 02, 2018 - 02:03 pm

Parr Trout

I went out for a few hours today before the pending storm that has yet to come. Caught a mess of bass and giant walleye. Nice and healthy and 25 inches, but really fat. My first glance in the water and I thought a caught a muskie. It just wouldn't come up. Eventually it did though. Pics on another thread. Bass seem to like the heat. Once again, all fish caught on a worm harness.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace