Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> aqua vu, do that work as well as they say, any footage or comments about this brand
donnypotato
Posted: Mar 13, 2018 - 08:17 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 15247

im looking to by an aqua vu this spring but i want some experiences and storys on how they have done good or bad

PMEmail Poster
Miha
Posted: Mar 13, 2018 - 08:29 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4230

As far as I'm concerned it's just a waste of money and extra weight to lug around. My Marcum camera had seen the ice maybe 5 times and it's been gathering dust for last few years.

Pros: It's fun while novelty hasn't worn out.
Cons:
It's useless on most inland lakes. The water is usually too dark/murky.
It's useless on Simcoe when the depth is more than cable length, besides it might be too dark to see anything.
It's extra weight and space in the toboggan.

PMUsers Website
Longshank
Posted: Mar 13, 2018 - 09:30 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

liked mine for 3 years and then got rid of it for exact reasons Miha described

I don't make u tube vids, so another reason not to have one

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
thrillhouse
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 05:01 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 3420

I bought mine of a neighbor for $70. I first brought it to lake abitibi but found out I couldn't use it, the lake was so dark I couldn't see my fingernails if my wrist was wet. So that was a bit disappointing. But then I brought it out with me and my daughter for her first time ice fishing in cooks bay and it was great. Gave her, and me, a better deal of what they were doing down there. Was able to teach her how to tell between a nibble on the bait and a good hit and how to set the hook. We found it very educational and entertaining. But when I'm out hauling all my gear and I want to keep it light it will usually be one of the first things I leave behind.

PMEmail Poster
Yamaha
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 07:10 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7757

QUOTE (Miha @ Mar 13, 2018 - 08:29 pm)
As far as I'm concerned it's just a waste of money and extra weight to lug around. My Marcum camera had seen the ice maybe 5 times and it's been gathering dust for last few years.

Cons:
It's useless on Simcoe when the depth is more than cable length, besides it might be too dark to see anything.

PM me if your looking to sell it

PMEmail Poster
donnypotato
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 08:41 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 15247

the one im looking to buy is the size of a smart phone and its chargeable and the batteries will last 6 hours when fully charged it also has a light attached to the camera so visibility will be a small tad better and ill will be using it off my kayak in lake simcoe where the water tends to be more clear so i think the cons you listed shouldn't be an issue and im hoping its going to be a learning experience on fish behaviors and such

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 09:19 am

Fry

Member No.: 15807

great to keep kids and non-serious fishing folks interested initially (unless you are making videos or have a specific purpose (like knowing what's going on down there with fish behaviour and structure), etc.) and you are pretty sure you will be on fish. Otherwise, more weight, equipment, batteries, maintenance, etc., etc. to deal with pre- and post fishing. Combined sonar, video, GPS unit would help reduce weight/"footprint". These things can be important to walkers.

PMEmail Poster
Tailfin
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 09:24 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 100

There are many good pro vid's on fish behavior on YouTube, you really don't need a underwater camera (just my 2 cents ).

PMEmail Poster
Nado
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 10:14 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 8095

I really like having it for dropping it down and seeing what sort of structure is down there. It also helped me at the beginning of the season with fine tuning my whitefish game.

As for the aqua vu brand I would say there is a big jump in quality between it and the offshore brands like eyoyo. With that said if you just want it to identify structure you can get away with spending $150 on an eyoyo off amazon.

PMEmail Poster
cribpro
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 11:55 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 7538

Cons:

X2.. The last time I used mine was to recover my brand new in-line rig that got pulled down the hole on the small lake I was crappie/bluegill fishing on.Made the mistake of leaving it in,propped in the snow when I went to chase a flag. It ended up 10ft outside the hole,so I was glad I had a camera.

PMEmail Poster
Dee004
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 01:29 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 12369

Cons:

X3
It's a real downer when the fish wrap your line around the cable and it happens alot.
That being said it is fun to have when the kids are around or they aren't biting just so you can see just how finiky they can be. Ireally think it spooks them as well.

PMEmail Poster
Newburg007
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 01:30 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10129

This being my first year with the camera, I have used it solely for perch. It is interesting watching the schools and their reactions to my presentation.
The last couple times out I have caught as many jumbos as a buddy in another hut. The difference is I'm not having to reel up and unhook all the smaller "dinks" that he did. That's why I bought the camera -- and waited for it to go on sale before purchasing.
The camera is a toy for sure. I could live without it.
A good sonar unit is far wiser investment.

PMEmail Poster
Miha
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 03:28 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4230

QUOTE (Yamaha @ Mar 14, 2018 - 07:10 am)

Cons:

PM me if your looking to sell it

Sure. Sent.

PMUsers Website
Duke12
Posted: Mar 16, 2018 - 05:53 am

Fry

Member No.: 13889

Ive had an aqua-vu "7 series" for the past 3 seasons and personally I wouldn't go fishing with out it !

Yes it has its draw backs in terms of weight and your limited by the cable length where you can use it etc, but you cannot put a price on being able to see first hand what effect your "presentation" is having on the fish. I've been able to turn fish around and generate a "reaction" bite that I wouldn't have gotten just using a flasher or finder. I also find on simcoe because of the water clarity most days I'm Able to see fish before they are close enough to get picked up by my flasher.

For me the camera isn't a novelty item , it's a great learning tool that has helped me ice more fish, just like my flasher. The "key" when your using the camera isn't to treat it like a tv and just watch the fish swim around , it is to trigger bites by adjusting what your doing topside.

Lastly it definitely adds the excitement factor, there's nothing like watching your next "personal best" fish come in and make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up !

PMEmail Poster
oogie8
Posted: Mar 16, 2018 - 04:03 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8485

Definitely helps in conjunction with a hut for simcoe perch, also had success with it at quinte, but preys on my mind as to wether it spooks walleye, other than that, Id say it stays in my garage on 9 out of 10 ice fishing trips for me, Id also suggest that investing in a good sonar unit is a much more valuable buy, unless you want to make underwater video, my two cents

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace