Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What Equipment is Failing? Stretch a few more wks, Trying to keep it working!
Grandpa Jim
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 07:48 pm

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 5550

Fisherman- thanks for the response but my problem is restricted to wrestling a bulky pop up hut into a very tight storage bag. The hut requires no parts to be removed. It folds up very easily with all the hubs aligning perfectly. No need to insert or disconnect poles. The bulkiness of the tent material makes slipping the whole affair into a restrictive storage bag something akin to me attempting to don a pair of very snug designer jeans!! I have tried wrapping the collapsed hut with a soft woven rope to compress the bulgy sections but this operation is very challenging when the wind is up and you're fishing solo. My wife suggested using one of my golf travel bags but they are all a bit short of the 54" length of the folded hut. Kind of a shame the manufacturer seems to have skimped a bit with the size of the storage bag provided.

PMEmail Poster
basstard
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 07:51 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 8583

Find a bigger bag, I had the same problem. Much quicker and easier now.

PMEmail Poster
miro
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 07:57 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3947

Grandpa Jim, go to Canadian Tire and pick up a hockey equipment bag. Im sure you can get one for around 20 bucks at this time of year.

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 09:56 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

I don't use the bag when packing up. Need to set up and dry at home anyway. Then it goes in the bag.

PMEmail Poster
moose1948
Posted: Mar 12, 2018 - 06:59 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 10864

same here bring it home out of the bag let it dry them put it the bag

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Mar 12, 2018 - 07:16 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

Well, two days ago on Saturday off BBP, right after I drilled a hole with my Milwaukee electric drill with CLAM adapter, I accidentally "drilled" my Lowrance Hook 5 fishfinder, and totally destroyed it (both the head unit and the transducer are now a total door stopper!:-). And I skunked.

Well, it's time I got an excuse to upgrade my fishfinder. Again! Attached Image Attached Image

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Fishsniffer
Posted: Mar 12, 2018 - 07:20 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1597

QUOTE (BlackCrowe13 @ Mar 10, 2018 - 11:10 pm)
I figure I canít be the only one that has some gear that Iím desperately trying to stretch using until the end of the season...

My Clam hut broke a pole and snapped the ball joint cuff about 3 weeks ago in a crazy wind storm.
So far I have tried everything from mini wood blocks in the lower sleeve to make up the space for the lost chunk of pole, drilled out the broken pole end and used some plumbing parts to keep the pole in the hub, duct tape of course... multiple places and copious amounts, and no, itís still not really fixed.  Now I am just tucking the pole behind the hub to keep the wall from caving in. Lol.

On my last attempt to fix it again tonight I discovered that a pole butt end that slides in the sleeve in the corner has broken through, so I wedged something in the sleeve to keep it from sliding out the other side... seems itís working to keep the other wall from collapsing for now!

My auger has been having some issues since it was lent out... going through blades like crazy.  They are breaking at a ridiculous rate likely due to the support plates being bent or something. 

There is more... but thatís enough for now.  End of ice season will send the gear to the graveyard, but I need to squeeze just a few more weeks out of it!

What Macgyver type repairs have you been doing to extend your gear just a bit longer?  Every year I need to pull out some heroics to get to the end of the season with my ice equipment... I canít be the only one!!!

I have Ht shack pop up . I Took out all the poles and Cuffs.

More than welcome to help your self to some spare poles if they fit .

Pm the size or if you want to swing by with it and see if they fit .

Cheers ,
Dan

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Mar 12, 2018 - 07:37 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

QUOTE (xiaolu @ Mar 12, 2018 - 07:16 am)
Well, two days ago on Saturday off BBP, right after I drilled a hole with my Milwaukee electric drill with CLAM adapter, I accidentally "drilled" my Lowrance Hook 5 fishfinder, and totally destroyed it (both the head unit and the transducer are now a total door stopper!:-). And I skunked.

Well, it's time I got an excuse to upgrade my fishfinder. Again! Attached Image Attached Image

Your dangerous, how did you manage to get the F/F under the pokey end of the drill without noticing that.

PM
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Mar 12, 2018 - 08:04 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9047

QUOTE (Fishsniffer @ Mar 12, 2018 - 07:20 am)
QUOTE (BlackCrowe13 @ Mar 10, 2018 - 11:10 pm)
I figure I canít be the only one that has some gear that Iím desperately trying to stretch using until the end of the season...

My Clam hut broke a pole and snapped the ball joint cuff about 3 weeks ago in a crazy wind storm.
So far I have tried everything from mini wood blocks in the lower sleeve to make up the space for the lost chunk of pole, drilled out the broken pole end and used some plumbing parts to keep the pole in the hub, duct tape of course... multiple places and copious amounts, and no, itís still not really fixed.† Now I am just tucking the pole behind the hub to keep the wall from caving in. Lol.

On my last attempt to fix it again tonight I discovered that a pole butt end that slides in the sleeve in the corner has broken through, so I wedged something in the sleeve to keep it from sliding out the other side... seems itís working to keep the other wall from collapsing for now!

My auger has been having some issues since it was lent out... going through blades like crazy.† They are breaking at a ridiculous rate likely due to the support plates being bent or something.†

There is more... but thatís enough for now.† End of ice season will send the gear to the graveyard, but I need to squeeze just a few more weeks out of it!

What Macgyver type repairs have you been doing to extend your gear just a bit longer?† Every year I need to pull out some heroics to get to the end of the season with my ice equipment... I canít be the only one!!!

I have Ht shack pop up . I Took out all the poles and Cuffs.

More than welcome to help your self to some spare poles if they fit .

Pm the size or if you want to swing by with it and see if they fit .

Cheers ,
Dan

Thanks Dan. Appreciate that offer. Will take some measurements and shoot ya a PM.
Best,
John

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Mar 12, 2018 - 08:26 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

QUOTE (Fisherman @ Mar 12, 2018 - 08:37 am)

Your dangerous, how did you manage to get the F/F under the pokey end of the drill without noticing that.

yeah!! Glad it wasn't your foot!! Maybe Baffin makes safety boots!!!

PMEmail Poster
browns
Posted: Mar 12, 2018 - 09:37 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8626

Did it accidentally turn on while dragging your hut out to your spot ? I had this happen once and can't believe how lucky I was that it didn't wreck anything. Now I always make sure to turn off my drill when not in use.

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Mar 12, 2018 - 10:38 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (browns @ Mar 12, 2018 - 09:37 am)

Did it accidentally turn on while dragging your hut out to your spot ? I had this happen once and can't believe how lucky I was that it didn't wreck anything. Now I always make sure to turn off my drill when not in use.

that's right. I drilled the hole, and then put down the auger, but the handle on the CLAM plate which one'd pull away to start/power on drill somehow triggered the drill!!!!

Now you always make sure to turn off your drill when not in use? Thanks, and good to know and learn (I assume you meant the switch on the drill that you can push back and forth to turn off, turn on or reverse). Thanks again for the tip!

PMEmail PosterYahoo
browns
Posted: Mar 12, 2018 - 03:51 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8626

Ya I just put that in the middle so it can't happen by accident ....as soon as it happened I though about how dangerous that could be as far as being cut....I think losing my fish finder to it would be even worse lol. A reason to upgrade I guess?

PMEmail Poster
Grandpa Jim
Posted: Mar 12, 2018 - 04:50 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5550

Sincere thanks to all for suggestions concerning my problem with the pop-up storage bag. Getting a larger bag was my first thought. Finding a bag of proper length (needs to be 54") has proven to be a real stumbling block. None of the hockey bags I've investigated come anywhere near that length. I think for the time being I'll use my old golf travel bag along with a generous (but too short) canvas sea bag with the latter covering the former.
I got a very quick response from Eskimo suggesting using hands to compress the hut covering material while working the bag up and over the hut. I have very large hands and extremely long arms but wrestling with the sack and hut just doesn't work for me. Eskimo admitted that the storage bag is a very tight fit. I offered to buy a larger bag from them and I am waiting for a response.

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Mar 12, 2018 - 04:58 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

Maybe call Barrie Tent & Awning and they can make you one.

PM

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace