Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> March 10-11-12, Whitefish Beatdown
crawdad_79
Posted: Mar 13, 2018 - 08:48 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 2923

A couple out-of-towners made it up for three days fishing, couldn't have asked for much more, weather wise and fish wise. I like to get up to beautiful Lake Simcoe once a year around this time. I was keeping an eye on the weather and ice reports for the last couple weeks, although access information was vague we made the trip hoping for the best.
I studied Navionics and we tried a new spot I had never accessed, a little bit nervous when we were the only vehicle there on a Saturday but with a little spud work we found the access to be perfect.
Made our way out at sunrise, the spot we were heading to was met by a good size pressure crack just before we got to it. With the strong north wind we decided to play it safe and fish the inside of it. We wet lines in 47 fow and within 20 min the first fish was topside
Attached Image

After that the flood gates opened and my buddy iced his very first whitefish!
Attached Image

We proceeded to catch our limit and release many more, some un-intentionally, we learned fairly quick to take your time at the hole Amazing first day, even a Burbot was dropped at the hole. Slowed down in the afternoon but still marked a fair number so we stuck it out, picking a few off here and there. A quick visit by the MNR and OPP and they were on there way, don't know how they found us, there wasn't another soul for miles ;D

We headed off the ice around 5 to get some grub and prep for day 2

Day 2 was here an hour earlier than it should have been, tired and sun-burnt we got off to a late start..
We decided on a different access in hopes to run into a Laker, it didn't happen. It was slower than day 1 but we got some more whitefish,
Attached Image

Attached Image

Coming off the ice at 6:00 the access point was a mess. We were lucky to not get wet. Being the last ones off the access ice was just a couple floating slabs with some boards to tight rope across, but we managed.

Day 3 would be just a morning fish before we made the 4 hour drive home. So we opted to go to day one spot, this time we crossed the pressure crack to try where our original plan to fish was, 33 fow and I put 2 quick ones on the ice.
Attached Image

Attached Image

My buddy was close by and quickly got on the board as well
Attached Image

After that it slowed so we went back to the original day 1 spot and iced a few more to put the icing on the cake.
Attached Image

Attached Image

I have always had a love-hate relationship with simcoe, but after this trip she is on my good side.
Till next year;
Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
sniperlee
Posted: Mar 13, 2018 - 09:24 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 939

Great report and fish. 👍

PMEmail Poster
deepjigger
Posted: Mar 13, 2018 - 11:06 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 2904

Looks like you guys had an awesome weekend. Definitely worth the drive when your catching whities like that.

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Mar 13, 2018 - 11:16 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

Great report, glad the fishing made the drive worthwhile

Some really nice whities in the pictures

PMEmail Poster
kevb81
Posted: Mar 13, 2018 - 12:22 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4937

Great report and pics thanks for sharing

PMEmail Poster
SD CHEWIE
Posted: Mar 13, 2018 - 12:36 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 3680

Real good. Well done.

PMEmail Poster
FishingChef
Posted: Mar 13, 2018 - 02:03 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 15394

Beautiful whities and thank you for the report

PMEmail Poster
crawdad_79
Posted: Mar 13, 2018 - 02:38 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 2923

Thanks folks, for keeping this forum active with the ever changing Ice reports. It sure helps in my case.
I am jealous of you’s that live close by. Such a great fishery

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace