The fish and fishing equipment were permanently forfeited to the Crown

https://www.muskokaregion.com/news-story/86...cost-man-1-500/

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: May 23, 2018 - 09:13 am

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7713

To this day don't understand why people still fish over there daily limit. Common sense why take more than you should. Just my opinion.

PMEmail Poster
chris.brock
Posted: May 23, 2018 - 05:02 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 14874

The penalties are harsher than I expected, I like it, the only thing missing is loosing his licence for a few years

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: May 23, 2018 - 05:17 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11890

I have the feeling that the only way to stop this activity is to hit them where it hurts the worse.....in the wallet. Fines don't seem to be big enough to be a deterrent. Maybe forfeiting their boat (soft water season) or their car/truck (hard water season) would have a better effect. JMHO

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted: May 23, 2018 - 10:42 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

Depends on what equipments was forfeited to the crown. If I lost all my equipment on a single ice fishing outting... it could ring in the ten of thousands.

PMEmail Poster
troutlover
Posted: May 24, 2018 - 08:45 am

Fry

Member No.: 10783

No such thing as a daily limit. Limit is a possesion limit which includes anything you may have at home. Example sport licence fisherman catches 2 lake trout sat takes home and freezes then next sat goes fishing catches 1 more lake trout OVER LIMIT and can be fined. If your asked by officer if u have any in possesion and lie you can also be fined for that.

PMEmail Poster
Grumpyman
Posted: May 28, 2018 - 02:50 pm

Alevin

Member No.: 13675

Troutlover is 100% wrong, read page 10 of the fishing regulations. Possession and province wide limit are different than daily catch.

PMEmail Poster
Grumpyman
Posted: May 28, 2018 - 02:52 pm

Alevin

Member No.: 13675

In the case of lake trout 3 is the provincial possession limit, 2 is the daily catch limit in most WMU

PMEmail Poster
oakvilleguy
Posted: May 28, 2018 - 04:26 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 3918

Your wrong in that aspect if I知 fishing Lake Ontario I have a combined limit meaning I知 allowed 5 fish being coho, chinook, brown, rainbow, lake trout and Atlantic痴. The only restrictions I have are a slotnsize for Atlantic痴 I知 allowed 2 rainbows within the 5 fish limit. All 5 of them can be lake trout if they are open and I chose too. So because I caught them in zone 20 I知 still allowed to possess 5 lake trout in my freezer from the province of Ontario. I do not agree with keeping over the limits or will I ever do so. But different areas within the province of Ontario allow for more fish to be kept. Same as 6 walleye from Eire With no slot vs north bay where you are lucky to get one. I知 just saying this as regards the the freezing thing. I would never come up to an area where I知 allowed 2 lake trout personally and come home with more but say that I keep my nice 2 eaters from lake of bays and have 2 small ones from Ontario what should they do? I知 glad he got caught same with walleyes under slot and over limits but there is many grey areas.

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: May 28, 2018 - 05:12 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8190

QUOTE (oakvilleguy @ May 28, 2018 - 04:26 pm)
...Your wrong in that aspect if I知 fishing Lake Ontario I have a combined limit meaning I知 allowed 5 fish being coho, chinook, brown, rainbow, lake trout and Atlantic痴. The only restrictions I have are a slotnsize for Atlantic痴 I知 allowed 2 rainbows within the 5 fish limit. All 5 of them can be lake trout if they are open and I chose too. So because  I caught them in zone 20 I知 still allowed to possess 5 lake trout in my freezer from the province of Ontario....

Well, not trying to be Internet warden here, but you may be in for a surprise if your actually keeping 5 lake trout. my interpretation of the regulations goes along with what Grumpyman said.

Around here..zone 15...I'm allowed 2 lake trout.
In zone 20(your Lake Ontario) your allowed 3.

Provincially, I can combine a couple (or even 3) zones that I may fish in, and combine my possession of lake trout up to a 'Provincial Limit of 3.'....That's it. ***Page 10***

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fossy47
Posted: May 28, 2018 - 06:06 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 9546

Sadly, in most cases any financial penalty will be borne entirely by his family... not by him.
If he was responsible he won't have exceeded his limit in the first place.

Instead of a $$ fine, why not make the offender do community service, cleaning up our environment or picking up garage around the various launch sites wearing an ankle bracelet. There are lots of areas that need TLC.
At least his family won't be negatively affected by his careless behaviour.
Just a thought.

PMEmail Poster
oakvilleguy
Posted: May 28, 2018 - 07:45 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 3918

U are correct sir and my apologies for the rant even in zone 20 we are only aloud 3 I was not going at gramps at my comment just proving a point how there may grey areas about having fish in the freezer

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: May 28, 2018 - 09:43 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8190

Well I learned something too...I did not know that there was a provincial possession limit different to what may be a limit in a specific zone.

Doesn't apply much for me, as I usually fish zone 15 only, and it's a HUGE zone...but interesting none the less.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: May 29, 2018 - 01:15 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

The only thing I will add is that the regs are complex and you really need to be certain where you fish to ensure you are taking legal limits...whether daily or possession.

easy enough for confusion, but angler responsibility to be correct

PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace