Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> SMELTS! Not simcoe
Kier
Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 08:47 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10851

Out here in NB, been seeing all the simcoe posts, and got the itch myself, well, I never really got ride of the itch since I caught it 2 years ago. If anyone knows any cures let me know. Got 56 smelts in 3 hours, just shy of the 60 limit, fished till the bitter end and came up just short. Was last off ice. Did manage this 12 inch one though. Great grandmother and a great uncle are Loving me about now, as I donít eat em myself, they got them all. They fry em up in oil after coating them in flour, anyone got any different ways?

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Buonanotte
Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 08:57 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15030

Looks great! That's how I like em, I cut the head off, butterfly them, flour and into the oil. I'm getting the itch....

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 08:57 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

That way is the best way! You need to get us videos of fishing in NB. I was actually born in NB but my family moved to ON when I was 2 y/o. We were in Paquetville and the fishery there was big. From lobster, snow crabs, oysters, beach clams and all the fish in the ocean. My dad still talks about how cheap it was. Walk down to the harbor and get a 5 gallon pail of oyster for $5. A dollar for a whole snow crab.

PMEmail Poster
Kier
Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 09:08 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (Fish4Dinner @ Jan 10, 2018 - 08:57 pm)
That way is the best way!  You need to get us videos of fishing in NB.  I was actually born in NB but my family moved to ON when I was 2 y/o.  We were in Paquetville and the fishery there was big.  From lobster, snow crabs, oysters, beach clams and all the fish in the ocean.  My dad still talks about how cheap it was.  Walk down to the harbor and get a 5 gallon pail of oyster for $5.  A dollar for a whole snow crab.

Would anyone be interested in smelt videos? Wouldnt be very good quality, and itís just like perch basically, hook, shrimp, and you reel up, Sort of like what you do with laker. Something about that makes em strike.

PMEmail Poster
Kier
Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 09:11 pm

Lunker Trout

For those interested this is the rig I started with, caught 20 or so on it before moving to a single hook with 2 little clasp weights.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 09:15 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Nice work.. Love to see some videos and you should try one of those, so delicious..
That is the best way to cook them, maybe a little squirt of lemon juice after they are fried..... Then wash them down with molasses and bread... Lol

PMEmail Poster
Kier
Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 09:20 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (fishmagnet @ Jan 10, 2018 - 09:15 pm)
Nice work.. Love to see some videos and you should try one of those, so delicious..
That is the best way to cook them, maybe a little squirt of lemon juice after they are fried..... Then wash them down with molasses and bread... Lol

It a big fish eater if you can believe it. Next outing Iím gunna lay a big piece of shrimp on bottom for the flounder that swim by, hoping one grabs it, as I believe they are bottom feeders. If Iím not on a field exercise I should be out Friday

PMEmail Poster
Simcoe Said
Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 09:58 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 11638

Pretty awesome man.
I am guessing NB is New Brunswick and not North Bay.
Please correct me if I'm wrong .
12" smelt .that's incredible

PMEmail Poster
Simcoe Said
Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 09:59 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 11638

Never mind .Just read the post about shrimp and flounder .
Lol
Awesome

PMEmail Poster
Kier
Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 10:00 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (Simcoe Said @ Jan 10, 2018 - 09:58 pm)
Pretty awesome man.
I am guessing NB is New Brunswick and not North Bay.
Please correct me if I'm wrong .
12" smelt .that's incredible

Yes, my bad. I forgot to folks in Ontario that NB = North Bay and not New Brunswick like NB ='s for an East coaster like me

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 11:02 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Yum yum yum.. Smelts are the best!

Thanks for the report, they look yummy..

PMEmail Poster
garfield the cat
Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 11:38 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 2354

I was thinking New Brunswick aswell lol

PMEmail PosterYahoo
LiveBates
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 12:14 am

Alevin

Member No.: 7271

Love the traditional flour way, but.. try a few in a flour/egg/penko dip. But, add a couple tbl sp of old bay/cumin and chili flake to the penko. I sometimes slice tiny bluegill fillets into sliver size and do them like that. Or smelt tempura.... either way they're good no matter what way. Nice haul.

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 12:27 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 6034

I'd prepare the 12 incher a little differently. Put one treble in the tail and another in the back or side. Attach some wire and place underneath a tip up. You could add a squeeze of lemon (pike love lemon but, they hate cinnamon).

Seriously though, cool to see what folks out of province are doing to scratch the itch.

PMEmail Poster
LiveBates
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 12:38 am

Alevin

Member No.: 7271

/\ thats my 2nd recipe:) And a 12" cisco deadbait on a drop-off for dessert . God I need to get on the ice.........

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace