» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Pigeon Lake Walleye, Catching walleye on Pigeon Lake Late-May
Texan
Posted: May 24, 2018 - 10:34 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16032

Hello Everyone,

I'm an Insurance Adjuster brought in from Texas to assist with the recent windstorm claims. Rented property on Pigeon Lake (southside) and interested in catching my first walleye/pickerel. Been casting from the pier and a little from the kayak to no avail. Of course the weeds are thick and trying to keep the lures high in the water to avoid them. Have caught a few bass and perch, but not the elusive walleye. Been throwing an imitation shad with 1/4 oz jighead and a perch looking 3-4 ft depth crankbait reeled very slow.

What kind of technique am I missing? Will a walleye hit the lure with weeds on it? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: May 24, 2018 - 10:44 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Ha! I just had an insurance adjuster from Florida check out my damage. I was wondering why someone from Florida was working here, but he told me they have 7000 claims.

Anyway, try fishing at dawn or dusk or even at night, walleye will rarely hit a lure in shallow during the day. They are low light fish. It can be done, but higher probability for a hookup with a walleye in the evening.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: May 24, 2018 - 12:48 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 515

Clean the weeds off definitely..
Get yourself some live minnows to go with your ¼ounce or even a ⅛ jig.. Morning and evening are your best chances but not impossible thru the afternoon..
Cheers and good luck..
Fishmagnet/Dave

PMEmail Poster
nuzpaper
Posted: May 24, 2018 - 02:36 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 2396

If you can only get out during the day you need to find a deeper spot/hole where they are hanging for the day. Evening/dark is your best bet. That lake is a tough one. The weeds are wicked. Good luck! Hope you get on them.

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: May 24, 2018 - 06:24 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11890

Well, welcome to the far north!!! What part of Texas and how long are you going to be here?

Originally from New Orleans, I've been here for almost 21 years now.

I'd echo what's been said so far....they are very sensitive to light, and bright blue skies during the day can really shut them down. Early morning and late evenings are best unless you're fishing deep.

PMEmail Poster
toothhealer88
Posted: May 24, 2018 - 08:14 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 689

Hi you need to rip jig bucktails in the thick weed.Get 3/8 oz in black/yellow,black/red and plain black.Watch some youtube videos by Fish tv on rice lake or Extreme Angler And you will do fine.Your best success is early morning until 11 am or e few hours before dark.Good luck Alan

PMEmail Poster
agr8keeper
Posted: May 24, 2018 - 08:29 pm

Egg

Member No.: 16011

caught thes not far from there

This post has been edited by agr8keeper on May 24, 2018 - 08:31 pm

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: May 25, 2018 - 01:20 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 6034

In the right spot those presentations will work fine but they generally won't hit a lure with weeds on it. Ripping bucktails is essentially throwing a hair jig right into the weeds and then "ripping" it through the weeds once you feel it get hung up. With a good snap the jig will usually clean itself of weeds until the next rip and it will trigger reaction strikes from fish hunkered down in the weeds. Helps to have a stout spinning rod with braided line. Good luck.

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: May 25, 2018 - 06:03 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7713

Nice catch agr8keeper. great looking fish.

PMEmail Poster
Texan
Posted: May 25, 2018 - 09:39 pm

Egg

Great responses, thank you everyone for your contributions! I went out this morning around 5:30, applying what I've learned and fished a wind blown rocky (looking) point with my crankbait. Fished about 30 feet from the shore, not sure of the depth but had about 3-4 feet of clearance before the weeds got thick. Caught 1 slot walleye and 4 small bass. Went again this evening and had 1 small walleye. Got the fever now! Bought some minnows and gonna try off the dock and see what happens? Thanks again everyone!

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: May 26, 2018 - 02:15 pm

Lunker Trout

I was out there this morning fishing for crappie early, then switched to a couple of my walleye waypoints mid-morning. I managed to catch 3 (all above the slot) before calling it a day at noon. The largest was a 26" walleye that looked to be the victim of a toothy predator with several open wounds (didn't show up very well in the pic).

I also had a nice surprise this morning. While crappie fishing, I managed to hook and land a 16" tiger Muskie on a micro-tube. Since he took it pretty deep, I just cut the line and let him go.

And a not so nice surprise.....after gassing up the boat for the next trip, I got about 3km out of Bobcaygeon and my left tire on the trailer exploded leaving rubber shrapnel across the road. Good thing I carry a spare in the truck, but my back is killing me!!

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Dinky
Posted: May 26, 2018 - 03:41 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 212

Hey Goshawk, the wife's from Nola......we were there two weekends ago......tail end of the jazz fest .....her uncle still lives there.....Meterie........the best food ever........OMG.......very much enjoyed the grilled oysters from Dragos..........I've named my boat Who Dat!
Cheers
Greg

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: May 26, 2018 - 04:13 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (Dinky @ May 26, 2018 - 04:41 pm)
Hey Goshawk, the wife's from Nola......we were there two weekends ago......tail end of the jazz fest .....her uncle still lives there.....Meterie........the best food ever........OMG.......very much enjoyed the grilled oysters from Dragos..........I've named my boat Who Dat!
Cheers
Greg

Then I'm sure your wife remembers St. Augustine high school where I graduated prior to entering the AF. Yes, it is the best food anywhere....but oh so fattening!!!!

I was thinking about the exact same name for mine, but at the last minute I decided on Bass Ackwards. Gets a lot of smiles on the road and the water!!

Jazz Fest is the best time for anyone to visit the city, especially if they have an issue with large crowds. The food is great and all of those band stages gives you a tremendous variety of music to enjoy, both local talent and world-known.

PMEmail Poster
Texan
Posted: May 27, 2018 - 06:57 am

Egg

Hey Goshawk, the walleye I caught had the exact same "puncture wounds" equidistant his left and right from the back. Scratched my head and thought, something tried to eat that fish!

Spend a lot of time in Baton Rouge with lots of family there. Worked in Houma after Katrina went through. Love me some crawfish!!

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: May 27, 2018 - 09:24 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Any luck with the minnows?

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace