Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> GBay Musky - Where to start?!>
JustJiggin
Posted: Jun 27, 2018 - 09:15 am

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9565

Hey guys/gals,

Looking to plan a 3 day somewhere along the South East side of the bay...basically anywhere between Honey Harbour and Parry Sound. Hoping to target Musky but have never fished the area...for anything!

The map is a tad overwhelming..scary even! I'd imagine this is how live bait feels when it sees the Big One headed it's way...

Can anyone over any tips or pull from past experience and offer up some stories? Typical areas to start maybe? Anything will help! We are likely going the last weekend of July.

Cheers!

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Jun 27, 2018 - 03:15 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8547

the main general tips I can offer is the same general tips for muskie fishing.

Locate weeds and fish the weedlines, heavy drop-offs, rock piles etc. im not sure about this time of year, but in deeper water, you can target baitballs with hooks below them. if you can find rock piles and weedlines, especially if they are adjacent to deep water access, you will be in the right areas. there is a ton of water to cover and probably wont be able to cover it all in 3 days. id study up on your navionics and look for warning areas that say "rock pile" near deep water access. casting or trolling works both are definitely a skill in their own respects to be a master at. trolling covers more water, but casting fishes each spot more thoroughly. I learned while fishing wolseley bay, don't be afraid to cast blades (running maybe a foot below the surface) over 90fow or something with a rattle. I had a follow over 90fow casting a believer that wasn't diving properly... it was kicking out to the sides rather than diving down (I think the eye was off)

I have never fished the Georgian bay, but this is the consistencies that I hear about at muskies Canada meetings of people who regularly fish it, and they all have great stories of catching 40lbers!

for the most part, weedlines and rock piles adjacent to deep water, or troll deep diving lures through bait balls if you find they have hooks below them on your depthfinder. solunar calendar is a good tool as well. watch the weather patterns. if you find a low pressure system rolling in, GET OUT ON THE WATER!

PMEmail Poster
JustJiggin
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 - 11:48 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9565

Thank you sir! Stick to the basics then.

Good point about breaking it down and targeting a few specific areas while we are there. Makes sense or else panic mode will set in and we will end up doing a poker run out there rather than staying focused.

I appreciate your input! Cheers.

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 - 12:36 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8547

No Problem. hopefully you can get out and catch a monster! hopefully someone else can also provide you more information based on experience there. but good luck!

PMEmail Poster
Nagasaki
Posted: Jun 29, 2018 - 03:19 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 8344

PM sent

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!

Marketplace