Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Tri-Lakes on bass opener, Any tips?
Michael Kerwin
Posted: Jun 11, 2018 - 07:56 am

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7520

I'm heading up to Tri-Lakes for bass opener, an area that I don't know well. I'm not looking for spots (well, you could PM me if you wanted to share!) just tips on rigs you prefer and types of cover or structure -- what works and what doesn't. Thanks in advance!

PMEmail Poster
scro1908
Posted: Jun 11, 2018 - 08:22 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7035

Hi Michael.

What location are you starting out from.

You can expect to find most of the bass shallow is my guess. I would say we will still be seeing fish guarding nests. Bigger ones are likely roaming flats and making moves to deeper water over the next couple weeks. I have a decent feeling that catching #'s wont be tough but catching more than a few big ones could be a chore.

Keep in mind Curve Lake Reserve is running the annual opening day bass tourney. As I write this they have 40 teams entered. They will likely surpass 100 boats as a lot of guys show up and enter the morning of. The lake will be a bit of a zoo with that and other boat traffic on the weekend.

PMEmail Poster
Michael Kerwin
Posted: Jun 11, 2018 - 09:56 am

Trophy Trout

Thanks for your reply! I do know about the tournament and expect to see considerable traffic. We are launching out of Emerald Isle Marina.

I fished the lakes once before several years ago at the beginning of July. I found that fishing any baits with treble hooks was impractical given the amount of vegetation and am anticipating somewhat the same this year; I anticipate using Texas rigged stick worms and beaver style baits, tubes, weedless wacky and Ned rigs, frogs and toads, bladed jigs or spinnerbaits, and flipping jigs.

PMEmail Poster
sabby
Posted: Jun 12, 2018 - 07:05 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9998

Finding big ones of a mystery to me on the opener, I find there are plenty of 1 to 2 pounders. I generally see bigger fish on Buckhorn cone the opener, though it does get busy.

PMEmail Poster
Putaforkinya
Posted: Jun 13, 2018 - 04:06 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 3100

My advice is get to any spots that you may know early before all of the guys in the tournaments do. There's one big tournament on opener and one smaller tournament there if you can get to the good spots before them that at least gives you a bit of edge in the morning.

In terms of pattern I'm probably as lost as you at this point. The water is colder than normal maybe the coldest I've ever seen at this time and I don't live near a lake to get out and see if the fish are spawning late or what they are doing so I am absolutely lost and hope to adapt to their pattern soon

PMEmail Poster
IRFERG
Posted: Jun 14, 2018 - 02:29 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 4936

I would agree that the water "was" colder however it is holding mid 70's on Chemong during the day. Algae is everywhere right now. More so than I remember. Water warmed up crazy fast with that heat wave we had a couple weeks ago.

PMEmail Poster
Michael Kerwin
Posted: Jun 14, 2018 - 07:09 pm

Trophy Trout

When I was in Parry Sound District with Knuguy last week fishing some back lakes for lakers and walleye, we caught and released some smallies up shallow early in the day. I caught a good 2 pounder offshore at mid-day while slowly trolling a swimbait on a 1 oz. jig head in a canoe with lots of line out; couldn't say exactly what depth it was at but it was definitely a mid-depth range in a lake whose average depth is 12 metres. My hunch is that the smallmouth spawned a while ago.

Thanks again for your insights and good luck this weekend if you're getting out!

PMEmail Poster
Henricus
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 - 10:13 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 14100

How did you make out and is there a site showing the results?

PMEmail Poster
scro1908
Posted: Jun 18, 2018 - 08:04 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7035

QUOTE (Henricus @ Jun 17, 2018 - 10:13 pm)
How did you make out and is there a site showing the results?

We fished the Curve lake tourney. Finished 9th with 14.65 lbs. Cashed a cheque to start the season.

Caught a few on the livetarget frog, some came flipping a craw around weed clumps and docks. We caught a few on the good old reliable senko too. All our fish came from water less than 3 feet deep.

Corey and Chris Johnston won with over 22lbs. Unbelievable anglers !!

PMEmail Poster
Attila
Posted: Jun 18, 2018 - 11:40 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11988

Ya, they're tough to beat...good showing there though, sounds like a fun time and always nice to cash a cheque!

PMEmail Poster
EJ_B
Posted: Jun 18, 2018 - 01:31 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 7039

I had a pretty good opener on Tri-lakes. I also fished mighty mucks tourney had 13.59 I believe finished top 15. Lost a 4+ smallie in the morning along with a brand new Pflueger Patriarch reel and a brand new Villian rod at blast off... so boys and girls always remember to strap your rods to the deck of the boat!

Caught most of my fish with my eyes closed either on a swimbait.. black kawartha tackle jig or senko.

PMEmail Poster
Sofabed
Posted: Jun 18, 2018 - 06:37 pm

Fry

Member No.: 4160

Its good to see everyone having a good opener. Mine was not as good. I am new to pigeon lake and I caught a few small ones and a musky. NO pics as all fish were small.

PMEmail Poster
Henricus
Posted: Jun 18, 2018 - 10:45 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 14100

Wow, 22lbs is awesome. Hell, compared to my day anything over 10lbs was awesome.

Nice work all.

PMEmail Poster
sabby
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 - 03:17 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9998

Pigeon was not so kind to me, lots of numbers but no size. I think next year I'll spend the entire day working deep weed lines instead, as I simply haven't figured out where the big girls go this time of year.

PMEmail Poster
adamcam07
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 - 10:19 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 6927

The johnston bros continue to amaze me. 22.5lbs. They smash the kawarthas. Smash lake simcoe. And Chris had a win on the Harris chain of lakes earlier in the year.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace