Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Buckhorn Report
kitch
Posted: Jul 09, 2018 - 04:17 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 6900

Stayed a week on Upper Buckhorn last week fishing for muskies (myself) or pickerel and bass if with the kids. Watched the water temperatures climbing each day till late week. Totals for the week were 7 follows, one lost on a hookset, and one to the boat (38" was my guess) who thrashed and released itself as I reached for the net. Prob. just as well it did with the water temps in mid 80's. Crankbaits were the winner for me for what action was had, spinners were second choice. Nothing on glide baits or rubber baits.
Kids had bass all week though nothing big. It wasn't until Friday (after Thursday's rain) that water temps dropped and my son and I found the pickerel hitting. All were out of slot but at least we found them.
We stayed at Scotsman Point and a fair bit of time was spent shuttling little kids in and out to the lake to fish with worms and bobbers. Hard to say no to a kid who you find sitting in your boat with rod and tackle box, just waiting for a trip out on the water!

I like to think it was a great holiday but not much of a fishing trip!

PMEmail Poster
MikeyLovesMuskies
Posted: Jul 09, 2018 - 05:30 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 14137

Fantastic report Kitch. Sorry to hear that you loss one at the boat but at least you had 7 follows. I fished the whole weekend and only had one follow and lost my only fish right at the boat as well. She was barely hooked and dove under the boat and when she came back up, one head shake it's all it took and she was gone.

How was the wind on Buckhorn?? Were you able to use the trolling motor or did you just drift with the wind?

Glad to hear you had a great time with the kids. They must have had a blast.

Keep in mind that it's better to lose a Musky now rather than October in the tourney

The trophy will stay in Canada this time

PMEmail Poster
kitch
Posted: Jul 09, 2018 - 07:27 pm

Parr Trout

No trolling motor, only fishing from a 14' tin boat. I looked at some weeds in the water, timed the drift and it took over a minute to drift the length of the boat one morning around 6 am. It was that s-l-o-w. Other days it was moving almost too fast. But you have to fish while you can.
I heard from tournament officials that after my report, I will be starting this fall's tournament with negative numbers according to the new revised rules committee (a committee of one who holds secret meetings.....).

PMEmail Poster
Hank Jr
Posted: Jul 10, 2018 - 06:15 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6860

Thanks for the report another fun week with the kids . You always go out of your way to take the other kids from the resort out bait fishing your a nice Dad . Don't worry the guys from PA will help you boat a couple Muskies in the fall

PMEmail Poster
spoon946
Posted: Jul 10, 2018 - 07:33 am

Fry

Member No.: 11391

Nice report Kich. Will be up at the Narrows in about a week and always find there are plenty of fish around for the little ones. I wouldn't mind trying some casting for muskie when I am up there as well but am sort of green when it comes to that. Any advice? or areas I might want to concentrate my efforts? I don't require exact spots, I need to do my homework too!

PMEmail Poster
Hank Jr
Posted: Jul 10, 2018 - 02:48 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6860

Spoon946 I sent you a PM but I'm sure Kitch will get back to you latter good luck

PMEmail Poster
kitch
Posted: Jul 10, 2018 - 03:32 pm

Parr Trout

Spoon 946, PM sent. Hope it helps.

As for taking kids at the resort out fishing...."boat fishing" is so cool to them as opposed to "dock fishing", so it means the world to them to just be out there on the water. Their parents appreciate it too, as I often come in to find my dinner made and served as a thank you.

PMEmail Poster
spoon946
Posted: Jul 11, 2018 - 07:26 am

Fry

Member No.: 11391

Appreciate the pointers guys. Yeah, the girls are getting a bit older now and dock fishing is "boring" I am told......so in the boat we go and look for some bass spots or something with a little more pull

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace