Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Bon Echo Provincial Park - Mazinaw Lake
kawarthafishing
Posted: Jul 04, 2018 - 04:15 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15320

Headed to Bon Echo this weekend and hoping to do some fishing. Iíve heard mixed reviews about Mazinaw lake... was wondering if anyone has experience fishing this body of water? If so how did you make out and any tips for a first timer?

This post has been edited by kawarthafishing on Jul 04, 2018 - 04:18 pm

PMEmail Poster
Putaforkinya
Posted: Jul 04, 2018 - 08:29 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3100

Not sure about the fishing but the cliff jumping is AMAZING.
That's one of the deepest lakes in Ontario. I think it's something like 500 ft deep in its deepest spot. Even the shorelines are deep right from the hop. I see lots of people trolling there which I assume is for trout but never actually fished there.

Good luck.

PMEmail Poster
gaspumper
Posted: Jul 05, 2018 - 07:53 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 128

Never fished it but seen some nice walleye caught.

PMEmail Poster
ilyukha
Posted: Jul 05, 2018 - 09:09 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12665

The Park and Mazinaw Rock is for sure worth visiting.

Friends have been camping often in July there, showing pictures of nice largies caught in weedy shallows and adjacent lakes (Joeperry lake?).

The Mazinaw lake is very deep and you have to know the spots so your best bet will likely be fishing weedy shallows and lily pads for bass.

PMEmail Poster
pumpkinseed55
Posted: Jul 05, 2018 - 09:54 am

Egg

Member No.: 12460

It can be a tough lake to fish for sure, as is many Park lakes due to pressure.

Lakers- down rig in front of Old Walt Rock or any deep cut shore line. The should be around the thermocline 60' ish which should be setting up now.

Walleye - try lower mazinaw through the narrows as i found it had more reasonable depths

Bass - same deal as walleye but try shallower and into the bays where the depth is 10 ft or less.

I highly recommend downloading navionics. This will give you a few spots and the depth charts needed for this big lake

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Jul 05, 2018 - 11:05 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

Great ATV trails in the area if you ride, we come across from Weslemkoon to this area by ATV on some of our rides.

PMEmail Poster
kawarthafishing
Posted: Jul 09, 2018 - 01:44 pm

Egg

Member No.: 15320

Thanks to everyone for all of your tips and advice. We had a great time camping, swimming and fishing at Bon Echo. Truly breathtaking scenery. Unfortunely didnít have much luck fishing, but admittedly left the boat at the site most of the weekend and opted for the kayaking and hiking trails! Trolled around here and there with a worm harness for walleye and also tried a weighted three way swivel with a little cleo (didnít have a down rigger).

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace