Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Any advice on my tackle?, With Anglers Haven 16th - 18th
Fishberg
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 08:58 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15418

Hello all!

I have learned a lot from this forum and want to thank everyone for their input on previous posts which I used to gather this tackle for an upcoming boys weekend with Anglers Haven on the 16th (see pic). Some recommended items are tough to find!

As a newb - sometimes I get confused on the terms used for the lures, figured I'd post of pic of what I've purchased so far.

Any recommendations on additional tackle I should buy? Anything I've bought that I should take back and/or exchange?

Really looking forward to your advice as I want to be as well equipped as I can! Took some advice from the gentlemen working the fishing dep't as well...

Buckshots are 1/2 oz (Orange) & 1/4 oz (Blue/Pink)
Puppet Minnows are 3" and 2.5"
Forage Minnows are both 1/8 oz
Thumper Jigs are 1/16 oz
Vibrato Pink is 10 gram
Sinking Rattlin' Rapala Blue/Silver is 2-3/4" - 1/2 oz
Williams Ice Jig Gold/Silver is 1/2 oz
Worms are... worms - do they work?

This post has been edited by Fishberg on Feb 07, 2018 - 09:31 am

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Icehog
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 09:05 am

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7626

I have been fishing for years up there and you have some great lures. I only use Northland lures up there. They always seem to produce the best results. You should start off with the UV Pink jigging minnow. I have had amazing results with that one many walleye and pike. I have over 60 Northland lures and they are the best. Make sure you tip it with a little minnow for better results. Good luck and tight lines.

PMEmail Poster
steeler58
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 09:11 am

Egg

Member No.: 14985

Keep it simple . 1/4 oz. jig heads . white , dull pink and red/white tipped with a minnow. Hard to believe but dead minnows have been better than live all winter.

PMEmail Poster
Fishberg
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 09:17 am

Alevin

Thanks Icehog and steeler58!

I think I'll even get a couple more sizes of the pink puppet minnow! Should I tip on the treble hook, or off the tail end of the puppet?

Will also look for the jig heads - I've only ever ice fished with live minnows so this is going to be a treat.

PMEmail Poster
Fishchaser67
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 09:42 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4782

Tiping a puppet minnow with a minnow will defeat the purpose of its action just my 2 cents ..great selection of lures ..my fav is the glo shot spoon tiped with a monnow.head ..
good luck ...

PMEmail Poster
FishinGuy
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 09:44 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3087

Good selection. You will do just fine.

PMEmail Poster
Fishberg
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 11:56 am

Alevin

Very informative guys thank you for your knowledge and patience. I just watched a video on the glo-shots and I'll be hunting them down tonight! Glad I asked, they look awesome!

I'll keep everyone updated during our trip regarding how tight the lines are.

Question: Does UV Glow mean I need the light to charge them up before use? Or am I okay without buying/using the light?

Also, any experience with the Sebile Vibrato? Lots of good conversation about them at the tackle shop, but I don't see much about them on here...

This post has been edited by Fishberg on Feb 07, 2018 - 12:03 pm

PMEmail Poster
Beekay
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 12:26 pm

Alevin

Member No.: 7034

All of your northland stuff is great. I was up last weekend and had success on forage minnows & a natural perch colored Vibrato. Tipped with a minnow head of course.

The only thing you may be missing is some hooks & splitshot for the deadsticks......You probably know this but always have a deadstick in at least 1 hole.

About the Vibrato - I jig up a foot or so just enough to feel the "wiggle" twice, then let it sit for a while, rinse and repeat. Had some walters smash it on the pause.

Tight Lines!

EDIT- you get 3 glo-sticks with the glo-shot. Use them for sure.

This post has been edited by Beekay on Feb 07, 2018 - 12:29 pm

PMEmail Poster
Sneaky Pete
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 12:38 pm

Fry

Member No.: 2920

Hey Fishberg, your selection is fine. Our group prefers decent sized medium minnows over worms in the winter. Someone may know better, but I think the UV glow is designed more for daylight fishing and the regular glow is great early in the morning or later in the afternoon. White or Charteuse and glow red are great colours and a small UV light or camera flash work great to charge them up. Tip your jig with a minnow head and use the liveliest ones on your set line. Walleyes often hit on the down fall or when the lure is paused between jigs. Sometimes they hammer it and other times you can hardly notice the bite so keep a finger on your line. Good luck.

PMEmail Poster
Fishberg
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 12:42 pm

Alevin

Thank you, Beekay - so helpful!

You Vibrato you used, is it 10 gram? Originally the guy handed be a 45 gram and I swapped it thinking it was way too big... I think I'll pick-up a second coloured like yours. Thanks for the tips!!!

EDIT: Thanks Sneaky Pete! Think I'll ditch the worms and plan for extra minnows - perhaps exchange the Rapala for a coupe more glo-shots as well.

This post has been edited by Fishberg on Feb 07, 2018 - 03:31 pm

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 01:40 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

QUOTE (steeler58 @ Feb 07, 2018 - 09:11 am)
Keep it simple . 1/4 oz. jig heads . white , dull pink and red/white tipped with a minnow. Hard to believe but dead minnows have been better than live all winter.

X2... But I love a lively minnow..

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 01:46 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

If the walleye are on they will hit everything.. If they are fussy then throw everything at them..
I like to have two lures the same in the box always..

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 02:05 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

Great selection so far but get out and find yourself a couple of Glo Shot Spoons, we had great luck on the wonder bread pattern - you will know it when you see it. Lively minnows as well, change them up frequently and watch for the quick hits when you first drop them down.

Good luck, tight lines

PMEmail Poster
landonfish
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 03:23 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 5784

QUOTE (Fishberg @ Feb 07, 2018 - 08:58 am)
Hello all!

I have learned a lot from this forum and want to thank everyone for their input on previous posts which I used to gather this tackle for an upcoming boys weekend with Anglers Haven on the 16th (see pic). Some recommended items are tough to find!

As a newb - sometimes I get confused on the terms used for the lures, figured I'd post of pic of what I've purchased so far.

Any recommendations on additional tackle I should buy? Anything I've bought that I should take back and/or exchange?

Really looking forward to your advice as I want to be as well equipped as I can! Took some advice from the gentlemen working the fishing dep't as well...

Buckshots are 1/2 oz (Orange) & 1/4 oz (Blue/Pink)
Puppet Minnows are 3" and 2.5"
Forage Minnows are both 1/8 oz
Thumper Jigs are 1/16 oz
Vibrato Pink is 10 gram
Sinking Rattlin' Rapala Blue/Silver is 2-3/4" - 1/2 oz
Williams Ice Jig Gold/Silver is 1/2 oz
Worms are... worms - do they work?

#5 candy coated pink octopus hook on a tip up with sinker! nailed it for me last time i was down there

PMEmail Poster
Fishberg
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 03:28 pm

Alevin

Thanks all, fantastic collaboration by seasoned fisherman helping out the little guy - can't wait to get out there!

Now to locate the glo-shots, especially the rare ones like the wonder bread! Going to have to stop by Fishing World in Hamilton this weekend...

$25 off of this puppy... is it going to do a better job than the $15 combo I already have?

https://fishingworld.ca/products/11759-frab...ter-combo-38hvy

This post has been edited by Fishberg on Feb 07, 2018 - 03:52 pm

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace