Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Question - Freshwater Aquarium, Asking for a friend
FishFinder17
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 11:33 am

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 12839

I've got a buddy who is interested in putting together a freshwater aquarium but not sure how to go about it. He's seen video's online (I'm assuming mostly from the U.S.) of home aquariums with pike, bass etc and I think he wants a scaled down version of what they have in bass pro, perhaps with less species.

I've told him it would be tough as transporting live fish is illegal, and he certainly can't go catch fish from the lake and put them in his aquarium (also illegal). So I figured I would ask here - is this even possible? Are there any legal means for acquiring fingerling/small sport fish? Have you, or anyone you know, tried this?

I know it's a bit of a crazy question and I don't think its possible without breaking the law/regs, but interested to hear what other members have to say..

Thanks,
FF17

PMEmail Poster
finsfurfeathers
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 11:45 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 656

Legally the only way is through the purchase from a supplier.
Would either ask Basspro how they did it next time you are in or ask the bait fish shop guy if his supplier also has a game fish connection. Bass shouldn't be a problem however pike might be less available.
MNR might have a list of fish and suppliers couldn't hurt sending them an email

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 12:53 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

I am an avid aquariust adn did all that years ago. I probably broke some laws during same.

I tried sunfish and lm bass.

The biggest challenge is , you need large tanks 50 gllon minimum if not larger. the second is a good decent food supply. These wild fish don't eat flake food like most aquarium fish. They prefer live. btw , Just got back from local Bass pro shop and all the perdary fish did not look well, disease and some starving looking ones..... brook trout and brown trout and large mouth bas plus more all in same tank most likely is not the best mix as they prefer different water temps, cover and diet.

In my opinion nor worth the effort, but hey go for it if he want once you pass the legal hurdles.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
browns
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 01:09 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8626

Last time one was in bass pro the fish looked absolutely horrible ...hopefully they can turn that around before it gets complaints and shut down.

PMEmail Poster
Icemanjay
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 02:20 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 13620

I think there's fish farms that you can buy fish to have your pond stocked, I'd try one of them? I'm sure they sell on a large scale but maybe if you tossed them a couple of bucks they'd give you a few fish? Not saying this with any knowledge of it but just a thought?

PMEmail Poster
enslow
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 06:36 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 4719

I raise largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, walleye, perch, sunfish and a variety of minnow species.

There is no issues with buying from a licensed fish farm such as ours and because the fish are already pellet trained they can do well in an aquarium setup provided it has adequate filtration.

send me a pm and we can discuss when you get an aquarium set up

Cheers,

Russ

PMEmail Poster
okeung
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 07:25 pm

Fry

Member No.: 9791

bass pro had a sturgeon in BC at one of the locations, I saw it when i was visiting. It couldn't even keep itself level. It was at a 45 degree angle the whole time. sadly i read in the news that it died in the next few days.

as great an attraction it is for the kids, they should do it properly instead of mixing all the species together..

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace