Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Biodegradable
tonyrome69
Posted: Jun 16, 2018 - 09:16 am

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 1581

Outdoors rather than a fishing question but here goes. Is there a biodegradable shampoo that can be used in a lake that does little or no damage.Ive been looking for years without much luck.Thanks.

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Jun 16, 2018 - 10:46 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

Yes, all kinds, go google it.

PM
tonyrome69
Posted: Jun 16, 2018 - 01:12 pm

Fry

Thanks

PMEmail Poster
deerhunter
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 - 11:33 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10322

I have always used Campsuds. It is fully biodegradable. It is sold at all outdoor stores. You an use it for anything. Cleaning pots and pans, hand soap, and it is gentle enough to use as shampoo.

PMEmail Poster
tonyrome69
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 - 10:56 am

Fry

Thanks deerhunter. In googling efforts before and after I asked this question on this forum there doesnít seem to be anything that is compatible with lakes,rivers etc. where you lather up and jump in unless Iím looking at the wrong info online. I have been wrong before. Just ask my wife. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Appreciate it!

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 - 12:57 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8318

i'm probably about to get flamed for this but I had no idea this was even an issue?? I have been using regular old shampoo and washing my hair in the lake for years?

figured if it wont harm a person what negative impact could it have?

my bad! I will probably keep doing it though, not going to lie. I rather enjoy washing my hair while having a dip.

PMEmail Poster
RandyLahey
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 - 01:21 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15932

My girlfriend is making one this summer. She already makes her own sunscreen and bug spray which works great. Ill let you know how it turns out and post ingredients if its a success!

This post has been edited by RandyLahey on Jun 19, 2018 - 01:22 pm

PMEmail Poster
tonyrome69
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 - 02:49 pm

Fry

Hey west arm,I canít let you go down alone. Iíve been doing the same for years and am far from a kid but the past couple of years Iíve been looking into it but have come up empty. The small print on everything I have seen is to be used away from the body of water not in. Admittedly I havenít noticed anyone else do it but Iím not exactly part of the shampoo police.Trying to do my part to leave things the way I found them or even a little better in the great white north. Good fishing to everyone!!

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 - 03:11 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (tonyrome69 @ Jun 19, 2018 - 03:49 pm)
Hey west arm,I canít let you go down alone. Iíve been doing the same for years and am far from a kid but the past couple of years Iíve been looking into it but have come up empty. The small print on everything I have seen is to be used away from the body of water not in. Admittedly I havenít noticed anyone else do it but Iím not exactly part of the shampoo police.Trying to do my part to leave things the way I found them or even a little better in the great white north. Good fishing to everyone!!

so, to me this was an interesting question, so I have done a little research for the past half hour or so scouring what I could find on the subject.

it seems it falls under the "not a whole lotta factual info" department. simply because not much testing has occurred that I found. I discovered that Algonquin suggests not to at all but says "the choice is yours" another article said "if you wouldn't drink it don't put it in the water" ?? seems odd? so what is that saying? don't put coors light in the water, pick a better beer?

another thing I read said biodegradable or NOT don't put it in the water. wash your hands or whatever and safely deposit the grey water far from shore or down the drain where it can be treated.

then another article said, there has been tests done from water leaving treatment plants that have FAILED to remove things like sunscreen, perfumes and hairsprays??

at the end of the day its probably not the best idea to clean up in our lakes and rivers however is it doing any more harm than a 5 minute boat ride? and do we make sure we shower up before taking a dip to rid our bodies off those pesky sunblocks, hairsprays, perfumes and deodorants we may have on.

I know this wasn't set out as a debate and I apologize for somewhat derailing the original question, just figured I would throw it out there to think about.

cheers all! tight lines!

PMEmail Poster
tonyrome69
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 - 04:58 pm

Fry

westarm all is good. I appreciated your info. I think the one thing that can be determined is there is a lot of grey area on the topic. I promise my next question on this forum will be worms,leeches or minnows. What colors are working. Size jig head and how deep.I like fishing and reading about it.Thanks again. Safe and good fishing to all. PS. Please westarm,donít pour beer out. Thereís no bad beer. Some is just a little better than others.Haha,lol!Later.

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jun 20, 2018 - 08:16 am

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (tonyrome69 @ Jun 19, 2018 - 05:58 pm)
westarm all is good. I appreciated your info. I think the one thing that can be determined is there is a lot of grey area on the topic. I promise my next question on this forum will be worms,leeches or minnows. What colors are working. Size jig head and how deep.I like fishing and reading about it.Thanks again. Safe and good fishing to all. PS. Please westarm,donít pour beer out. Thereís no bad beer. Some is just a little better than others.Haha,lol!Later.

actually I thought you posed a great question. in fact I had no idea there was such a thing, so I learned something!

and no worries, I wouldn't actually pour out coors light! but I would save it for visitors!

PMEmail Poster
Limacharley
Posted: Jun 20, 2018 - 02:11 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 11791

Garnier Fructis Shampoo:

94% biodegradable. No silicone. No paraben. No dye. With acerola berry antioxidant.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace