Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Lake trout
4d277
Posted: Jun 13, 2018 - 06:20 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7427

Where are the small one's been out a few times this year all big ones i heard that's when a lake is in trouble

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: Jun 15, 2018 - 06:42 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7713

Keep looking and you will find them. Good luck.

PMEmail Poster
Grandpa Jim
Posted: Jun 15, 2018 - 09:38 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5550

I have kept looking for a number of years now and have had no luck finding small lakers. Lots of trout in the 10 to 18 pound range but no shakers despite running small flutter spoons. It used to be commonplace to have to pop lines and remove and return shakers several times during a morning outing on Simcoe. Friends who are very experienced report the same situation. We used to enjoy the odd trout over twenty pounds but it's been a few years since that has happened. Seems that we still have a good number of decent sized lakers but the little tykes and the big guys have become rare following the MNR cut back in the stocking programme. With the presence of gobies, herring, shiners and smelt it would seem that the rationale of declining forage that affected the stocking numbers could be revisited. I accept that the situation is filled with complex factors but it is worrisome to view the uneven distribution of year classes and the near absence of small lakers.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Jun 15, 2018 - 10:24 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10908

Through the ice I saw a lot of 5-6 lb lakers last winter.

I also used to see an abundance of 1-2 lb lakers 10-12 years ago but I always found them in an area I donít fish anymore.

Since Lakers are native to Simcoe and they are naturally reproducing. I personally think there should be a size limit to protect the big breeders. I have seen to many huge lake trout taken. Those big lakers are not even advised to be eaten at all in the guide to eating Ontario sport fish. Itís beyond me why anyone would eat a big laker but I see it quite often.

PMEmail Poster
Berger
Posted: Jun 15, 2018 - 03:58 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9805

Adult lakers is the last fish you want to eat.
They live long (15 years) and accumulate lots of toxins, the meat taste like crap.
White fish span life is shorter, that's why they are tasty.
Perch as well, same for walleye.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Jun 16, 2018 - 08:21 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10908

The typical age for lake trout is 10-20 year but they have been documented to live up to 60 years.

Either way eating a slow growing predator fish result in bio accumulation of toxins. Eating them is just plain a bad idea.

PMEmail Poster
Brooktrout
Posted: Jun 20, 2018 - 04:07 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 64

QUOTE (Disco @ Jun 16, 2018 - 08:21 pm)
The typical age for lake trout is 10-20 year but they have been documented to live up to 60 years.

Either way eating a slow growing predator fish result in bio accumulation of toxins. Eating them is just plain a bad idea.

I completely agree with you about eating the bigger lakers - both for toxins and taste, however, I believe you might find that Simcoe lakers tend to grow a little faster than other lakes... I'm guessing due to availability of food sources. This still doesn't make them any tastier though LOL

PMEmail Poster
Fishsniffer
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 - 08:53 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1597

They may be filled full of toxins but they ainít going to kill you . I never herd of any mortalies because of consuming 10+ lake trout.

Most sport anglers that target lakers/any fish most likely intoxicate there lungs with tobacco smoke when fishing....thatís probably a lot worse than eating 10plus laker .

As for taste now thatís agreeable on any adult larger game fish .

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace