Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> walleye slot, catch 22
westarm
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 - 12:26 pm

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8318

has anyone had this experience before.......

you just caught a walleye.

the walleye is undersized to keep.

its hooked pretty bad.

you try to remove quickly but it doesn't go well.

you cut the line or get the hook{s} removed but the fish wont swim away.

what next????

here's your choices, both include breaking the law!!!!

keep the fish its undersized and illegal.

return the dead or dying fish to the water which is also illegal.

General Prohibitions.. it is illegal to.....

Abandon fish or permit the flesh to spoil, if the fish is suitable for human consumption.

thoughts or opinions? this happened to someone I know on nipissing this year. he opted to keep the fish and try to explain if approached which is probably what I would have done as well. however this option could be a disaster.

PMEmail Poster
spooner
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 - 12:53 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 778

you must release the under size, over limit or out of season fish, dead or alive. i know you feel bad just leaving a dying fish there but this rule is for a reason. Not so honest people will use this as an excuse to keep an illegal fish. catch a fish and then rip the hook through its gills and then say it was going to die so i kept it. sad but true these people exist more than you would think

PMEmail Poster
morecowbell23
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 - 01:09 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 3596

This happen to me twice this morning and I elected to leave the hook in and let the fish take his changes.
If it doesn't survive some other fish or species will benefit by it.

Option two, keeping under slot fish which may not survive is only going to promote some to take advantage in my opinion.

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 - 02:15 pm

Adult Trout

i totally agree with the fact that people will purposely kill the fish and make up just about anything.

just an interesting fact that no matter how you slice it your a lawbreaker, lol.

i try to harvest anything i know wont make it but that one is a tough call, its a shame to throw it in and watch it float around for seagulls to fight over.

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 - 02:20 pm

Adult Trout

that's where the catch 22 comes in. throwing a dead fish back is also illegal, i guess you could argue that the fish is not suitable for human consumption because its not within the parameters of the law to consume it

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 - 02:34 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

Throw it back in and don't look back.

The abandonment of fish suitable for consumption only applied to legal fish within slot and season.

PMEmail Poster
buddy
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 - 04:12 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 5461

You have to put the fish back even if it is dead or dying. Whenever they implement a law it has to be completely black and white. If the MNR allowed a grey area to exist then a lot of people would jump through that loophole and claim that the undersized fish that they caught would never have survived if released.

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 - 04:12 pm

Adult Trout

QUOTE (Fish4Dinner @ Sep 20, 2017 - 03:34 pm)

The abandonment of fish suitable for consumption only applied to legal fish within slot and season.

makes sense to me! cheers!

PMEmail Poster
Estarling
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 - 05:36 pm

Fry

Member No.: 7506

QUOTE (Fish4Dinner @ Sep 20, 2017 - 02:34 pm)

Yes you are right

PMEmail Poster
Brookie56
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 - 07:20 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 3537

Turtles need to eat too....

PMEmail Poster
Helpme
Posted: Sep 21, 2017 - 10:27 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 5441

curse and swear, release, curse some more, continue till next fish caught.

PMEmail Poster
Hexilar
Posted: Sep 21, 2017 - 03:18 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 8029

If it's unintentional, no reason to feel bad. It happens and putting the dead fish back won't go to waste. Something out there will eat it. I get it, catch 22 , but the CO's aren't there to burn guys like us - they know the deal, it happens.

PMEmail Poster
Sterling
Posted: Sep 22, 2017 - 07:09 am

Fry

Member No.: 9678

Something will eat the fish. And that something will then pass on another meal - so the net impact is still zero. I know it's hard to look at it this way, but try not to feel bad.

If you really want to make a difference in hooking mortality, pinch your barbs, avoid trebles, and fish in less than 30ft of water.

I've ground the barb off some lures and haven't noticed a significant decrease in catches, that is when trolling anyway.

PMEmail Poster
Mikefishing
Posted: Sep 22, 2017 - 04:28 pm

Fry

Member No.: 13202

Definitely pinch the barb and reel up slow if fishing deep in lakes that have a slot size. Figured this out the hard way killing small perch in Lake Huron even without the slot size. Bringing 6" perch up from 40 feet and killing them was a bummer until we went slow.
Release anything healthy or not outside the slot size! Sucks killing a fish you can't keep/eat.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace