Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Test for fishing license?, Thoughts
mastercaster1
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 06:34 am

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 11395

This is really a spin off from a previous post regarding a fishing violation blitz.

To be clear I am not a fan of government involvement in most things.
However, I thought I would start a discussion on peoples thoughts about a required course or something similar to get your initial Outdoors card. (not a yearly thing).

That way violators cannot claim ignorance of the rules?

PMEmail Poster
Attila
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 06:47 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11988

No; too much cost to have this type of program, nothing would be put back into the resource.

I'd rather have more CO's which would mean greater enforcement of existing regulations.

We already have electronic versions of the fishing regulations in Chinese, would also like to see this done for other languages so that all bases are covered.

PMEmail Poster
ice_addict
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 08:14 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 2648

100% Attila, Would cost way to much money and pull resources from other programs.

People who break the law will do so no matter what. Ignorance should and usually does result in a fine.

How many traffic violations do you see on a daily basis. That required 3 separate tests to be a fully certified Ontario driver.

When i was bow fishing a month ago we told a group of anglers that they were fishing in a closed portion of the river. (before opener) We called MNR and as we fished for three more hours no CO's showed up.

Bottom line is we need more CO's

Ice_addict

PMEmail Poster
sabby
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 08:18 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9998

More rules never make anything better, just more expensive.

PMEmail Poster
gramps fishin
  Posted: May 31, 2018 - 08:29 am

Fry

Member No.: 15301

More CO's, more posting of regulations on lakes, making everyone more aware of the heavy fines (new heavier fines) might help., I would even pay a bit more for my licence to see this done., no excuses

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 09:43 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

QUOTE (ice_addict @ May 31, 2018 - 10:14 am)
How many traffic violations do you see on a daily basis. That required 3 separate tests to be a fully certified Ontario driver.

Great point, those that want to follow the rules always will, those that don't never will.

PMEmail Poster
Fishin fan
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 10:24 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 6321

I think we take enough tests and courses for everything in life already. Those with no moral compass will break what ever laws they want regardless and law abiding people will pay more out of pocket. People break and ignore laws everyday and one more test isnít the answer. Enforcement is but those resources are stretched thin. Look at the hoops one has to jump through to legally own a gun in this country. We should have no crime according to our political superiors. The crimes arenít committed by legal owners or legal guns. Itís the illegal weapons and unlicensed criminals. But the answer to that problem for the gov is more restrictions and more rules and more tests but only on the legal people. Doesnít work. Doesnít reduce crime. It would be the same with fishing.

Dave

PMEmail Poster
mastercaster1
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 04:05 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 11395

QUOTE (ice_addict @ May 31, 2018 - 08:14 am)

Very good point,

I am not really on board for more government anything.
I just get so angry when I see these types of abuses.
More enforcement is probably the answer.

I would like to see lifetime bans though.
It's a privilege to enjoy our outdoors not a right as far as I'm concerned.

MC

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 05:01 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7713

More CO officers would be better.

PMEmail Poster
tjames
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 05:25 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12662

QUOTE (ice_addict @ May 31, 2018 - 09:14 am)
100% Attila, Would cost way to much money and pull resources from other programs.

People who break the law will do so no matter what. Ignorance should and usually does result in a fine.

When i was bow fishing a month ago we told a group of anglers that they were fishing in a closed portion of the river. (before opener) We called MNR and as we fished for three more hours no CO's showed up.

Bottom line is we need more CO's

Ice_addict

police can enforce the fishing stuff too, call the local police wherever you are.

PMEmail Poster
HardlyCore
Posted: Jun 01, 2018 - 06:09 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8169

QUOTE (mastercaster1 @ May 31, 2018 - 04:05 pm)
QUOTE (ice_addict @ May 31, 2018 - 08:14 am)

Very good point,

I am not really on board for more government anything.
I just get so angry when I see these types of abuses.
More enforcement is probably the answer.

I would like to see lifetime bans though.
It's a privilege to enjoy our outdoors not a right as far as I'm concerned.

MC

Accepting this as a privilege rather than a right is dangerous. While I accept, understand, and support the need for regulations, if someone tried taking our collective 'privilege' to the outdoors away you can bet I would be exercise my right to live as a human being and continue to fish. It could only take one loony government to start swaying supporter for 'animal rights' groups and gun lobbyists enough to push a ban on hunting and fishing. Won't happen soon, but one day. This I'm certain of as we are becoming more and more disconnected from being human, and our country is becoming more urbanized continually. Just because we have entrenched a list of 'rights' in our constitution does not mean they nailed every right that exists when they wrote it. They certainly missed a few.

No tests. MNR money is already wasted on everything but the outdoors and conservation. No need for more wasteful paperwork. I agree that more COs is the way to go to stop poaching etc.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace