Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> SMELTS! Not simcoe
Kier
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 10:21 am

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10851

QUOTE (Chuck Enwinde @ Jan 11, 2018 - 12:27 am)
I'd prepare the 12 incher a little differently. Put one treble in the tail and another in the back or side. Attach some wire and place underneath a tip up. You could add a squeeze of lemon (pike love lemon but, they hate cinnamon).

Seriously though, cool to see what folks out of province are doing to scratch the itch.

Haha, nothing out here big enough to eat that I wouldnít say. No pike, only chain pickerel, which are much smaller. They get some weird crap through the ice here, someone got a skate (Super boney flat fish that look like a ray) and they got stuff called hake out here. They also catch dogfish, tommy cod, someone said cod but Iím not sure if he just meant a tommy cod, flounder (I want to catch this! See a lot of em while smelting, so Iíd anyone has any ideas on how hit me up lol)

PMEmail Poster
Lanternman75
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 11:06 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 11376

My wife and love Hake, we camped at Fundy national park and tried hake for the first time on that that trip and full in love with the taste. When i retire i'm moving out East, my fondest memories as a kid were vising the East coast from New Brunswick to New Newfoundland and we try to make this trip every 5 or 6 years. The only fishing i ever tried was peer fishing for mackerel in New Newfoundland and would love to try ice fishing someday.

Its funny but in my office i have a picture of the worlds largest fiddle head, most here have never even heard of this vegetable but i recall it was located in Plaster Rock NB.

PMEmail Poster
Kier
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 12:02 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (Lanternman75 @ Jan 11, 2018 - 11:06 am)
My wife and love Hake, we camped at Fundy national park and tried hake for the first time on that that trip and full in love with the taste. When i retire i'm moving out East, my fondest memories as a kid were vising the East coast from New Brunswick to New Newfoundland and we try to make this trip every 5 or 6 years. The only fishing i ever tried was peer fishing for mackerel in New Newfoundland and would love to try ice fishing someday.

Its funny but in my office i have a picture of the worlds largest fiddle head, most here have never even heard of this vegetable but i recall it was located in Plaster Rock NB.

Youíd be correct. Never actually fished Hake, but I may need to make a trip atleast once this year and try. Some weird stuff comes out of the holes there so I might tick a few off the list. Itís surprising how many here have connections to the maritimes, or visited as kids and have those memories. Myself, I was born in NS. Right on the border with NB. Moved to ON when I was 3, but spent every summer there till I was 13, then 2 weeks every summer up till this year when I moved here. I donít think Iíll be staying out here as Iím changing programs, but I could be. Either way Iíve been loving my time here.

PMEmail Poster
Lanternman75
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 02:01 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 11376

its funny but the east coast has been in my blood since i can remember and i even have a East coast connection today; my wife is American and born in Florida but her grandmother was born in Nova Scotia in a town called Evangeline NS, we wanted to see her roots and that is why we went a few years ago with our camper; stayed in Fundy NB, PEI and Highland Cape Breton and back down to visit her grandmothers birth town and crossed back over on the ferry. We joke we ate our way through the East Coast, picked Quahogs on the beach, new potatoes and lobster from PEI, hake and mussels from NB. Cant wait to take our son on this trip in a few years.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 02:39 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

My place in NB is right between Moncton and Fundy national park on the coast. They call it the scenic route... We use to swim at all beaches you go by and still people swim at them. We were always throwing sticks in the water for the dogs.. Last year after our trip one of our friends texted me a picture taken the day we left to go home.. Fricking shark..omg...lol.. They are feeding as the tide Comes in..They now see them all the time so next year I will be going for shark... Lol

Tommy cods are pretty tasty as well cooked just like a smelt ..
Looking forward to your next post...
Cheers FM

PMEmail Poster
Kier
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 02:58 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (fishmagnet @ Jan 11, 2018 - 02:39 pm)
My place in NB is right between Moncton and Fundy national park on the coast. They call it the scenic route... We use to swim at all beaches you go by and still people swim at them. We were always throwing sticks in the water for the dogs.. Last year after our trip one of our friends texted me a picture taken the day we left to go home.. Fricking shark..omg...lol.. They are feeding as the tide Comes in..They now see them all the time so next year I will be going for shark... Lol

Cheers FM

I'm in Sackville, pretty much on the bay of fundy, was born in Amherst, and spend my summers at my cottage on the waters of the north Cumberland straight. I love it out here, more then likely, will move back out east for a job. Spend many days both on the north Cumberland straight, and on the bay of fundy. It really is an amazing place.

PMEmail Poster
Kier
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 03:08 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (fishmagnet @ Jan 11, 2018 - 02:39 pm)

Cheers FM

I honestly didn't know what the response would be, whether people where gunna be okay with a post so far from Simcoe. Ill definitely be trying to get some videos, and some more pictures. Will take more photos of what shanty town looks like, definitely is different then simcoe being just off shore like 40 feet.
As for the sharks, ya! Its crazy, although I still have no problem getting in the water, I was once brushed in South Carolina, and a fin swimming away. Parents said they've never seen me running like I did, legs just a wheeling. Turned out to be a skate, and the "fin" was a wing. Parents still laugh about it lol

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 03:23 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Maybe I missed it but how deep are you fishing.. We can get all the fish mentioned plus striped bass as well as Pollock at the tidal rivers in our area.. Some Rivers feed the salt water lake down the Rd from our place... This lake is quite something... You can get just about everything in it including a lobster.. Lol but it would be illegal.... It's all privately owned land around it so for now it gets very little.pressure. Except for the cormorants..

PMEmail Poster
Kier
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 03:45 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (fishmagnet @ Jan 11, 2018 - 03:23 pm)
Maybe I missed it but how deep are you fishing.. We can get all the fish mentioned plus striped bass as well as Pollock at the tidal rivers in our area.. Some Rivers feed the salt water lake down the Rd from our place... This lake is quite something... You can get just about everything in it including a lobster.. Lol but it would be illegal.... It's all privately owned land around it so for now it gets very little.pressure. Except for the cormorants..

3-4 feet when I showed up, prob 6-8 when I left (Tide was coming in). Only saw smelts, and 1 baby flounder.

PMEmail Poster
AnthonyG
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 07:07 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15139

I love Smelt! Where and how deep are they on Simcoe, Couch?
Iím new to the area and need all the help I can get

PMEmail Poster
Kier
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 07:50 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (AnthonyG @ Jan 12, 2018 - 07:07 pm)
I love Smelt! Where and how deep are they on Simcoe, Couch?
Iím new to the area and need all the help I can get

Cant help you there man, I'm in New Brunswick. These smelts are from Shediac (North Cumberland Straight) Although there are a few smelts in Simcoe I believe, if I'm not mistaken, I don't think its actually worth targeting them

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace