Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Muskie opener, tales of another gone
dmorrs35
Posted: Jun 04, 2018 - 12:09 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8547

Muskie opener was VERY eventful. My dad and I went to pigeon to fish opener. arrived at my sister's place said hi around 9am saturday, launched the boat and started chucking. 14th cast of the season, "what is that behind the... GOOD LORD!!" my first follow of the season looking around 44-46" started figure 8ing with the fish still checking my bait out. then it turns away disinterested.. feeling my heart beating out of my chest, and on an adrenaline high, I start casting furiously and figure 8ing 2-3 times every cast. 20 mins goes by, no other sighting. start drifting down the weedline, and here she comes again! hot on my lures tail! start figure 8ing, and it loses interest finished my 12th figure 8 and a boat trolling spots me and moves right in about 30 feet away and starts chucking lures. fished the area another 30 minutes, switching lures a couple times, no more looks. move on to another spot. casting another weedline, I decide "I haven't texted my gf all day, I should text her to let her know how its goin" text sent, go to cast my lure left dangling in the water, theres a log staring right at it. about a 38-39", I twitch my lure, it moves closer, I slowly start pulling it away, it follows. moving faster, i loop for my first figure 8, still following it. speeding up, bringing the bait to the surface, still being eyed intensely. 7th figure 8, it swipes, misses and takes off. fished the area for another while, no more sightings. fished a few more areas, and a couple more lazy follows. 8 hrs on the water on Saturday, 5 follows and a strike missed by the fish. very eventful first day.

Sunday, we launch the boat, my dad decides to stay back (rough water from all the boat traffic, seized his back up and couldn't do it again) overcast skies look promising. found a sizeable weedbed (weeds were very scarce so fish what you find) 1hr goes by, no action, pull up to the other side, a quick text to my dad confirming when he wants to head home. it starts raining. "PERFECT! downward spike in barometer, should turn the fish on" starts raining a bit harder. one cast deep in the weeds, bumping weeds on the way back, WHAM! my bait is smashed by a low to mid 40s (my estimate of 44"), catches me offguard, and as quickly as it hit, it was gone... 10 feet from the boat... beautiful clear, clean healthy muskie with a bait in its right cheek... i forgot to set the hook after being mesmerized by the power and speed of the strike... just like that, blink of an eye, a probable PB, swims away without a picture to be had... devastated, i fish on knowing this fish wouldn't be back because it tasted metal... 2 more small follows, and after 12 hrs of fishing this past weekend, 8 follows in total, a missed swipe, and a missed hookset. very beautiful fish seen and a couple big ones. no matter how long its been since you've seen a fish, NEVER lose that concentration. the second you do, you wont be ready for the next strike... learned it the hard way... yet, a very exciting weekend on the water with lots of action! you think the itch to fish is scratched by getting out, then this happens and it only gets worse...

How was your opener?

Lesson to the muskie guys out there. if you feel your not 100% in the mindset of "any second now, ill get crushed" and you are not ready to pounce. put your rod down, refocus and start fishing again. i learned it the hard way 100% concentration all the time! or you are left with a goose-egg guaranteed

PMEmail Poster
Muskie_Bob
Posted: Jun 04, 2018 - 04:55 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 14392

Great detailed post, really enjoyed the read. Hopefully your next time out, one of them decides to hang on a bit better.

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Jun 04, 2018 - 05:03 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9047

Great report, and sounds like a great weekend even with the donut.

Itís just begun... lots of time to get some in the boat! 😁

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Jun 05, 2018 - 06:42 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Great report, my heart is pounding just reading it.. LOL

Yes, you have to be in the zone and ready at all times..

It all happens in a split second..

Been there done that.

Sounds like a fun weekend.

PMEmail Poster
Hank Jr
Posted: Jun 05, 2018 - 07:01 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 6860

Great report sounds like fun trip . Next time take the girlfriend along she will show you how its done I hope your Dads back gets better so he can go next time . Thanks for sharing .

PMEmail Poster
randaller
Posted: Jun 05, 2018 - 07:09 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 2009

Great read! Very eventful opener for sure.

At least you were seeing some fish

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Jun 05, 2018 - 12:14 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (Hank Jr @ Jun 05, 2018 - 07:01 am)
Great report sounds like fun trip . Next time take the girlfriend along she will show you how its done I hope your Dads back gets better so he can go next time . Thanks for sharing .

haha, funny you say that Hank, because my GF netting my biggest fish last year. the fish was barely hooked and she got the net unstuck from its hangup on the floor of the boat, and got the net in under the muskie just as the hook was slipping out. she is a VERY good netwoman! she also netted my PB kawartha largie (hair over 5.25lbs) and also my PB kawartha walleye (27") and got all of them on the first try and the ONLY 3 fish she has netted in her life!

also, my dad has a bad back so casting big muskie baits is tough. he only throws shadzillas because they are heavier to cast, but far less water resistance than even double 8s and has to take a break every 5 casts or so. we don't have rod holders so he cant troll those big muskie baits either... he usually fishes for panfish when we are out anyway.

PMEmail Poster
Chad
Posted: Jun 05, 2018 - 11:05 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 13508

Fished a few hours Saturday with a swing and a miss. Finally got first musky of the season. Not big, but a start non the less.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Jun 06, 2018 - 03:34 pm

Trophy Trout

that is a beautiful healthy lookin fish chad! that's awesome you got one! how long was it if you bothered to measure it? 27-28"?

PMEmail Poster
Jake Trout
Posted: Jun 06, 2018 - 05:56 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 1972

Still a great day even without boating a fish. Just getting the follows should give you confidence knowing that you are in the right places and using the right baits. You will get one next time out.

PMEmail Poster
Chad
Posted: Jun 09, 2018 - 06:06 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 13508

Didnít measure. Bout 28ish?

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace