Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What Equipment is Failing? Stretch a few more wks, Trying to keep it working!
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Mar 10, 2018 - 11:10 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9047

I figure I canít be the only one that has some gear that Iím desperately trying to stretch using until the end of the season...

My Clam hut broke a pole and snapped the ball joint cuff about 3 weeks ago in a crazy wind storm.
So far I have tried everything from mini wood blocks in the lower sleeve to make up the space for the lost chunk of pole, drilled out the broken pole end and used some plumbing parts to keep the pole in the hub, duct tape of course... multiple places and copious amounts, and no, itís still not really fixed. Now I am just tucking the pole behind the hub to keep the wall from caving in. Lol.

On my last attempt to fix it again tonight I discovered that a pole butt end that slides in the sleeve in the corner has broken through, so I wedged something in the sleeve to keep it from sliding out the other side... seems itís working to keep the other wall from collapsing for now!

My auger has been having some issues since it was lent out... going through blades like crazy. They are breaking at a ridiculous rate likely due to the support plates being bent or something.

There is more... but thatís enough for now. End of ice season will send the gear to the graveyard, but I need to squeeze just a few more weeks out of it!

What Macgyver type repairs have you been doing to extend your gear just a bit longer? Every year I need to pull out some heroics to get to the end of the season with my ice equipment... I canít be the only one!!!

PMEmail Poster
basstard
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 02:33 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 8583

The start of the season was like this for me, heater wouldn't work in -30 bike wouldn't start when getting to the lake, the atv would freeze up on the drive, would start before leaving the house. Luckily I was ready and brought the pull sleds each time. Also I have the same problem with one pole breaking through a corner of my pop up, would love to hear a solution.

I have used it for 2 years the way it is, I just pop that side out last, and make sure you push the pole back in and wrap the skirt around it. Make sure that side is on the least windy side when setting up.

Things will turn around , just keep toughing it out. Goodluck man.

PMEmail Poster
canuckskin
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 06:32 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 12767

I bet if you call Clam, or email them, they'd probably send you some poles for your hut. Free of charge.

PMEmail Poster
Dee004
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 07:30 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 12369

That sucks about the hut. The auger I can surely sympathize with you. Lent mine out a few weeks back and it came back resembling a banana with only an oops.

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 08:20 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 9047

QUOTE (Dee004 @ Mar 11, 2018 - 07:30 am)
That sucks about the hut. The auger I can surely sympathize with you. Lent mine out a few weeks back and it came back resembling a banana with only an oops.

Lol, wow that sucks!
Whatís that I heard about augers ???

There are 2 things you never lend someone... your underwear and your auger!

Only response I can think of for ya...
Oops... my foot slipped and kick you in the a**!

PMEmail Poster
DOM8TR
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 09:25 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 7680

QUOTE (BlackCrowe13 @ Mar 11, 2018 - 09:20 am)
QUOTE (Dee004 @ Mar 11, 2018 - 07:30 am)

Lol, wow that sucks!
Whatís that I heard about augers ???

There are 2 things you never lend someone... your underwear and your auger!

Only response I can think of for ya...
Oops... my foot slipped and kick you in the a**!

X2

PMEmail Poster
mydogbites
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 10:11 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 414

Two more Do Not Lend
chainsaw
kicker outboard

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 10:28 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

I never lend anything with sharp edges, people will either hurt themselves or break it.

PM
Rdevries
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 12:16 pm

Fry

Member No.: 13876

What ever happened to if you borrow something make sure it goes back in the same if not better condition? If you break it then fix it before you return.

PMEmail Poster
browns
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 12:23 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8626

Driveway markers make great replacement poles .....I was able to knock the ball off my broken pole and get it into the replace ment ....just make sure you bottom out the new pole into the ball part.

PMEmail Poster
N4X1Z0
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 12:27 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12473

Even our local Rent All Store won't lend certain things out eg their new stump grinder

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 12:41 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Rdevries @ Mar 11, 2018 - 12:16 pm)
What ever happened to if you borrow something make sure it goes back in the same if not better condition? If you break it then fix it before you return.

A lot of people don't even understand the concept of not applying a chainsaw to the ground, they're not make to cut gravel. Wood chisels don't cut nails, Hardpoint handsaws don't resharpen after cutting the 2x4 plate on a concrete floor. A lot of people have that look on their face when you tell them that.

PM
miro
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 01:39 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3947

finished the season off with one broken pole on the pop up, burned a 12x12" hole in my one man flip rod bag is toast cleats are being held together with two dozen tie straps my 5lb tank expired and my I phone is sitting on the bottom of island lake reservoir. Nothing out of the ordinary for me. Over all, probably one of the best ice fishing seasons ever.
P.S, Never ever lend out your ladder or painting supplies,100% guarantee you'll never see them again.

PMEmail Poster
Grandpa Jim
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 04:44 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5550

I'm struggling with maintaining the few functioning grey cells with which I have been blessed!!
Actually I picked up an Eskimo Quick 3 hub hut which I am quite happy with until it comes time to wrap it up and place it back in the bag with which it came. A real battle to get the buqqer back in the bag. Add to that the embarrassment of having fishing buddies calling a full half hour prior to the established departure time to "remind" me to start taking down my hut so they don't have to wait on their quads in the cold, windy conditions.
Any constructive suggestions to speed up the packing procedure would be greatly appreciated.
If all else fails, a bigger/wider storage bag seems to be a likely solution.

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 06:07 pm

World Record Trout

Water proof marker and some Gorilla tape. At each point you have to insert a pole or push something, each spot gets a piece of tape with consecutive numbers. Now all you have to do is go backwards on take down.

PM

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace