Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Kayak Fishing, Must have items and what size anchor
RCRward
Posted: Jun 27, 2018 - 12:08 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9845

Hello to all you kayak anglers out there.

I am currently rigging up my first Kayak and I would like to know what the best anchor size and shape would be.

Also wondering if there is great advise you wish you had prior to your first trip, that you could share with me.

I was having a heck of a time moving my kayak around by myself due to it being so awkward to maneuver. I just ordered some wheels for it so that should not be an issue from this point on.

Is an anchor trolley worth the investment?

Thanks!

PM
Mackfisher
Posted: Jun 27, 2018 - 12:39 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8390

For anchor shape get something round, so it doesn't get snagged on bottom. Nothing worse than being stuck like that when the wind/waves get bigger can be dangerous. I know some guys use down rigging balls.

If your fishing back lakes look into a Deeper Sonar they are awesome for mapping back lakes and rivers from a kayak.

Mack

PMEmail Poster
yakfisher
Posted: Jun 27, 2018 - 01:24 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 962

I just use a small 3 prong 5lb anchor. I tie the rope to the bottom of the anchor and then I use a plastic zip tie to fasten the rope to the top of the anchor. If it gets stuck I just need to pull a little harder. It snaps the zip tie and the anchor pops up due to the change in the angle of the pull. If that does not make sense see you tube.
The anchor trolley is useful on windy days so you can face the direction you want when anchored. I use it quite often.
For your first trip I would paddle into the wind at the beginning and let the wind blow you back to your launch area.
Other than that make sure you keep your head centred above the middle of the kayak when you move or turn around to reach for something so you don't go for a swim.
Have fun.
Good luck.

PMEmail Poster
thrillhouse
Posted: Jun 27, 2018 - 02:05 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 3420

I would stay away from the round anchor's. I use a 5lbs dumbbell and cousin hippy uses a 5 lbs kettle bell. It will keep you still on a calm day but any wind and it's just dragging across the bottom.

If you can't stand up easily bring a p### jug.

I need my scupper plugs in at all times or the water comes up through the holes, wish I knew that my first time out.

I now find it easier to land fish with a net in my left hand and rod in my right.

Wear pants or shorts with zippered pockets.

I bring a good sponge to use to keep the water out of the hull.

A cheap paddle will keep your lap soaked, use drip rings if you can.

I love getting out on the yak, I've had the best fishing of my life over the time since I've started yak fishing.

PMEmail Poster
yakfisher
Posted: Jun 27, 2018 - 03:19 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 962

For my anchor rope I wrap it around a length of pool noodle. About 18" long.
If for any reason I need to unhook from the anchor I just release the loop of off my anchor trolley and throw the noodle over. I can go back and get it when it is safe to do so.
Again, I stole this idea from You-Tube.
P##s jug is a must as stated. Good call on that Thrillhouse.

PMEmail Poster
Nado
Posted: Jun 27, 2018 - 04:21 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 8095

I use a folding four prong anchor, I think it is 5lbs. More importantly I have two feet of chain attached to the anchor which helps the anchor lay flat on the bottom so it can grip. You definitely need an anchor trolley as well, I made my own with some pulleys from princess auto but they arent too expensive to buy a pre made kit. You need to anchor at the bow or the stern otherwise you will have waves crashing into the side of the kayak if you anchor in rough water.

That is what I use for anchoring in deep/rough water on Simcoe or Lake Ontario. If you are anchoring in a smaller inland lake then you would be fine with a smaller anchor without a trolley.

PMEmail Poster
drwxr
Posted: Jun 27, 2018 - 04:24 pm

Fry

Member No.: 9054

3lb folding anchor is more than enough if you set it up properly. Like mentioned above, Zip tie is a must!!
3-4ft chain and floating rope with a piece of pool noodle at the end.
Anchor troley is a must, but no need to buy, very easy to make.
When you do, instead of round ring use a carabiner, in case you get into rough conditions you can release the rope from the cleat and open the carabiner, the pool noodle will be a good marker when you need to come back to retrieve your anchor.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
bigdan27
Posted: Jun 27, 2018 - 04:28 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16089

I use a flat 10 pound steel weight from my exercise gear for an anchor.
I always tie my paddle to my life-jacket with a 3' string leash too.
Always keep a fillet knife on your vest as well, to cut rope if you ever flip & get tangled-up.
Be conscious of the center-line of your boat & never let both shoulders cross it together.

Proper paddling technique conserves energy as well:
Grip your paddle with hands "shoulder-width" apart.
Reach out with both hands at chest-level & the paddle-shaft across both legs between the knees & feet.
Now you dip one blade into the water & push forward with the opposite arm & shoulder. The secret is this "push".
For full-power you must twist your upper-body into the forward motion.
Once you get a rhythm going you will really enjoy the workout.

This post has been edited by bigdan27 on Jun 27, 2018 - 04:49 pm

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Jun 27, 2018 - 04:49 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

As mentioned above, a weak link is a very good idea but I would use a fairly weak loop of string rather than a zip tie. Even a small tie is quite strong, prob requiring more force than you are comfortable, or safe, with in a yak.

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 - 02:38 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

Here is my setup: anchor is 5lb with zip tie and with 2 feet chain (on Simcoe deep water fishing for laker/whitefish on my kayak I once tried 3lb one but it just couldn't hold on when there is strong wind/waves), and a SCOTTY kayak anchor lock. Also I have a rope looping around my kayak (as a anchor trolley with quick release) so I can easily at any time and as needed pull the rope to leave anchor at bow or stern or anywhere in between.

Attached Image

PMEmail PosterYahoo
kingphoenix
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 - 07:16 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10053

I use this for my anchor line works great
Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Grandpa Jim
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 - 07:27 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5550

I use a paddle tether in addition to items already listed.

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 - 07:31 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Grandpa Jim @ Jun 28, 2018 - 07:27 am)
I use a paddle tether in addition to items already listed.

Me, too:

Attached Image

PMEmail PosterYahoo
CousinHippy
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 - 09:01 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8483

Make sure you have sunscreen on your legs. My first time out in the yak I didn't even think that my legs would be out I front of me VS bent 90degrees like sitting on a boat bench and I will spare you the gruesome details but almist a year later I am still paying for it.

PMEmail Poster
Dutch
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 - 10:57 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 7179

I was all excited to add my two cents but you guys covered it all! 👍

We get groups of guys in yaks out pretty much every weekend.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace