Outdoors Forum
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Highway 400 Disaster
cottagebum
Posted: Nov 03, 2017 - 10:01 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3088

QUOTE (okeung @ Nov 02, 2017 - 09:42 am)
truck drivers are the worst when it comes to distracted driving. just take a look the next time you are out. what they don't realize is when they get in an accident, its usually fatal - for the other party. the potential/actual damage is exponential comparatively.

truck drivers should be only allowed to drive in the right lane. just like in the states.

As for this line of thinking, please understand that yes, we're bigger, which does unfortunately increase the odds of fatalities. We are however involved in far fewer accidents, of which only a small number are actually our fault. Also, the thought of us only running in the right lane is ludacris. Imagine trying to.merge on of off the highway when trucks can't legally get out of the way? In the states, just like Canada, we can run in all BUT the left lanes, if the roadway has 3 or more lanes in either direction. If it's a 4 lane road (like Hwy 11) we can use the left lane, however most of us will not hang out in the hammer lane, we just use it to.pass slow traffic, then get back over to the right.

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Nov 04, 2017 - 07:49 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

QUOTE (cottagebum @ Nov 03, 2017 - 10:01 pm)
QUOTE (okeung @ Nov 02, 2017 - 09:42 am)

truck drivers should be only allowed to drive in the right lane.  just like in the states.

As for this line of thinking, please understand that yes, we're bigger, which does unfortunately increase the odds of fatalities. We are however involved in far fewer accidents, of which only a small number are actually our fault. Also, the thought of us only running in the right lane is ludacris. Imagine trying to.merge on of off the highway when trucks can't legally get out of the way? In the states, just like Canada, we can run in all BUT the left lanes, if the roadway has 3 or more lanes in either direction. If it's a 4 lane road (like Hwy 11) we can use the left lane, however most of us will not hang out in the hammer lane, we just use it to.pass slow traffic, then get back over to the right.

What happened to 105 km/h speed limiters. Last week rolling north on the 400 I got to speeds of 130 and trucks were still passing me. If trucks are rolling at their "supposed" limit of 105, why do you have to be in the middle lane doing well over that.

PM
spooner
Posted: Nov 04, 2017 - 03:19 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 778

say it like it is. x2 i was on the hwy and huge trucks are passing me going 120+. WTF is that. When a truck of that size speeds by you at such speeds it leaves a wind gust that nearly knocks me off the road. IT IS THE TRUCKS doing all the carnage on our roads.

PMEmail Poster
trapperdirk
Posted: Nov 04, 2017 - 05:19 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4400

Ahh lets just blame the trucker and not the car driver who initiated the pileup . Lets not blame the cars that cut the trucking father of nine off driving the bomb . Yes eyewitnesses reports say it was cars not the trucker . I'm sure you trucker haters are making the father of nine family feel a lot better with your speculating rants . Yes he left 9 hungry mouths behind when he died .

The rigs don't stop on a dime and tankers are the hardest to control with liquid shifting . God bless all the truckers who keep this country going .

TD

PM
cottagebum
Posted: Nov 04, 2017 - 06:59 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 3088

Thanks TD. I don't speak for all truck drivers, please don't get me started on the truckers who don't think the speed limiter laws apply to them. As for those of you who claim that trucks are the danger, I can probably ask my safety and compliance manager for the dash cam footage from any of the 40+ trucks in our fleet to show you ignorant buggers that in 90+% of all cases, the driver of the truck is NOT at fault. Just remember that what you all hear on the news about these accidents is incomplete info. Painting all truck drivers with the same brush is EXACTLY THE SAME as assuming all hunters and anglers are littering poachers. There are bad eggs out there, but we all know that they are a small percentage of the population. It pisses me off to no end when I see another "professional " driver running in contradiction with the law, if I can, I'll call *OPP, and report the vehicle. With luck, I get to see them pulled over a ltitle ways down the road, blue and red lights flashing behind them...

PMEmail Poster
basstard
Posted: Nov 05, 2017 - 06:00 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 8583

This guy above me is wrong, I have family that has drove truck for 30 plus years. There are good ones but the bad ones are very dangerous. Any truck driver will defend that, but I see it everyday.

There are many morons on the road both cars and trucks, the tractor trailers (trucks) are most dangerous by far. Defend them all you want, that dosen't change how they drive. A lot of you guys have the mentality that because your truck is bigger you own the road. Watch trucks bobbing in and out of the oncoming lane lol. Oh its the cars alright.

How about half of the trucks that have "driver training" on the back? How about the ones that don't even stop to use the bathroom? The old hole in the floor trick, lol!!! Unreal!! Its the cars though.

PMEmail Poster
Lazinator
Posted: Nov 05, 2017 - 06:45 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 589

QUOTE (trapperdirk @ Nov 04, 2017 - 05:19 pm)
Ahh lets just blame the trucker and not the car driver who initiated the pileup . Lets not blame the cars that cut the trucking father of nine off driving the bomb . Yes eyewitnesses reports say it was cars not the trucker . I'm sure you trucker haters are making the father of nine family feel a lot better with your speculating rants . Yes he left 9 hungry mouths behind when he died .

The rigs don't stop on a dime and tankers are the hardest to control with liquid shifting . God bless all the truckers who keep this country going .

TD

I don't know what imaginary eyewitness reports you've been reading, all the ones i read state that the tanker truck slammed into the back of another transport, that was either stopped or slowed down, at full speed. No cars cut him off, no cars initiated the pileup.

There are many good truck drivers on the roads. There are also plenty that don't belong anywhere near a truck. Do you think that somebody who's juggling 3 jobs would be rested enough to be on the highway driving a bomb?

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Nov 05, 2017 - 11:00 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Lots of good truck drivers and there are lots of bad ones but the same goes for car drivers, good one's and bad ones.
Here's a article I read a little while ago..

http://www.cos-mag.com/personal-process-sa...ransport-truck/

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Nov 05, 2017 - 02:23 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

I feel there are road cowboys driving both trucks and cars. It's just when a big rig has an accident the carnage is magnified and the innocent/ guilty pay the ultimate price.

PMEmail Poster
VBB
Posted: Nov 06, 2017 - 08:46 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 9650

QUOTE (Lazinator @ Nov 05, 2017 - 06:45 am)
Ahh lets just blame the trucker and not the car driver who initiated the pileup . Lets not blame the cars that cut the trucking  father of nine off driving the bomb . Yes eyewitnesses reports say it was cars not the trucker . I'm sure you trucker haters are making the father of nine family feel a lot better with your speculating rants . Yes he left 9 hungry mouths behind when he died . 

TD

I don't know what imaginary eyewitness reports you've been reading, all the ones i read state that the tanker truck slammed into the back of another transport, that was either stopped or slowed down, at full speed. No cars cut him off, no cars initiated the pileup.

There are many good truck drivers on the roads. There are also plenty that don't belong anywhere near a truck. Do you think that somebody who's juggling 3 jobs would be rested enough to be on the highway driving a bomb?

My friends stepdad is involved in the business as a dispatcher and according to him there was a car parked on the shoulder that got back on the highway right in front of him which caused the truck to swerve. Could be wrong but that's what I heard from him and the man is also a pastor so I believe him. How credible that info which he received I don't know.

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Nov 06, 2017 - 09:10 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

I saw an eyewitness account online that also said that a car had pulled out in front of the truck.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Nov 06, 2017 - 09:21 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Speed was the factor that caused all... SLOW DOWN EVERYONE...
Two feet more and I would have got rear ended yesterday..
I looked in my rear view mirror and thought I was going to get smashed.. Luckily the lady took her foot of the brakes and just turned to avoid me sitting at the red light.. She came to a sliding stop in the lane beside me.. She was looking at everybody in the intersection, hands up apologizing to everyone.. I chewed her out pretty good then noticed she had a baby in the back seat..
Be safe and alert everyone..

PMEmail Poster
Lazinator
Posted: Nov 06, 2017 - 12:28 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 589

QUOTE (VBB @ Nov 06, 2017 - 08:46 am)
My friends stepdad is involved in the business as a dispatcher and according to him there was a car parked on the shoulder that got back on the highway right in front of him which caused the truck to swerve. Could be wrong but that's what I heard from him and the man is also a pastor so I believe him. How credible that info which he received I don't know.

The people that are making this up didn't bother looking at any of the pictures from the accident scene, the pictures that show the tanker and the car transport he slammed into both in the right lane.

Guess you cant even trust pastors anymore.

PMEmail Poster
Fishing Rod
Posted: Nov 06, 2017 - 01:12 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4539

Not matter who was at fault this was a very sad loss of life.

The truck was going a pretty good speed to cause this king of carnage.

So the 2 left lanes where stopped and he figured it was okay to rip by on the right?

Although if a car did pull out from the shoulder without looking they did not expect a tanker to be coming at speed.

Maybe I'm bias because the rare time I'm on hwy 12 I see trucks blowing through red lights.

PMEmail Poster
trapperdirk
Posted: Nov 09, 2017 - 08:16 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4400

QUOTE (Lazinator @ Nov 05, 2017 - 06:45 am)
Ahh lets just blame the trucker and not the car driver who initiated the pileup . Lets not blame the cars that cut the trucking  father of nine off driving the bomb . Yes eyewitnesses reports say it was cars not the trucker . I'm sure you trucker haters are making the father of nine family feel a lot better with your speculating rants . Yes he left 9 hungry mouths behind when he died . 

TD

You calling me a liar and that I imagined an eye witness account . ? Your likely one of those that starts these crashes .

Information regarding the accident on 400 hwy. Post was shared by -
Judie Bryan
A friend sent this to the CTV News in Barrie. She is waiting to hear back if the reporters will take the truth to the story of that crash..
To whom this may concern , I was in that fiery crash . What happened was their was an accident clean up in front of us so all lanes were at a dead stop , people were cutting other people off in lanes to try and get ahead . 3 cars behind me I had witnessed a car actually cut one of the transport truck drivers off and thatís when it went downhill , we all kept seeing car after car catch on fire , I actually witnessed a cars hood catch completely on fire and watched it crash into another a transport truck and thatís when everyone kept hearing the big loud bangs and it was just rolls of fire and smoke . There was so many people that almost got caught into it but finally everyone started honking their horns and we were moving inch by inch . All of a sudden we finally saw police start coming to check it out then fire trucks , people were getting out of their cars to help others . Police had urged us to keep going as the gasoline was spreading . I witnessed it hit the forest then start to roll to the other side , the most heartbreaking thing is I witnessed one of the cars behind me completely catch on fire and just burn . I almost didnít make it out , Iím writing an email because opp obviously are siding with politics , many of us gave statements but it wasnít the truck driver that started it . It was a car that had cut one of them off .. I donít know what the odds are that someone will read this but the man that died does not deserve to go down with a reputation that wasnít even his fault especially with 9 kids . Police need to wake up and start cracking down the law of people cutting off transport truck drivers and not signalling other lanes . If people would drive with care we probably wouldnít have so many accidents . I do have some scary footage of the fire and how it kept getting bigger but unfortunately I was swearing in it . I donít think Iíve ever encountered something so scary .
Thank you for Your time and I hope you share that it was not the truck drivers fault because the police donít believe anyone.
I have copy & pasted this from another site as I couldn't Share it but I can see how this would happen & I don't think everyone should be vilifying the truck drivers before all evidence is in.

PM

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Marketplace