Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Fishing Hooks, Fish getting unhooked
Bobbin' Bob
Posted: Jan 08, 2018 - 02:25 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 2867

Hey guys,
I tend to loose a lot of fish halfway up the hole.
Anyone have any tips on how to avoid this?
Are certain types of hooks better than others for ice fishing?
Is it best to hook the minnow near the head or tail?

thanks for your input!

PMEmail Poster
hammertime
Posted: Jan 08, 2018 - 03:02 pm

Alevin

Member No.: 2895

slow and steady. You don't have to panic and reel it in quickly. Make sure you set the hook and reel it in a continuous pace, while keeping constant pressure on the line. Avoid hitting the hole when bringing it in. Don't grab the line.

PMEmail Poster
buddy
Posted: Jan 08, 2018 - 07:06 pm

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 5461

Here's a few things to consider, they may already be obvious to you, if so please disregard this reply, it's not meant to be condescending.
Make sure you have sharp hooks, I like to give my hooks the fingernail test. If the hook tends to scratch the fingernail rather than dig in, it's not sharp enough.
Make sure there is some room left in the bend of the hook for it to set into the hooked fish. If the bend of the hook is completely full of minnow or other bait then the hook sets become more difficult.
Some fish have bony mouths, for those you need a little bit stronger hook set in order to make sure that the hook has penetrated sufficiently deep enough for the barb to take effect.

PMEmail Poster
FishinGuy
Posted: Jan 08, 2018 - 09:49 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3087

Two important things I learned as a tournament angler, strong hooksets and good quality sharp hooks.

I personally change 90% of the hooks that come on lures, but I am crazy like that.

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Jan 09, 2018 - 03:04 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3521

Might not be the hooks!

If you are using live bait you may be losing fish that were hooked "by the skin" or through the "lip" rather then a solid hookset in the roof of the mouth, etc.
Walleye can be very lite biters.. I generally let them take a live minnow for a bit before I give the set, and I still lose fish halfway up the hole!
One thing I will say that never gets mentioned is I use good strong hooks. This seems to require more attention when buying jigs than anything else. What I mean by strong is a hook what won't begin to straighten under the weight of a decent fish.

Re; through the head/tail.. it depends. A fish will always try to put prey down head first. So that plays a role.. if it's one of those days where they aren't playing around hooking them through the tail can be the difference between a deeply hooked fish and an easy C&R job on the set lines.

PMEmail Poster
Bobbin' Bob
Posted: Jan 09, 2018 - 11:10 am

Alevin

Member No.: 2867

First time I hear about the "fingernail test" (thanks Buddy).
Sure enough, most of my hooks failed the test. I even had new hooks that failed. You might not be that crazy after all Fishinguy!
Luckily for me, I already have 2 hook sharpeners in my tackle box. Looks like I'll finally be using them.

PMEmail Poster
npt1
Posted: Jan 09, 2018 - 11:28 am

Alevin

Member No.: 11035

try using Eagle Claw "wide gap" hooks,
they have always allowed me to hook fish
in the upper mouth.
I have not lost many fish using wide gap hooks.
Hope this helps you.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Jan 09, 2018 - 11:46 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

ya, hooks need to be lazer sharp . both for lures and minnow presentations.
I like triple grip for lures and gamu for single hook and minnow presentations. I use fine wire to get good action and never had a problem with hooks bending out.

Even so, last year I lost all the bigger fish at the hole cause some had the hook just in the teeth and not in any boney part of the mouth. It happens.

as others have pointed out...sticky sharp

PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace