Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Bradford Bridge
riverrat
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 10:48 am

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 884

is the river still frozen or can we start fishing? Wanna give crappies a try.

PMEmail Poster
canuckskin
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 11:05 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 12767

No more ice on the surface

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 11:50 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

Are there still any crappies at all left there (near or under that bridge)? I mean after all these years' zoo exhibition held over there?:-)

PMEmail PosterYahoo
canuckskin
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 12:11 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (xiaolu @ Mar 14, 2018 - 12:50 pm)
Are there still any crappies at all left there (near or under that bridge)? I mean after all these years' zoo exhibition held over there?:-)

Zoo exhibition.....

PMEmail Poster
thanh
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 01:24 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3415

I was in the area a week ago. there were some parts of the river that was running ice free and a some areas still frozen. not sure how much has changed since then.

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 02:31 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (xiaolu @ Mar 14, 2018 - 11:50 am)

At a certain time of year... I won’t mention. I watched people carry buckets of crappie out for weeks. I don’t mind catching them but I won’t be giving those fish to anyone I know. My family owns a farm in that area. All the fertilizer and pest/herbicide do wash into the canal. Heck they even spray directly into the canal to kill the weeds that grow along the banks. I watched a few farmers empty their left over spray and it ran directly into the canal. If you did not know.... there are back channels to the canal that runs behind many farmers fields for irrigation. They all connect back to we’re the pumphouse is. Best time to consume fish there is just at ice out.

PMEmail Poster
canuckskin
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 02:38 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (Fish4Dinner @ Mar 14, 2018 - 03:31 pm)

At a certain time of year... I won’t mention. I watched people carry buckets of crappie out for weeks. I don’t mind catching them but I won’t be giving those fish to anyone I know. My family owns a farm in that area. All the fertilizer and pest/herbicide do wash into the canal. Heck they even spray directly into the canal to kill the weeds that grow along the banks. I watched a few farmers empty their left over spray and it ran directly into the canal. If you did not know.... there are back channels to the canal that runs behind many farmers fields for irrigation. They all connect back to we’re the pumphouse is. Best time to consume fish there is just at ice out.

on everything you just said. Very sad. More than frustrating.

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 03:01 pm

Fry

Member No.: 15807

if that's the case (pesticides and herbicides are being dumped into the canals), then the fish swimming in/out of the canals/river seasonally will be packing a load regardless of where or when you catch them. They will bioaccumulate and biomagnify these contaminants and the larger (and older) the fish, the worse the load so any fish that are entering the river as a repeated spawner will be picking that stuff up each time and keeping it in their bodies even if they leave the river later. If they use the river/canals and eat anything in the river/canal, they will have these pesticides/herbicides.

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 04:08 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (canuckskin @ Mar 14, 2018 - 02:38 pm)
QUOTE (Fish4Dinner @ Mar 14, 2018 - 03:31 pm)

on everything you just said. Very sad. More than frustrating.

You need vegetables so it is no brainer what is more important. There is thousands of acres there with weeping tiles 50 feet a part that all drains back into that canal. Millions plus tons of fertilizer spreader yearly like a blanket of fresh snow fall. Millions of gallons of pest/herbicide sprayed yearly in that concentrated area. I am not sure why they have not tested the water there... unless it is best left unknown.

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 07:13 pm

Fry

Member No.: 15807

I don't fish at that location but if anyone is concerned, you can always send a sample of the fish you catch to get tested but there are some important handling, sampling, information and packaging procedures that need to be followed. Contact the folks that produce the fish eating guide for Ontario (see below). I had a friend who fished a small reservoir regularly and so provided much of the fish samples (or various species and size) that resulted in the reservoir's eating guide information....and as I remember, he was even sent a ball cap from the program for his efforts but the most important benefit was that he knew what size fish to keep from that reservoir for his wife and kids to eat without too much concern (he didn't care about himself).

Fish Contaminant Monitoring Program
Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change
Phone: 416-327-6816 or 1-800-820-2716
E-mail: fishguide@ontario.ca

PMEmail Poster
canuckskin
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 07:29 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (Flukes @ Mar 14, 2018 - 08:13 pm)
I don't fish at that location but if anyone is concerned, you can always send a sample of the fish you catch to get tested but there are some important handling, sampling, information and packaging procedures that need to be followed. Contact the folks that produce the fish eating guide for Ontario (see below). I had a friend who fished a small reservoir regularly and so provided much of the fish samples (or various species and size) that resulted in the reservoir's eating guide information....and as I remember, he was even sent a ball cap from the program for his efforts but the most important benefit was that he knew what size fish to keep from that reservoir for his wife and kids to eat without too much concern (he didn't care about himself).

Fish Contaminant Monitoring Program
Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change
Phone: 416-327-6816 or 1-800-820-2716
E-mail: fishguide@ontario.ca

Good idea.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace