Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Outboard problems, water in cowling , bogging down.
bassmasterrr
Posted: Jun 16, 2018 - 09:04 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 13353

ran into a problem today on the water , early in the day i noticed water coming from the cowling when i trimmed all the way up , it was coming out of the steering cable spots and other spots like where the fuel line comes in. then at the very end of the day she started bogging down and back firing. just thought id ask here if anyone has had similar issues or might know whats going on , its a 2014 40hp mercury 4 stroke.

PMEmail Poster
fishermon
Posted: Jun 16, 2018 - 09:19 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 2853

I had the same motor...... but check your cooling hose that is near the back to see if it has split or come off and is dumping water into your engine compartment. That's my guess....good luck

PMEmail Poster
callatis
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 - 05:23 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 4290

Don't use it until you get it checked by a dealer. One year, during the winter storage, I had a ladybugs nest inside the cooling system and they clogged it. Water was coming out from above the lower unit.
They replaced the water pump kit ($109) plus 1h labor.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 - 05:06 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10908

Had it happen 4 times before it was solved. Threw the mechanic into fits. 2 things happened. One the drain holds in the lower cowling were clogged. 2 the water pump gasket blew and sent water up into the cowling at full rpm.

In addition check to see if when you trim up at full speed if water spray from the bottom of your transom is spraying straight up for itself into the lower cowling. You may also have your engine mounted to low.

Also note that the bogging down and miss fires probably mean your lower coil over is now cracked and damaged. This happen when water builds up in the lower cowling as the coils get hot. When water floods the coil they can crack. I also had this happen twice when my lower cowling flooded from the water pump gasket blowing again and again.

I had a lot of experience with this and it was a pain in the butt.

Solution. Clean out the cowling drain holes, make sure spray from your transom is not an issue, fully replace the water pump with a new one and all new gaskets and make sure you engine is mounted at the correct height.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Jun 21, 2018 - 10:05 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10908

So what was the outcome Bassmasterrrr?

PMEmail Poster
bassmasterrr
Posted: Jun 22, 2018 - 03:21 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 13353

Works been crazy havnt had a chance to look at it , hopefully this weekend.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace