Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Mattawa/Highway533 and McConnell Lake Area Fishing
dogandponyshow
Posted: Jun 29, 2015 - 05:21 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 5511

Hello, I am staying for a week near Mattawa on Highway 533 at a small off the grid camp. I do not know this area very well other than looking at some posts online.

There are lot of lakes to fish in this area and it is a little overwhelming. The area seems to be dominated with stocked trout lakes. I have fished trout in the spring and have had some success but am a little lost at this time of year. Is it worth heading to any of these lakes? i.e. crooked, timber. Are the trout going to deep yet with this fairly mild summer so far? Not looking for specific spots, but just wondering if I am better off hunting the Ottawa River in Mattawa. We have a small tinny and 4x4 pickup so we are fairly flexible as to where we can get into.

The McConnell Lakes Road seems like an interesting area. Is it worth driving up at this time of year? I've done some research and Dymond Lake has caught my eye as it has bass, pike and walleye. Any assistance is much appreciated. Will post results (good or bad) on my return.

PMEmail Poster
Fishchaser67
Posted: Jun 30, 2015 - 07:23 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 4782

Out McConnell lake area is good go try little McConnell lake ..Blue lake and Diver. There is a dozen or so lakes within a 10 km radius in that area all holding from trout Bass walleye and pike. Tight lines.

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Jun 30, 2015 - 09:48 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

Just sent you a PM on Dymond Lake, the stringer in my avatar picture is from Dymond Lake.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
dogandponyshow
Posted: Jul 12, 2015 - 02:02 pm

Egg

Member No.: 5511

My family managed to fish several lakes in the area. We stayed on Harrington Lake so we fished that one with some success. We were able to catch walleye at dusk between 14 and 19", with the over the slot fish heading back in the lake. Very pretty lake with some perch and walleye that seemed to be non-existent during the day.

During a rainy day we briefly fished crooked lake farther up highway 533. Had a couple taps, but no takers. Saw a few jumping trout about a foot long during the heavy rain. The lake is stocked with splake.

Fished the Ottawa River in Mattawa - a few small walleye up by the dam and a couple on trolling deep diving rapalas. Had some some silvery fish (mooneye or shad) under the bridge in Ottawa that we couldn't land but would like to know what they are. A bunch of bass also thrown in the several spots we trolled/fished.

Managed to get into Dymond Lake the last day. Had three very nice walleye caught jigging deep shorelines and sunken timber. Two were over the slot limit and went back, but managed one just under. Also caught a few pike in the 25 to 30" range. The bass caught were all small (under 14") but very numerous and seemed everywhere. Didn't see another boat on the water. Cheers and tight lines

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
bluenote
Posted: Jul 12, 2015 - 02:15 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 3844

Terrific report on your trip!

Sounds like you got a good range of fish!

Thanks for sharing!

PMEmail Poster
pickerel24
Posted: Jul 13, 2015 - 01:44 pm

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8214

congrats on the multi species. sounded like an excellent trip. thanks for the post
keep it deep and keep it tite

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Jul 14, 2015 - 01:30 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Lots of lakes and opportunities in the area, looks like you took advantage of them, great report

PMEmail Poster
DucatiJoe
Posted: May 30, 2018 - 10:31 am

Egg

Member No.: 16045

Hi there, my google search on the McConnell Lakes region turned up here. Can I ask you some questions about Dymond Lake pike in particular? Just wondering what season/depth/tackle you were using that gave you success up there. I won't be so bold as to ask for your favourite spots, but any advice for a newbie would be helpful. Thanks.

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: May 30, 2018 - 02:15 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

QUOTE (DucatiJoe @ May 30, 2018 - 12:31 pm)
Hi there, my google search on the McConnell Lakes region turned up here. Can I ask you some questions about Dymond Lake pike in particular? Just wondering what season/depth/tackle you were using that gave you success up there. I won't be so bold as to ask for your favourite spots, but any advice for a newbie would be helpful. Thanks.

Fished mid summer and early fall over the years, we try to stick to trolling along the edge of the lake staying in the 12 foot to 20 foot range. Floating and jointed Rapalla's in orange and/or black and gold worked well. The lake drops of quick so you won't be too far off the shoreline when trolling.

Good luck and let us know how you do if you get in there.

Oh, and welcome to the board

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace