Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Carp?
dkcaesar
Posted: Jun 08, 2017 - 08:36 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 11123

Good evening,

I have a question for the experience fishermen of Lake Nipissing.

I was boating in a shallow bay on the lake today and saw what I believe was a carp....

Are there carp in the lake or was I seeing things ?

Thanks

PMEmail Poster
buddy
Posted: Jun 08, 2017 - 09:21 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 5461

You weren't seeing things, they are there but the population is small.
Here's a quote from the MNR.

Common carp have been observed in the lake since the early 1990ís. Prior to 2013, reports were limited to the western basin of the lake; as of spring 2013 they have been
confirmed in Callander Bay. There is very limited assessment data on the species, and they are currently considered a minor component of the food web. No formal monitoring program currently exists for carp on the lake. They are informally being monitored as incidentals in the fisheries assessments (FWIN, IOTN), creel surveys, or public reports to the MNRF.

PMEmail Poster
dkcaesar
Posted: Jun 09, 2017 - 06:02 am

Egg

Member No.: 11123

Well, thank you for your quick response to my question... Very interesting article....

PMEmail Poster
morecowbell23
Posted: Jun 14, 2017 - 02:26 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 3596

I caught this 9-10carp this afternoon along with 9 walleye ranging from 10-15 inches
Great action for a middle of the day
Sorry the picture not that great

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Paddy
Posted: Jun 14, 2017 - 02:52 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4885

Nice fish. That's a sucker.

PMEmail Poster
morecowbell23
Posted: Jun 14, 2017 - 02:58 pm

Parr Trout

I thought it might be
How do you tell the difference

PMEmail Poster
Paddy
Posted: Jun 14, 2017 - 03:18 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4885

It's a little hard to explain I guess, but when you see them enough it's really easy to tell. The shape of the head, the shape of the body, the dorsal, the mouth is different, even the eyes. Carp have big barbels hanging down from the side of their mouth. I don't think suckers have them, but if they do, they aren't as noticeable. The colour and size of the scales. As Mr. Miyagi once said, they are "same but different".

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
morecowbell23
Posted: Jun 14, 2017 - 09:42 pm

Parr Trout

Thanks Paddy for description and photo
I will ponder this while I paint the fence

PMEmail Poster
kokemachine
Posted: Jun 15, 2017 - 11:50 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 4328

Yeah, a carp has more of a browny - orange colour and big scales. It's probably a very unpopular opinion but I wouldn't mind having a carp population on Nipissing just for the fact that they are hard fighters and they get huge. Here's a 20+ carp I caught on Rice lake a month ago.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
gruhler
Posted: Jun 15, 2017 - 12:17 pm

Egg

Member No.: 11796

There is also a species called a Sheephead. One could easily see a Sheephead swimming and think it is a carp.

I have caught a few of these and they too are good fighters. My wife caught a monster Sheephead and had a huge grin on her face once she got it in the boat.

I often see Sheephead near my camp at the mouth of the French. They come into the shallows in the evenings. I have had a few spook me as I paddle by and they are in less than a foot of water. Nip has so many different types of fish!

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jun 15, 2017 - 01:16 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 8318

I agree sheephead {freshwater drum} are a blast! they will take you for a ride, I have got them up to 14 lbs all over the west side, northwest bay to the west arm and everywhere in between. still haven't eaten one yet though, lol

btw kokemachine nice carp, that must have been fun!

PMEmail Poster
kokemachine
Posted: Jun 16, 2017 - 11:19 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 4328

Yeah Sheepshead are a thrill to catch too. They are such a wide bodied fish with a massive tail that gives them a real grip on the water. I wish I caught them more often.

@westarm, before I left Toronto and moved up north I had just figured out how to catch carp consistently only to find that there were not many to be had up north. That carp pic is from a trip I made to Rice lake in Peterborough where we caught and released over 20 carp over 2 days all weighing 10-21lbs. It was the best carp fishing I had ever seen and it was all from the dock. It was pretty hard on the arms but great for the soul.

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jun 16, 2017 - 12:37 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 8318

QUOTE (kokemachine @ Jun 16, 2017 - 12:19 pm)
Yeah Sheepshead are a thrill to catch too. They are such a wide bodied fish with a massive tail that gives them a real grip on the water. I wish I caught them more often.

@westarm, before I left Toronto and moved up north I had just figured out how to catch carp consistently only to find that there were not many to be had up north. That carp pic is from a trip I made to Rice lake in Peterborough where we caught and released over 20 carp over 2 days all weighing 10-21lbs. It was the best carp fishing I had ever seen and it was all from the dock. It was pretty hard on the arms but great for the soul.

sounds like a great trip to me catching them big brutes. we used to fish Peterborough area once a year but have since stopped going about 10 years ago. we would do a fall muskie trip thanksgiving weekend and had decent success.
carp, sucker sheephead when they get that big they are all fun!!

from Toronto to the northland! what a wonderful upgrade! congrats!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace