Outdoors Forum
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Highway 400 Disaster
minnkota
Posted: Nov 01, 2017 - 05:23 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 766

Couldn't believe this disaster. Can't even go for a drive anymore. Terrible! 2 tankers full of fuel and oil slam into cars stuck in traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpGOTWEiKTY

Environmental disaster too into the ground water.

What the hell is wrong with these truck drivers!

PMEmail Poster
Bayliner
Posted: Nov 01, 2017 - 05:45 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 22

IMO, the problem is driving schools. Either car or truck, they don't teach people how to drive. They only teach people how to pass their drivers test.

Driver instructor credentials are easier to get than a drivers licence.

Our roads are a bloody mess with people that should NOT have a licence.

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Nov 01, 2017 - 05:45 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

What a tragic and devastating accident

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Nov 01, 2017 - 06:09 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Tragic and preventable...
I see it everyday on all roads.. Everyone is right on your bumper and it doesn't matter if your doing 60 or doing 110 they are right there on your back bumper with maybe one car length behind you...... If you have to hit the brakes, well you know what will happen...
Such horrible drivers out there.. Using on ramps to get ahead of 8 car's while everyone else waits.
Everyday I shake my head..
Drive safe folks..

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Nov 01, 2017 - 08:36 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Member No.: 1282

No respect on our highways anymore, everyone has that "I am the most important" attitude these days.......and these guys driving these big rigs these days are no exception. Expect more of these types of horrific accidents to keep happening.

PMEmail Poster
1SHOT
Posted: Nov 01, 2017 - 10:27 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 7181

TRAGIC EVENT..

PM
basstard
Posted: Nov 02, 2017 - 04:40 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 8583

Everyday I drive, I get p##### off and say to myself.. I need to get off the damn road before somebody takes me out or I go crazy!! As others have said, I have seen many very close calls people being to close and not using signals and such. I had one idiot pass me in a turning lane on the highway, then slow down to 70, and stomp on his brake when I got close!!!! I watched him bite his lip in the mirror and stop down and slam his brake!! Bounced right off him!! lol! He would't stop though, would have been ugly for him if he did. Truck drivers are a huge problem on the road, they are constantly in the both lanes and some of them even speed up to 120 when you try to pass them !! Good times!!!! BEWARE TRUCK DRIVERS ALWAYS, MOST DANGEROUS THING ON THE ROAD TODAY.

PMEmail Poster
mydogbites
Posted: Nov 02, 2017 - 06:01 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 414

A very tragic event, that stretch of road on NB 400 has seen many wrecks, A few years back another trucker went off the road, taking his life because of two idiots racing their cars. I commuted for 37 years on that highway and continued to drive addition 8 hours in the GTA. Everyday I would loose count of the number of idiot moves by car drivers. Following to close, driving to fast for the conditions, distracted, changing lanes before checking blind spots and merging onto a highway. Everyday I would see cars cut in front of trucks and slam on brakes, cars driving in truckers blind spots, racing truckers at on ramps and the list goes on. When you look at the amount of KM's a trucker drives to the number of KM's the average car driver drives. Hands down I would put my life in the truckers cab. Sure enough there are idiot and ignorant truckers out there, all one needs to watch is an episode of Highway Through Hell. All I'm saying is don't slam the trucker until all the facts are clear. What I understand is the first accident just north of this tragic accident was caused by a drunk driver not a trucker.

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Nov 02, 2017 - 07:43 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

I have to agree, driving these days has become more and more dangerous, especially on the highway... Like many have said, too fast, inpatient, distracted and aggressive driving. Today's culture and society is to blame.. I don't know what else to say..

Condolences to the families for the lost lives.. Very sad and tragic.

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Nov 02, 2017 - 08:29 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

SAFETY TIP

If you are the last vehicle in a line of traffic which is stopped or moving slowly for something other than a normal stop sign/traffic light,

PUT YOUR 4 WAY FLASHERS ON.

Hopefully that gets the attention of someone coming up fast behind you.

It is a practise I follow.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
okeung
Posted: Nov 02, 2017 - 08:42 am

Fry

Member No.: 9791

truck drivers are the worst when it comes to distracted driving. just take a look the next time you are out. what they don't realize is when they get in an accident, its usually fatal - for the other party. the potential/actual damage is exponential comparatively.

truck drivers should be only allowed to drive in the right lane. just like in the states.

PMEmail Poster
ronzigator
Posted: Nov 02, 2017 - 11:08 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 11378

It's a combination of having no respect for others, and "not me" thinking.

"I could NEVER run into the back of a line of traffic, people who do that are so dumb.. hey, looks like Joe texted me, I think I'll look at my phone.. CRASH"

PMEmail Poster
VBB
Posted: Nov 02, 2017 - 11:18 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 9650

I take the 400 everyday back and forth to work and it's bad. People are yapping or texting away on their phones and I don't think anyone knows what checking the blind spot means anymore. Just on Monday about 7 cars in front of me the driver saw a construction truck well off the road in the median between the south and north bound lanes and freaked out and stopped right in the live lane. I kept my distance and was lucky enough not to slam into the car in front of me and thankful that the guy behind me was smart enough to keep his distance as well. Almost as bad as one driver i saw on the 404 come to a screeching halt near buttonville airport because the plane was coming in for a landing and they thought it was going to land on the highway. My deepest condolences to the families that lost a loved one in that terrible crash.

PMEmail Poster
Newburg007
Posted: Nov 03, 2017 - 05:39 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10129

Yesterday I listened to a couple in Mississauga make a medical appointment based on the traffic at that time of year and time of day. Not family, work, etc. How telling is that?!

PMEmail Poster
cottagebum
Posted: Nov 03, 2017 - 09:46 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3088

As a fellow truck driver, I must first extend my sincerest condolences to the families and friends of the victims. Incidents like this happen all too often, often caused by driver "inattentiveness", lack of proper training, etc. The sad reality is that often it's the "bad" drivers that make it out alive. I've been running trucks up and down the 400 for 11 years now, and I can say with a good bit of certainty that the stretch between Vaughan and Barrie is a terrible drive. The seemingly endless series of construction projects simply compounds the problem. I've been lucky - knock on wood - that I haven't been tangled up in any 400 ugliness. The 400 is poorly lit, heavily traveled, and filled with distractions (usually construction). Those 3 ingredients make up a recipe for disaster. The only stretch of road I dislike running more is the 401 between London and Windsor.

As for the "bad" driver issue, this year the province introduced MELT. Which stands for Manditory Entry Level Training. Meaning, commercial drivers will have to complete a program at an accredited school, overseen by the MTO. This means no more $500 training courses that only teach people how to drive the test course. Better training should equal better drivers, which should mean safer roads for us all. As for the distracted driving issue, that's something I'd rather not touch on, as my thumbs are getting tired, and I have things to do around the house (getting my fishing gear ready for tomorrow counts as house work, right?).

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Marketplace