Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Number of hooks on a fishing line...
Screamer
Posted: Feb 04, 2018 - 08:20 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10035

I grew up in NW Toronto and fished most of Southern Ontario, up to North bay and Sudbury. I learned that you can use two hooks on a fishing line. I recently read that, in Ontario, you can use up to four hooks on a line, but only one line. So, in the Kawarthas, what is the maximum number of hooks you can use on a line? Also, is that only single-point hooks, or does a treble-hook count as one hook?

Thanks for your input!

PMEmail Poster
kevb81
Posted: Feb 04, 2018 - 08:50 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4937

I attached a pic from the 2018 rules and regs. What I gather is a treble counts as a hook as does a single. Up to 4 hooks per line is correct

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
ThorahGuy
Posted: Feb 04, 2018 - 08:59 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 644

True but . . . you still need to check the Zone regs for where you are fishing, INCLUDING THE EXCEPTIONS. For example, the upper Credit has specific limits including use of a single barbless hook.

PMEmail Poster
Duxx
Posted: Feb 05, 2018 - 07:51 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 9447

My understanding of this is: only a bait rig, say for pike. You can use a treble which counts as three hooks and a single for a total of four. When a treble is on an artificial lure it counts as a single hook, therefore 2 or 3 treble is fine.

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted: Feb 06, 2018 - 11:11 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10053

QUOTE (Duxx @ Feb 05, 2018 - 07:51 am)
My understanding of this is: only a bait rig, say for pike. You can use a treble which counts as three hooks and a single for a total of four. When a treble is on an artificial lure it counts as a single hook, therefore 2 or 3 treble is fine.

That's a weird interpretation, a treble is always only 1 hook:

Hook A hook includes a single-pointed or multiple-pointed hook on a common shaft but does not include a snagger or spring gaff. The number of hooks includes any single-pointed or multiple-pointed hooks that are part of a lure.

PMEmail Poster
Duxx
Posted: Feb 06, 2018 - 08:09 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 9447

The difference is when not using a lure. If using a minnow, 4 trebled would be too much as it is not a lure. Quick strike rigs for pike should have a single hook up front with a treble in the back.

This is what I was advised 10 years ago. They may have changed this to simplify regs though.

PMEmail Poster
Screamer
Posted: Feb 09, 2018 - 08:20 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 10035

So-o-o-o-o...four single hooks on a line? You could put four single hooks on a line baited with worms, minnows, etc.? Or...?

PMEmail Poster
Elrik
Posted: Feb 10, 2018 - 09:24 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 5165

QUOTE (Duxx @ Feb 06, 2018 - 09:09 pm)
The difference is when not using a lure. If using a minnow, 4 trebled would be too much as it is not a lure. Quick strike rigs for pike should have a single hook up front with a treble in the back.

This is what I was advised 10 years ago. They may have changed this to simplify regs though.

Nothing in the regs makes that difference, and I know of a number quick strike like rigs that are two trebles, so I don't know if there was a rule like that in place previously but as the rules stand now you could have four small trebles baited with minnows for a heck of a crappie or perch rig.

PMEmail Poster
Youngknight
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 11:16 pm

Fry

Member No.: 11690

Take a look at a pickerel rig...exactly that. Pan in the arse when it gets tangled though and with the price of live bait.....often losing the bait from all hooks when bringing in a fish.

PMEmail Poster
drive2fish
Posted: Feb 14, 2018 - 01:34 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8347

Depends on the conservation officer you ask. A Lot of them will Not be on the same page as the others making it very difficult to understand the regulations. For instance my brother and I went to the Sportsman show in Toronto last year on Saturday and asked the conservation officers there a specific question then returned back on Sunday and ask 2 different officers the same question and got a totally different answer. I left very confused that weekend.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace