» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Busted, Over fishing
sdcaller
Posted: Mar 31, 2018 - 08:16 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

I got a reply from Will Wegman. It is attached. He thinks it is enforceable across border, but will get an official response for me from the enforcement section.

He also asked permission and I have given it to him to use my question in Ontario Out of Doors magazine in the "Ask a C.O Column".

The more publicity we can give this topic the better.

SDC

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Mar 31, 2018 - 09:53 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

good on you sdc

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Mar 31, 2018 - 10:00 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 9047

Nice going Ralph!

Very interested to see what the response is.

Thanks for sharing and sending to frogs n logs.

PMEmail Poster
Highlander705
Posted: Apr 01, 2018 - 08:47 am

Fry

Member No.: 5452

Thanks SDC. I’m interested to learn more about how this will be enforced.

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Apr 01, 2018 - 10:52 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10648

Awesome.....Thx SD.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Lanternman75
Posted: Apr 02, 2018 - 02:54 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 11376

stop the American bashing, plenty of jerks in Canada how would you like being compared to the scum of Canada just because you are both Canadian? I have fished with many Americans and not all are like this jerk. want to know who are the worst violators in Canada, the locals check the mnr court records and you will see what i'm talking about. .

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Apr 02, 2018 - 03:41 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8547

QUOTE (xiaolu @ Mar 31, 2018 - 04:30 pm)
QUOTE (capable1 @ Mar 31, 2018 - 11:35 am)
Classic american mentality ! 

Yeah. Like someone once told me that no fisherman (not even a single one whatsoever) from THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA is a good fisherman, which I think many of you fully and 100% agree...

I agree that this is a horrible situation and the penalty is not enough. but locals are ALWAYS worse on fish populations than travelers. look at walleye on scugog... its now a residential lake with the GTA and Durham region nearby... even if locals fished within limits, the walleye were screwed. Oshawa, whitby, ajax, pickering, uxbridge port perry, bowmanville, over 400k people.

But, I do have several Americans buddies that are 100% C&R (met over NHL18 on xbox live). We share pics all the time and they ALWAYS get release photos/videos. Yes, internet, but having hung out and fished with 2 of them, not 1 fish was kept by any of us, in Canada or US. (mostly bass fishing but have caught incidental walleye and pike) I would have kept 1 17" walleye (legal) for dinner that night (even if incidental) if I was on my own as it was in season but they despise keeping fish and that walleye wasn't even a thought (caught in Canada). Every American fisherman or fisherwoman I have met obey the laws and regulations. just like when Canadians get fines for overfishing and everyone blows up, its the same for Americans that the idiot few sets a bad rep for the many. Not trying to validate what this idiot did as I do think he should get a much worse punishment.

I have to respectfully disagree with your general statement.

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Apr 02, 2018 - 04:13 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10648

QUOTE (Lanternman75 @ Apr 02, 2018 - 02:54 pm)
stop the American bashing, plenty of jerks in Canada how would you like being compared to the scum of Canada just because you are both Canadian?  I have fished with many Americans and not all are like this jerk.  want to know who are the worst violators in Canada, the locals check the mnr court records and you will see what i'm talking about.  .

X2.....I fish with a lot of |Americans here in Florida and they are all into conservation and if they were not I would educate them or just not have them in the same vicinity as me.......I too say don't stereotype bash....it is a individual issue.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Apr 02, 2018 - 04:36 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (longfish @ Apr 02, 2018 - 04:13 pm)
QUOTE (Lanternman75 @ Apr 02, 2018 - 02:54 pm)
stop the American bashing, plenty of jerks in Canada how would you like being compared to the scum of Canada just because you are both Canadian?   I have fished with many Americans and not all are like this jerk.  want to know who are the worst violators in Canada, the locals check the mnr court records and you will see what i'm talking about.  .

X2.....I fish with a lot of |Americans here in Florida and they are all into conservation and if they were not I would educate them or just not have them in the same vicinity as me.......I too say don't stereotype bash....it is a individual issue.

X3

As a kid, all of the fishing shows from the US were the first to promote and mention C&R as well as conservation.

If we all followed stereotypes, white panel vans all have stolen children in them... when in most cases I’m sure they don’t. Lol.

A few bad apples don’t spoil the bunch, so don’t lbe hypocrites.

Funny how many were upset that the reports of the on ice dumping were only mentioning “ice fishermen” rather than the operator that was in fact the dumper. The timing is uncanny. We don’t like being looked at the same as that operator that left his mess... so don’t paint all the US people with the same brush because 1 super-idiot got caught.

PMEmail Poster
capable1
Posted: Apr 02, 2018 - 05:40 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3698

I'm sorry you have a problem with my statement, my brush may have been a little too broad, but a hypocrite I am not.
1. I am a catch and release fisherman.
2. I do pick up OTHER peoples GARBAGE on every outing I go on.
3. And I do respond to abuses of resources when viewed either when posted or viewed with my own eyes.
I don't say these things just to agree with other people, I follow the rules and it upsets me when I see bullshit like that prick and his wife pulled off.
Obviously it's not ALL Americans that do that, Obviously , but the ones who get caught seem to do it BIG, and he tried to pull the wool over the eyes of our country and conceal it. He got caught BIG , so let him have it.

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Apr 02, 2018 - 06:13 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (capable1 @ Mar 31, 2018 - 11:35 am)
Keep what you have . Exploit other peoples resources . Classic american mentality !

Your statement of “Classic American Mentality” is pretty broad. Not making the comment to you as an individual, but there were many comments that were pretty “broad”.

The hypocrite comment I made was not directed at you as an individual either... but I do find it funny that we are all upset that the the ice hut operator that left his garbage all over the ice was referred to as simply “ice fishermen”. I’d hate to have someone rag on me as an ice fisherman because of that moron.

Sorry if you feel it was a shot at you because it’s was most certainly not. I think it’s safe to say that most sportsmen are conservationists regardless of the side of boarder they reside on.

They caught a real doozy of an offender, and thankfully he will be paying the price. If nothing else it’s a good reminder to other law breakers... you will get caught eventually.

Again, not trying to centre anyone out... the folks on this forum are champions of conservation, it’s just not a good idea to blast an entire country for one persons actions.

PMEmail Poster
Putaforkinya
Posted: Apr 02, 2018 - 11:00 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 3100

QUOTE (capable1 @ Mar 31, 2018 - 09:32 am)
What a Jack a##. A 10 year ban , how about never fish CANADA AGAIN!!! Get out!!! I hope they took his boat TOO!

Agreed.

Also I wonder how many times he's done this before. U don't just get lucky and catch 95 walleye and happen to have a bottomless freezer. He's probably been doing this for years.

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Apr 03, 2018 - 12:35 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 6034

QUOTE (Lanternman75 @ Apr 02, 2018 - 03:54 pm)
stop the American bashing, plenty of jerks in Canada how would you like being compared to the scum of Canada just because you are both Canadian?  I have fished with many Americans and not all are like this jerk.  want to know who are the worst violators in Canada, the locals check the mnr court records and you will see what i'm talking about.  .

100%. Plenty of great American anglers who follow the rules and pay for the privilege to enjoy our resources. His nationality or place of birth have nothing to do with it. He is a poacher and I doubt there is a country in the world that doesn't have them.

As far as his penalty goes - I think it's a joke. If it was up to me, I wouldn't have worried too much about collecting the fine as his vehicle and boat would still be up here. And he should be banned from ever entering Canada - never mind fishing. I don't know what kind of agreements Michigan and Ontario have but if I was the Michigan DNR I'd see about revoking his license there too. No region needs guys like this on their waters.

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Apr 03, 2018 - 05:30 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

Always blaming a certain group to satisfy yourself. When an Asian name comes up... people bash and brush all asians with one colour. When an American breaks the law... someone brush all Americans with one colour.... when a status card holder makes headlines... someone is also quick to brush them all with the same colour. Here is a link of the recent courts judgements... 9/10 are NOT American, Asian and status card holders. Majority of these fines are on born English speaking Canadians.

http://mnrwatch.com/category/offenses/

Do you know how many times I have heard from anglers... “I don’t get checked... I am not Asian”

Well those A**holes can keep thinking like that and end up on that site one day.

PMEmail Poster
Originalfive
Posted: Apr 03, 2018 - 07:19 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 10835

This guy is not stupid. He personally had a secret compartment built in his trailer for the purpose of over fishing. He has been doing this for a very long time and glad to know that he finally got caught. I can't imagine how many years he's been doing this in our waters. One thing though is that he probably knew he'd get a slap in the wrist for over fishing in Canadian waters as oppose to fishing in waters in the United States. I'm sure if this happened in the States he'd be giving jail time and automatic license suspension. He'll be flagged and probably pulled over and asked every time if he'd been fishing. Now that he's back in the States hopefully the State of Michigan keeps an eye of this individual.

There is many people of every colour doing this on a daily basis. No one will admit this but if you are over fishing karma will eventually catch up to you.

PM

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace