Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Wind lifting flip over hut
Kier
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 10:59 am

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10851

Hey guys, back out on the ice and itís 30 kmh gusts, I have a one man recon (flip) and it keeps getting lifted. Itís annoying as all hell, any way you guys have come up with stopping this? Thereís no door, itís a true flip, so canít put anything on skirt

PMEmail Poster
Kier
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 11:21 am

Lunker Trout

Heres a picture of what I mean.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Lanternman75
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 11:28 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 11376

i have the exact same flip and know exactly what you are experiencing, i try and keep the back to the wind so it doesn't get under and lift the front and my weight is what keeps it down when i'm in it. Its taken some time for me to get conformable with this hut as my head touches the top when i'm in it on a normal chair or the padded bin so this year i started to use a beach chair i got from Costco since it sits really low and helps give a little extra room for hook sets. If the front is lifting run an anchor inside and use a bungee cord over the front top bar, this will help keep the flip down and you just have un-clip the bungee when you need to get out. I'm going to add a spreader system this year so the sides dont blow in on me during strong side winds or when its buffeting, you probably know what i mean by this.

PMEmail Poster
Itch-to-fish
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 11:31 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 8117

I had a clam like that and had to fold the skirt in and put snow on it inside. Sucked when there was no snow on the ice. You can try weighting it down by putting your gear across the base bars, like auger and tackle box. I did that a few times.

PMEmail Poster
Lanternman75
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 11:32 am

Adult Trout

btw perfect side by side overlapping holes, my current auger is hard to get two holes this well as its tends to dance when i cut the second one but using my brothers Kdrill auger its much easier since it has a spike to keep it centered.

PMEmail Poster
Newburg007
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 11:33 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10129

Not much you can really do with this model -- no door is downfall.
One thing that will limit the wind somewhat is to pull the left and right skirt tight inside and step on them. This will limit the draft and help hold the front down.
Next. Promise yourself that your next hut will have a door,..... and it being a side entry door if possible!

P.S. - Your a brave man out there today! I'm impressed.

PMEmail Poster
avgefisherman
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 11:41 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 2365

Hi there Lanternman75, how is that Kdrill auger from Vexilar.... I'm interested in getting one not sure which size the 6" or the 8".....

PMEmail Poster
Lanternman75
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 11:51 am

Adult Trout

QUOTE (avgefisherman @ Jan 12, 2018 - 12:41 pm)
Hi there Lanternman75, how is that Kdrill auger from Vexilar.... I'm interested in getting one not sure which size the 6" or the 8".....

the k-drill is the best auger i have ever used, its works very different then normal augers as it has chipper blades so you can actually run the drill in high speed mode vs high torque. The reason i also like it so much is the tip has a spike like blade sticking out and you never get any darting of the blade and can always get two perfectly placed side by side holes, they are pricey but only weigh a few pounds being composite material and if you are walking every pound counts IMO. We have the 8" but you could use a 6" and just drill 2 or 3 holes, we are on 3 years now and still have not sharpen the original blades

PMEmail Poster
avgefisherman
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 11:53 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 2365

Cool thanks and what drill do you use and do you use it with the new clam converter kit.....

PMEmail Poster
Kier
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 12:09 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (Newburg007 @ Jan 12, 2018 - 11:33 am)
Not much you can really do with this model -- no door is downfall.
One thing that will limit the wind somewhat is to pull the left and right skirt tight inside and step on them. This will limit the draft and help hold the front down.
Next. Promise yourself that your next hut will have a door,..... and it being a side entry door if possible!

P.S. - Your a brave man out there today! I'm impressed.

What we do for some smell smelts out here! Moved out farther and can now see bottom, as for the overlapping holes, my Eskimoís shark has a middle spike that allows me to easily cut 3 holes, the fourth always slips I find, although I still cut it to give me more view. Picture attached . Think Iíll try the bungee thing next time out, no snow here to put on the skirt inside. Nothing but a big puddle out here.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
smokeeter
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 12:38 pm

Fry

Member No.: 5083

looks like a 4 leafed clover (they're supposed to be luck aren't they?)

PMEmail Poster
Kier
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 12:44 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (smokeeter @ Jan 12, 2018 - 12:38 pm)
looks like a 4 leafed clover (they're supposed to be luck aren't they?)

Itís not being to lucky today, got 4 smelts for 2 hours of fishing. Hoping it picks up, but the water keeps clouding up so idk if it will

PMEmail Poster
Fishin fan
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 02:27 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 6321

I had a recon. What I did was the two latches that hold it in the windbreaker position, I force it down past them closed and then latch over and it holds down snug. I also cut two pcs of 3/16 melamine 12Ē by the length of the fishable area and tucked them behind the bottom pole on each side. If I still had it Iíd send pics. Thatís one reason I got rid of it was no door to get out and bank it.

Dave

PMEmail Poster
yaho
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 05:26 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 14840

I have same model recon....
same problem...
so I finally put a zipper on corner of front from top to bottom...
I am a small guy... it work for me
but not sure for big guy....

PMEmail Poster
riplipsdrinkbusch
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 06:06 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 12688

Get a pop up. All I ever owned and love it. Use it alone all the time in high winds. Once itís fastened down secure the pop out sides your good to go. Never had an issue in crazy windy days. Just a bit of a fight to set it up on your own. I have a woods 3 man. Iím 5í10Ē and can stand right up in it

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace