Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Dead fish?
Brooksy85
Posted: Jun 04, 2018 - 08:47 am

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7422

I was up at my trailer over the weekenx and i noticed a lot of dead panfish floating around buckhorn lake and also washed up on shore. Is this normal? If not does anyone know why this is happening?

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: Jun 04, 2018 - 08:56 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7713

I notice the same thing a few years ago at lake scugog.

PMEmail Poster
EJ_B
Posted: Jun 04, 2018 - 08:58 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 7039

Yea itís some what normal.. I was also at my trailer on Upper buckhorn and the boat bay was full of dead pan fish. Stress of the spawn and just winter die off from what Iíve been told but Iím definitely not an expert

PMEmail Poster
Mike O
Posted: Jun 04, 2018 - 08:01 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 11803

We saw some on Pigeon Lake

PMEmail Poster
Paul j
Posted: Jun 04, 2018 - 08:14 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9597

Seen quite a few around my dock area on Mitchell also

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Jun 05, 2018 - 06:32 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Yes, I have noticed lots of winter kill this spring. We had a very long cold winter, ice formed early and stayed on the lakes until late.. This depletes the oxygen under the ice, especially in very shallow lakes and many fish will die...

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Jun 05, 2018 - 12:29 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8547

I saw a bunch of gills on pigeon belly up. one small bass. spawn stress die off, or quickly rising temps would be my best guess. I saw about 15-20 gills. not too concerning... mentioned it to my sister's fiancť (MNRF) and said, "yea let me know if you see 100 fish floating around... THEN we will look into it. but if you saw 20 gills? I wouldn't worry"

PMEmail Poster
riverrat
Posted: Jun 05, 2018 - 04:07 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 884

Same in the canal by me, lot of dead sunfish and bass

PMEmail Poster
swiftdeer
Posted: Jun 06, 2018 - 06:47 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 11020

It's mostly attributed to the really high temps we have had over the last couple of weeks when we were in the 30's. All of these fish are in the spawning stages right now, and unfortunately in their hard wired little fish brains, they spawn in the shallows which heats up first and the fastest. Because most of these spawning fish will protect their nesting sites, and food isn't that much of a priority, the stress from the rapidly rising temperatures in the shallow areas will kill a sizable population of the panfish. Unless you are seeing hemorrhages, bleeding with no signs of predation, then there is nothing to worry about at this time. It's quite common for this time of year.

PMEmail Poster
JordanR
Posted: Jun 07, 2018 - 07:17 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 14322

yes I saw alot on pigeon in the ganon narrows last weekend. I havent seen any of balsam lake at all.

PMEmail Poster
finchaser
Posted: Jun 07, 2018 - 09:43 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 14979

I've been going to a friends place on chemong for 15 yrs and the same thing happens every year first two weeks of June. Late ice /no ice does not really matter. Its unpleasant to deal with if you are on waterfront but the panfish forage is never really affected as much as you would think. Even tiny sized fish that should not be spawning still wash up, just clear them up off your shore and give the ants and worms an easy meal

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace