» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 > »»   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Charges for Ice Rescues
minnkota
Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 03:41 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 766

https://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/83117...georgina-bylaw/

The Town of Georgina passed a bylaw in 2013 stipulating that if the fire department attends the scene of a water or ice rescue on Lake Simcoe, when warnings have been issued by law enforcement, the conservation authority or other agencies, “or where it would be reasonably known that ice conditions are unsafe ... a fee shall be charged to person(s) rescued.”

The bylaw also states that “should the [department] attend the scene of a reported motor vehicle incident on Lake Simcoe involving a snowmobile, automobile, ATV or any other motorized vehicle, the driver shall be charged a fee" based on the $460 per hour rate the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) gives municipalities for fire response services on provincial highways.

Under the bylaw, cost recovery could be as much as $1,500 depending on the call.

PMEmail Poster
JAYG79
Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 03:50 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 8002

This happened to a guy on scugog 2 years ago. They charged him over 4 grand to rescue him after warnings were posted the ice wasn't safe. Imo it's a good thing hit them financially sad that money has to be the voice of reason over common sense.

PMEmail Poster
JWPHOTO
Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 04:48 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 14974

Maybe they should take the money out of the MILLIONS of dollars spent by ice fishermen every year around the Lake Simcoe area.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
brucewayne89
Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 04:49 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15430

agreed....happy they started to charge the guys after warnings. I never like hearing someone being charged....but a little common sense goes a long way. Why should the tax payers have to pay....

This post has been edited by brucewayne89 on Mar 08, 2018 - 04:50 pm

PMEmail Poster
canuckskin
Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 06:08 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 12767

QUOTE (JWPHOTO @ Mar 08, 2018 - 05:48 pm)
Maybe they should take the money out of the MILLIONS of dollars spent by ice fishermen every year around the Lake Simcoe area.

Makes you wonder what happens with our tax dollars?

Lord knows that the big boys club has been hitting my weekly pay cheques hard for the past 33 years of my working life.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 08:59 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

the kicker with this is that law enfore=cement always deems the ice unsafe

pure bs to me

fire dept needs to stay off ice then......

so many other rescues each year for other situations and no charge

Miha
Posted: Mar 09, 2018 - 06:14 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4230

Old story, old argument. As far as I'm concerned any fee for any rescue effort = more dead bodies. For example a guy who finds himself in an iffy situation on the ice will think twice before calling 911 if he faces multi-K fee. Guess what. He might not have a third chance to think, being dead. So everybody can decide for himself what he values more - budget of Georgina township (for example) or a life of a human.

PMUsers Website
ldub
Posted: Mar 09, 2018 - 06:37 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4441

Anytime someone needs assistance it should be provided free of charge period. If there is an illegal act involved charges should be laid period, pretty simple.

PMEmail Poster
uber_matt
Posted: Mar 09, 2018 - 06:45 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5795

Nobody makes you go on the ice, if you make the choice to go out then you accept the risk of getting in a bad situation. The firefighters/police/ municipality now incur a large cost to come get you. I understand that ice fishing feeds a large economic benefit to many communities around Lake Simcoe and many other lakes I myself fish Lake Simcoe but don't live in an adjacent town/township, I accept the risk that is always present when on any ice why should the taxpayers there be forced to pay to get you off the ice?

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Mar 09, 2018 - 06:49 pm

Trophy Trout

No different then hitting the road on a stormy night to get a pack of smokes, or hit the bowling alley.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Mar 09, 2018 - 07:23 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (Miha @ Mar 09, 2018 - 06:14 pm)
Old story, old argument. As far as I'm concerned any fee for any rescue effort = more dead bodies. For example a guy who finds himself in an iffy situation on the ice will think twice before calling 911 if he faces multi-K fee. Guess what. He might not have a third chance to think, being dead. So everybody can decide for himself what he values more - budget of Georgina township (for example) or a life of a human.

very good point

besides, tax dollars already paying for fire Department, no?

perchinator
Posted: Mar 09, 2018 - 07:30 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4768

you can argue all you want. The town is now charging people for rescues. They are sending out invoices to the people who called and needed to be rescued. Dont get into trouble on the ice! or get your check book ready!

PMEmail Poster
canuckskin
Posted: Mar 09, 2018 - 07:44 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 12767

QUOTE (perchinator @ Mar 09, 2018 - 08:30 pm)
you can argue all you want. The town is now charging people for rescues. They are sending out invoices to the people who called and needed to be rescued. Dont get into trouble on the ice! or get your check book ready!

same can be said for those that need an Ambulance.

those bills are not pretty either...

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Mar 09, 2018 - 08:16 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (perchinator @ Mar 09, 2018 - 07:30 pm)

What's done is done agreed. Safety is a big money business in disguise.

PMEmail Poster
Miha
Posted: Mar 09, 2018 - 10:06 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4230

QUOTE (perchinator @ Mar 09, 2018 - 07:30 pm)

Just don't give your name and address to anybody but police.
Town - they can send all they want. Somewhere.

PMUsers Website

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 > »»  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace