Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> More Brookies!, Algonquin Park
Drew
Posted: Jun 04, 2018 - 05:41 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8190

I convinced my old man he could make the walk in to a lake I wanted to take him to...about a mile...all he had to do was carry the paddles. (They secretly helped as walking sticks, I know it). So Saturday morning, I had a bit of a hunch we might have a really slow day, as the temps dropped quickly Friday evening and overnight, and the winds were still gusting when we left my place 5:00am. (6degreesC')

So after driving to the Park, and portaging in, it was after 7:00 when we made it to the lake. After trolling around for a bit, with no signs of life, I decided to add a little flavour to my spoon, with the frozen shiners I brought. I wasn't overly confident that the specks would be willing,(I've been skunked after a cold front a few times) but as soon as I cast, put my rod in the holders, and took a few paddle
strokes...I was pleasantly surprised with a little tap, tap..........tap, tap.....tap.... on my rod tip.
Again and again, little swipes, and hits, but not enough for a hook set. It can be hard to set the hook when I'm the stern man, and always have a paddle in my hands. But after several misses and bumps, I finally hooked into a nice speckie, and got it in the canoe after a couple little runs, ...nice looking male. Hadn't seen a fish that nice out of this small lake before! Kept trolling around, and had another decent one, same length,(19.5") but not as thick, within a half hour or so. (Pic below)

So after we managed to land 7 nice ones, we headed back to the portage out of there. Overall, we did well, but the fish were in a terribly shy mood. Almost all that we caught swiped at our baits numerous times, and followed for surprisingly long distances, before striking well enough to be hooked. Without the minnows, I dont believe we'd have managed more than 1 or 2 fish....it just seemed to be the 'little extra' they needed to commit.

Anywhoo, 'twas a great day, all nice brookies, and good to see the old man out getting a couple too. We heard a moose crashing off through the forest when we arrived at the trail, but didn't get a look at it.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Tazman71
Posted: Jun 04, 2018 - 06:12 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15284

Nice looking brookies!! Well done!👍

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: Jun 04, 2018 - 06:28 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 7713

Nice looking trout.

PMEmail Poster
Mr Meat
Posted: Jun 04, 2018 - 08:08 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 15336

Very nice specks

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Jun 05, 2018 - 11:03 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

Great report Drew, nice specks for sure. Good to hear you were able to spend the day with your old man, great memories for both of you

PMEmail Poster
sparky302
Posted: Jun 05, 2018 - 11:26 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4572

Nice catch Drew !!!!!

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
caspersphilly
Posted: Jun 06, 2018 - 07:48 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 7095

Nice job!

PMEmail Poster
Orangebucket2
Posted: Jun 06, 2018 - 02:59 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 14719

great report/adventure
I have had the same problem where they need that little extra smell to make them commit when they get in close. a bit or worm was usually the solution for me.

OB

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Jun 07, 2018 - 05:49 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 15869

Good looking specks.

PMEmail Poster
Nuclear
Posted: Jun 07, 2018 - 11:23 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 3419

Nice looking fish and to top it off you were able to take your dad with you which is a big bonus .Tight lines

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace