Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Another adventure on the water, Pigeon Lake
Goshawk
Posted: Jul 10, 2018 - 05:49 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 11890

I got a late start this morning and didn't get to the ramp until 8:30. No problem....I figured the fish hadn't moved from where they were at 6am anyway! So I got to a sheltered cove and started with a top water chugger. I got a few strikes, but nothing would commit to actually biting it. So I moved to some rocky areas, but only manage to hook into a bunch of rock bass.
Decided to check the weeds with a drop shot. I motored around a large weed patch and caught 13 largemouth, but all were small ( to 2lb). After about 3 hours of probing, I decided to move to another rocky area to search for larger smallies. That's when the adventure started.
After getting everything put away and tied down, I slowly motored out to deep water and put the hammer down. Got up on plane for about 50 feet and the motor stopped cold. I thought I had accidentally tripped the kill switch, so I checked that and started it again. Ran for 5 seconds and stopped. Well, I have more than half a tank of fuel, so I went to the back and squeezed the bulb. Started right up, got on plane and died again. Now I know it's a fuel flow problem so I was about to remove the cover when I looked at the fuel line attachment to the motor. About an inch from the clip, there's a tear in the fuel line. I squeezed the bulb and the fuel bubbled out of the hole. CRAP!
I was thinking whether the trolling motor would get me all the way back to the ramp when another fisherman showed up in the cove in a 18' Lund. I caught up with him using the trolling motor and asked him if he had any tape so I could make a quick fix. He looked at the fuel line and said "be right back". He went to his front hatch and came back with a roll of electrical tape. I wound it around the hole a dozen times and that did the trick. Thanked him profusely and motored my way back to the ramp.
Short day on the water, but I got home safe and dry so I'm not complaining. Now working on my own repair kit to keep in the boat. I'm just glad it happened here and not on Quinte next week!!

PMEmail Poster
colanut
Posted: Jul 10, 2018 - 06:38 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 14818

The best thing about boating is almost everyone is willing to help out a stranger. Its a good idea to keep some tools and parts in your boat, too. Too bad about the fishing, though. At least you were safe and dry, especially with the current warm weather. I'm going to work on my new "safety kit"" right now.

PMEmail Poster
Putaforkinya
Posted: Jul 11, 2018 - 07:47 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 3100

Totally agree with you everyone is willing to help out on the water which is amazing. One thing that I have done over the years is have tape and tools at all times. The one thing I'm going to start doing as of this year since getting a boost from somebody the day after opener is having jumper cables in my boat at all times.

My battery died and someone boosted me and then lent me their cables in case it died again. Later on it did. So I hooked my trolling battery to the engine. Started it and then used the cables to charge my engine battery.
After that I will have cables in the boat at all times... as soon as I guy them lol

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Jul 11, 2018 - 11:46 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

Boater will always help boaters. As much as I hate seeing them cut in front of me and cast in front of me.... without question you help if needed.

PMEmail Poster
MikeyLovesMuskies
  Posted: Jul 13, 2018 - 12:46 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 14137

Hey Lionel, happy to hear you received help and made it back safely to fish many more days😀

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace